FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Nexus 7: Old CM builds won't install

4 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By rondnelson99, Junior Member on 17th March 2019, 09:13 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
For quite awhile now, I have had a nexus 7 (2013) wifi 16GB (flo). CM13 was my first custom rom. Since then, I have upgraded to the latest official Lineage 14.1 build. Now, I never use my old nexus.

Yesterday, I wanted to put together a little game station with it, centering around Wii remote support. I've read that the last android version to support the WiiMotes was 4.1. Unfortunately the N7 was launched with 4.3, so there is no official 4.1 build for the phone. I then read that CM used to have their own support for the controller. Can anyone verify if this is true? From the wayback machine, I downloaded and installed CM13, which worked fine, but while the WiiMote would "connect", it didn't actually do anything, and all for lights on the controller flashed indefinitely. Next, I went to the oldest stable build of CM available: CM10.2 (android 4.3). When I went into the latest version of TWRP to install it, I wiped everything except internal storage, and flashed the zip. I've tried this several times, and it always leads to one of 2 outcomes: either succeeds with the following output:

Code:
updating partition details...
...done
Full SELinux support is present.
MTP Enabled
Installing zip file '/sdcard/cm-10.2.1-flo.zip'
Checking for digest file...
Skipping digest check: no Digest file found
updating partition details...
...done
This results in an unbootable system.

Usually successful OS flashes have a lot more output than this, right?

Other times it fails. (Using the exact same file)
I'm having trouble reproducing this error wile I write this, but it was something along the lines of

Checking symlinks...
some symlinks failed.

I know the file was downloaded correctly, because it matches the checksum on the backup of the site.
I would post a wayback machine link but XDA won't let me.

LineageOS and CM13 install just fine, so the tablet isn't bricked.

So, can anyone
-help me install this old build of CM10
-Tell me a way to use wiimotes with a newer OS
-direct me to some obscure build of android 4.1 or older (WiiMotes used to work perfectly in 4.1 for all devices) for flo (I doubt this exists but maybe)
Remember, my N7 is otherwise useless to me, so I don't really care what it takes to make this work.

21st March 2019, 05:56 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 3,174

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rondnelson99

For quite awhile now, I have had a nexus 7 (2013) wifi 16GB (flo). CM13 was my first custom rom. Since then, I have upgraded to the latest official Lineage 14.1 build. Now, I never use my old nexus.

Yesterday, I wanted to put together a little game station with it, centering around Wii remote support. I've read that the last android version to support the WiiMotes was 4.1. Unfortunately the N7 was launched with 4.3, so there is no official 4.1 build for the phone. I then read that CM used to have their own support for the controller. Can anyone verify if this is true? From the wayback machine, I downloaded and installed CM13, which worked fine, but while the WiiMote would "connect", it didn't actually do anything, and all for lights on the controller flashed indefinitely. Next, I went to the oldest stable build of CM available: CM10.2 (android 4.3). When I went into the latest version of TWRP to install it, I wiped everything except internal storage, and flashed the zip. I've tried this several times, and it always leads to one of 2 outcomes: either succeeds with the following output:

This results in an unbootable system.

Usually successful OS flashes have a lot more output than this, right?

Other times it fails. (Using the exact same file)
I'm having trouble reproducing this error wile I write this, but it was something along the lines of

Checking symlinks...
some symlinks failed.

I know the file was downloaded correctly, because it matches the checksum on the backup of the site.
I would post a wayback machine link but XDA won't let me.

LineageOS and CM13 install just fine, so the tablet isn't bricked.

So, can anyone
-help me install this old build of CM10
-Tell me a way to use wiimotes with a newer OS
-direct me to some obscure build of android 4.1 or older (WiiMotes used to work perfectly in 4.1 for all devices) for flo (I doubt this exists but maybe)
Remember, my N7 is otherwise useless to me, so I don't really care what it takes to make this work.

You have to wipe internal storage. To go back from anything 5.0 and up to anything lower.
Format data along with wiping internal storage.
So it looks like you tried everything except the actual solution... LoL.
Good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to madbat99 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift madbat99 Ad-Free
21st March 2019, 06:05 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbat99

You have to wipe internal storage. To go back from anything 5.0 and up to anything lower.
Format data along with wiping internal storage.
So it looks like you tried everything except the actual solution... LoL.
Good luck

I didn't mention it, but I actually did wipe internal storage, and then transferred the zip from the computer via twrp.
21st March 2019, 07:43 PM |#4  

More
Quote:

I didn't mention it, but I actually did wipe internal storage, and then transferred the zip from the computer via twrp.

Format data (simple wipe usually isn't enough) and type yes in TWRP
21st March 2019, 08:54 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:

Format data (simple wipe usually isn't enough) and type yes in TWRP

OK so I tried that, but it still doesn't work. Gets stuck on the Google screen when I reboot. I am supposed to wipe system first, right? Do I need to flash a 4.3 system image as well or something like that?

Thanks for all your help!
22nd March 2019, 01:20 AM |#6  

More
Quote:

OK so I tried that, but it still doesn't work. Gets stuck on the Google screen when I reboot. I am supposed to wipe system first, right? Do I need to flash a 4.3 system image as well or something like that?

Thanks for all your help!

Wipe everything. Format data, and flash the ROM of choice. If it sits for a while on Google, force a reboot by holding power.
If that doesn't work try flashing a 4.3 factory image and then Boot it up then flash to CM10 ROM you want to use
make sure you haven't resized your partitions or anything crazy like that make sure your data is formatted to ext4 not f2fs. basically undo any changes you've done as you've been flashing ROMs for the life of this tablet
5th May 2019, 11:49 PM |#7  

More
Quote:

Wipe everything. Format data, and flash the ROM of choice. If it sits for a while on Google, force a reboot by holding power.
If that doesn't work try flashing a 4.3 factory image and then Boot it up then flash to CM10 ROM you want to use
make sure you haven't resized your partitions or anything crazy like that make sure your data is formatted to ext4 not f2fs. basically undo any changes you've done as you've been flashing ROMs for the life of this tablet

where can i get a copy of a 4.3 factory image ?
6th May 2019, 01:25 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 47

More
https://developers.google.com/android/images

Sent from my Asus P027 using XDA Labs
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)