FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor 7x
Win an Honor 7X!

[APP - ROOT] ParrotMod - Fix the 2013 Nexus 7 touchscreen and auto rotate!

800 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,189

Post Reply Email Thread
What is ParrotMod?
==================

This is a mod to greatly improve the touchscreen performance of the 2013 Nexus 7, on ANY rooted ROM, and work around a hardware problem with the gyroscope/accelerometer (auto rotate).

Updated 1/22/2017 to remove the problematic kernel tweaks, and fix EMI resistance for non-SlimPort mode. Note: I don't own this device anymore.

Download: https://github.com/parrotgeek1/Parro...e.apk?raw=true

GitHub: https://github.com/parrotgeek1/ParrotModFloApp

IMPORTANT NOTE
--------------

In order to recalibrate the screen when you switch from holding the tablet (your body acts as electrical ground) to not (ungrounded), try turning the screen off and on again.

If ParrotMod does not improve the touchscreen at all, it could be that the touchscreen cable is loose inside the tablet. There are YouTube videos on how to fix this, like this popular one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOnccu6Nbl0

The feature fixing the auto rotate bug might not work for everyone. If it doesn't, here is a real hardware fix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLCAeBe2hVU

If you use multiple users on your tablet, ParrotMod's app icon will only show in the primary user. Enable ParrotMod in the primary user, and it will run even when you switch to another user.

How ParrotMod Works
-------------------

The touchscreen is fixed by enabling a mode that is normally only used when HDMI is plugged in, that is more resistant to electrical interference, and calibrating the EMI detection at every boot and when the screen turns off.

The auto rotate is fixed by restarting the sensor daemon every time it loses connection with the i2c device (due to a loose cable).
The Following 45 Users Say Thank You to parrotgeek1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift parrotgeek1 Ad-Free

9th May 2016, 11:40 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member

More
Known bugs
---------------

crash when no root (on N?) Logcat would be helpful!
when you update supersu, parrotmod does not work and says there is no root until you reboot
it does not use emicbhdmi after screen turned off & on (need to keep track of whether HDMI_PLUGGED)
somehow need a way to use foreground service w/o notification on O

"HELP! MY TOUCHSCREEN HAS STOPPED WORKING AFTER I INSTALLED THIS! YOU SUCK!!!one!1!!1eleven!!!1"
---------------------------------

Apparently, there is a VERY RARE incompatibility with some touchscreen firmwares which requires you to reset the firmware before installing ParrotMod. ONLY do this if your touchscreen stops working after installing it.

(You need fastboot & adb on your computer, Google it)

1) Plug the tablet into the computer
2) Turn on the tablet with power & volume down buttons pressed, to enter the bootloader
3) download the boot-ts.7z from http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2428133 and extract it to a folder, open command prompt/Terminal, cd to that folder
4) run: fastboot boot boot-ts10-lock.img
5) your device will bootloop. just run "adb reboot bootloader" after about 30 seconds to get back to bootloader
4) run: fastboot boot boot-ts-unlock.img
5) your device will bootloop. just run "adb reboot" after about 30 seconds and Android should boot up with touch working
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to parrotgeek1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift parrotgeek1 Ad-Free
10th May 2016, 04:22 AM |#3  
Flag Congleton, Cheshire.
Thanks Meter: 473

More
OK, going to give this a try...
The Following User Says Thank You to SHABBYLEA For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift SHABBYLEA Ad-Free
10th May 2016, 04:42 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABBYLEA

try the version uploaded 2 minutes ago sorry
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to parrotgeek1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift parrotgeek1 Ad-Free
10th May 2016, 05:38 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABBYLEA

How is it so far?

Sent from my Moto G using XDA-Developers mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to parrotgeek1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift parrotgeek1 Ad-Free
10th May 2016, 06:27 PM |#6  
Flag Hospitalet de l Infant
Thanks Meter: 175

More
Thanks for you work.
Seem that your mod isnt fully compatible with xposed installed.
What is compatible and what isnt please?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA-Developers mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to jordirpz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jordirpz Ad-Free
10th May 2016, 08:13 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordirpz

Thanks for you work.

It will work with xposed installed it will just use about 20% more system RAM total

The Following User Says Thank You to parrotgeek1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift parrotgeek1 Ad-Free
10th May 2016, 08:14 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordirpz

Thanks for you work.

How's the touchscreen?

10th May 2016, 09:24 PM |#9  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by parrotgeek1

try the version uploaded 2 minutes ago sorry

Thanks PG...will flash the latest and let you know how it goes...

Cheers.
10th May 2016, 10:47 PM |#10  
Flag Hospitalet de l Infant
Thanks Meter: 175

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by parrotgeek1

How's the touchscreen?

Faster

Thanks for this mod

The Following User Says Thank You to jordirpz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jordirpz Ad-Free
10th May 2016, 11:01 PM |#11  

More
Hello again PG...

Just a quick question... Is there an interface that comes with ParrotMod? [can't find anything in the app drawer]

Thanks.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
auto rotate fix, fix, nexus 7, touch, touchscreen

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)