FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[ROM][7.1.2][UNOFFICIAL] LineageOS 14.1 weekly builds for Nexus 7 2013 (deb/flo)

24 posts
Thanks Meter: 45
 
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello,

@sir_bazz mentioned that this needed its own thread, thus I'm creating one.

I've been building LineageOS 14.1 from the official LineageOS source repository for my personal devices for some time now, and it finally occurred to me that others might find them useful.

These builds are created every Saturday night from a 100% unaltered LineageOS repository, which is synchronized with upstream every day. I must stress that there are NO MODIFICATIONS at all; if it worked/didn't work in the last official Cyanogenmod/LineageOS releases, it works/doesn't work in my builds. At Apple we called these "sustaining builds" -- they keep devices in sync with the latest security patches, but receive no new features.

Deb is at https://lineageos.disavowed.jp/deb/. Flo is at https://lineageos.disavowed.jp/flo/. There are other devices being built as well ... if you would like me to add a 14.1 or 15.1 device to the weekly build roster, please let me know.

I hope this helps out folks who want to extend the service lifetime of their gear. Share and enjoy.

Edit: per moderator request, I need to provide a link to the source repository used to generate these builds to comply with XDA's interpretation of the GPL. It is the stock LineageOS repository, located at git://github.com/LineageOS/android.git. TheMuppets binary repository was used for the vendor blobs; it is at https://github.com/TheMuppets/
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to wileyc For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift wileyc Ad-Free
17th September 2019, 06:37 AM |#2  
Member
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 43
 
More
Have been testing the latest weekly for a couple of days now, and no issues to report.

My Deb device is relegated to a dedicated Pogo tablet and I think Lineage 14.1 is a better match for my use as there's noteably more memory available after system startup than with the Pie ROMs I've tested.
It just feels much smoother.

Would've been more than happy with monthly updates but thanks for building the ROM and also making weeklies available for us Nexus 7 diehards.
19th September 2019, 05:10 AM |#3  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_bazz

Have been testing the latest weekly for a couple of days now, and no issues to report.

My Deb device is relegated to a dedicated Pogo tablet and I think Lineage 14.1 is a better match for my use as there's noteably more memory available after system startup than with the Pie ROMs I've tested.
It just feels much smoother.

Would've been more than happy with monthly updates but thanks for building the ROM and also making weeklies available for us Nexus 7 diehards.

Likewise. I was just about to junk a (relatively) new N7 (flo) on stock MM. but wanted to give a newer ROM a try (Oreo). I didn't like my O options and stumbled upon these N builds on the backend of another thread. Flashed/Magisk couple Mods. Been up a week now and not one problem whatsoever!

Really appreciate the work as this ROM (I had never used a LinOS rom before) is running so well the N7 is almost my daily house driver again. The N7 FF really has never been matched/surpassed and once you've become accustomed to it its just hard to give up that "sweet spot".
22nd September 2019, 01:03 PM |#4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 15
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyc

Hello,

@sir_bazz mentioned that this needed its own thread, thus I'm creating one.

I've been building LineageOS 14.1 from the official LineageOS source repository for my personal devices for some time now, and it finally occurred to me that others might find them useful.

These builds are created every Saturday night from a 100% unaltered LineageOS repository, which is synchronized with upstream every day. I must stress that there are NO MODIFICATIONS at all; if it worked/didn't work in the last official Cyanogenmod/LineageOS releases, it works/doesn't work in my builds. At Apple we called these "sustaining builds" -- they keep devices in sync with the latest security patches, but receive no new features.

Deb is at https://lineageos.disavowed.jp/deb/. Flo is at https://lineageos.disavowed.jp/flo/. There are other devices being built as well ... if you would like me to add a 14.1 or 15.1 device to the weekly build roster, please let me know.

I hope this helps out folks who want to extend the service lifetime of their gear. Share and enjoy.

Hi, I've just updated both my Hammerhead 15.1 and Flo 14.1. Everything has gone smoothly and all is working. I was just hoping you could clarify something that occurred to me regarding the builds.

When you say there are no modifications, does that mean that the basic ROM is frozen at the point when LineageOS stopped releasing official builds, and does that also mean that builds in between the monthly security updates are all the same or can there be other security/bug fixing updates from LineageOS? Also Lineage 15 was never official for the Nexus 5 or 7? I'm a bit in the dark as to how these things work.

Thanks in advance.
The Following User Says Thank You to anivegmin For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift anivegmin Ad-Free
22nd September 2019, 01:55 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 45
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by anivegmin

Hi, I've just updated both my Hammerhead 15.1 and Flo 14.1. Everything has gone smoothly and all is working. I was just hoping you could clarify something that occurred to me regarding the builds.

When you say there are no modifications, does that mean that the basic ROM is frozen at the point when LineageOS stopped releasing official builds, and does that also mean that builds in between the monthly security updates are all the same or can there be other security/bug fixing updates from LineageOS? Also Lineage 15 was never official for the Nexus 5 or 7? I'm a bit in the dark as to how these things work.

Thanks in advance.

No worries. By "no modifications", I mean that these are built directly from a clone of the LineageOS repository. I've made absolutely no changes to the source code. No kernel tweaks, no new features, no hidden spyware, no bugfixes (no matter how much I am tempted to do so!).

The LineageOS folks merge the monthly Google security patches into the 14.1 and 15.1 trees, but they don't make official builds for devices that no longer have a maintainer. Their official recommendation is to build it yourself if you want to keep your devices patched, but a non-trivial number of users can't make their own builds, so ...

... since I'm doing builds for my own devices anyway, it would be a good thing to make them available to others. Thus I have done so

Edit: argh, rereading I realize I didn't directly answer your exact question. From an end-user perspective, these builds are indeed frozen in time compared to the last official LineageOS build. Security patches happen as described above.

The Nexus 7 never received an official 15.1 build as far as I can tell, so I'm generating 14.1 for it.

The Nexus 5 is a bit of a grey area, in that builds generated from the 15.1 branch work fine with the exception of Bluetooth (from what I hear, as I don't use Bluetooth on my device). It appears to require a device repartition if you want to use Google apps, though, so I'm building both 14.1 and 15.1 to keep options option.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wileyc For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift wileyc Ad-Free
22nd September 2019, 02:16 PM |#6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 15
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyc

No worries. By "no modifications", I mean that these are built directly from a clone of the LineageOS repository. I've made absolutely no changes to the source code. No kernel tweaks, no new features, no hidden spyware, no bugfixes (no matter how much I am tempted to do so!).

The LineageOS folks merge the monthly Google security patches into the 14.1 and 15.1 trees, but they don't make official builds for devices that no longer have a maintainer. Their official recommendation is to build it yourself if you want to keep your devices patched, but a non-trivial number of users can't make their own builds, so ...

... since I'm doing builds for my own devices anyway, it would be a good thing to make them available to others. Thus I have done so

Edit: argh, rereading I realize I didn't directly answer your exact question. From an end-user perspective, these builds are indeed frozen in time compared to the last official LineageOS build. Security patches happen as described above.

The Nexus 7 never received an official 15.1 build as far as I can tell, so I'm generating 14.1 for it.

The Nexus 5 is a bit of a grey area, in that builds generated from the 15.1 branch work fine with the exception of Bluetooth (from what I hear, as I don't use Bluetooth on my device). It appears to require a device repartition if you want to use Google apps, though, so I'm building both 14.1 and 15.1 to keep options option.

OK. Thanks for the explanation. Sorry to ask again, but does that mean that I only have to update once a month for the security updates, and that the other weekly builds are basically just repeats? Or am I misunderstanding?
22nd September 2019, 02:23 PM |#7  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 45
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by anivegmin

OK. Thanks for the explanation. Sorry to ask again, but does that mean that I only have to update once a month for the security updates, and that the other weekly builds are basically just repeats? Or am I misunderstanding?

They're repeats. I'm doing them weekly to reduce the amount of time between the security patch hitting the tree and having a patched build available.
The Following User Says Thank You to wileyc For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift wileyc Ad-Free
22nd September 2019, 02:26 PM |#8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 15
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyc

They're repeats. I'm doing them weekly to reduce the amount of time between the security patch hitting the tree and having a patched build available.

OK. That's clear now. Thanks for your time.
22nd September 2019, 02:29 PM |#9  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 45
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by smw6230

I was just about to junk a (relatively) new N7 (flo) on stock MM
(...)
the N7 is almost my daily house driver again. The N7 FF really has never been matched/surpassed and once you've become accustomed to it its just hard to give up that "sweet spot".

Outstanding. That is exactly the reason why I'm making these builds. There's no reason to trash perfectly good hardware. Kudos to the LineageOS folks for keeping the tree patched -- the only thing missing were, um, actual builds.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wileyc For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift wileyc Ad-Free
22nd September 2019, 04:40 PM |#10  
Member
Flag Paris
Thanks Meter: 16
 
More
Hi !

Thank you for your LOS 14.1 updating release, but I have error 7 with TWRP when I try flash it.
22nd September 2019, 06:47 PM |#11  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 45
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkansis

Hi !

Thank you for your LOS 14.1 updating release, but I have error 7 with TWRP when I try flash it.

Make certain you're flashing the correct image. Boot into the bootloader and verify that the platform is the same as the build variant you are flashing. Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to wileyc For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift wileyc Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes