[OFFICIAL] CyanogenMod 12 - Tilapia [ext4][f2fs]

Search This thread

linuxxxx

Sep 22, 2013
CyanogenMod-logo2.png

CyanogenMod is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 5.0 (Lollipop), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

Code:
#include
/*
 * Your warranty is now void.
 * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
 * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
 * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
 * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
 * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
 */

CyanogenMod is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. All the source code for CyanogenMod is available in the CyanogenMod Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to CyanogenMod, please visit Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

IMPORTANT INFORMATIONS
We will not support users and answer questions from users which:
  • are running a custom kernel
  • have flashed mods
  • modified system files
  • didn't follow our instructions word by word
  • are unfriendly

WIKI
Official CyanogenMod Wiki: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Tilapia_Info

INSTRUCTIONS
First time installing CyanogenMod 12.0 to your Nexus 7 or coming from another ROM:
  • Read the official Wiki page
  • Unlock your bootloader if you haven't done so already
  • Flash a custom recovery via Fastboot
  • Push GApps and the CM 12.0 zip to your device
  • Boot into Recovery
  • Perform factory reset
  • Flash the CM 12.0 zip from SD card
  • Flash GApps for Lollipop from SD card
  • Reboot (be patient, "optimizing apps" takes a while)
  • Don't restore system data using Titanium Backup!
  • Restoring Apps + Data might cause problems and is not recommended, avoid it if possible!
Upgrading from earlier version of CyanogenMod 12.0:
  • Push the new CM 12.0 zip to your SD card
  • Boot into Recovery
  • Optionally flash the most recent GApps for Lollipop if you encounter problems
Upgrading from CyanogenMod 11.0:

DOWNLOADS
Official CM 12.0 builds: http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=tilapia
Google Apps: https://s.basketbuild.com/filedl/gapps?dl=gapps-lp-20141109-signed.zip
Recovery (SR) : http://puu.sh/ftbeN.img (md5: 18c7841b395e5f6f04718efd65123bc0)

BUGS
Report bugs for nightly builds at https://jira.cyanogenmod.org/browse/NIGHTLIES. Please keep in mind that bugs are expected on these builds. If you want something stable, choose the Snapshot branch.

Tilapia specific features
  • CMHW: Adaptative Blacklight (Nvidia SmartDimmer)
  • F2FS support (you can use both ext4 or f2fs, no need of patches or custom kernels)
  • SMS and MMS support
  • Tethering
  • MiraCast

Convert to f2fs for cm
It will wipe your data! No need of custom kernels or patches
  • Download the lastest twrp here
  • Sideload it via fastboot boot recovery.img
  • Go to wipe > data > Repair or Change File System > f2fs
  • Go to wipe > cache > Repair or Change File System > f2fs
  • Reboot and enjoy

FAQ
  • ROOT! ROOT! Give me root or i'll die!!! Where root is???
  • First of all do not flash any supersu/superuser/superman zip package to get root. Go to Settings>Developement Settings>Root acces > Apps Only
  • How do I update from nightly to snapshot and vice versa?
  • You must download the update manually, wipe data and flash the zip file
  • Can i send messages with the sim?
  • Yes you can send SMS
  • Can i use my connection to create an hotspot?
  • Yes you can
  • Are these gapps <insert random gapps package here> working with cm12?
  • Use the suggested package
  • Why today I got no nightly?
  • There were a build error or it means there's something wrong with the rom and I've choosen to stop nightlies until the problem gets fixed

The CyanogenMod team would like to thank everyone involved in helping with testing, coding, debugging & documenting! Enjoy!

XDA:DevDB Information
CyanogenMod 12.0, ROM for the Nexus 7

Contributors
linuxxxx
Source Code: https://github.com/cyanogenmod

ROM OS Version: 5.0.x Lollipop
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.1.x

Version Information

Created 2015-02-03
Last Updated 2015-05-16

Last edited:

linuxxxx

Sep 22, 2013
F2Fs Support

Information
Builds now have experimental support for F2FS for /data and /cache. A compatible recovery is requiried.
WARNING
The F2FS version used by CM is newer than the one used by existing ROMs, recoveries and custom kernels. Features like inline_dentry and inline_data have been enabled to save disk space and improve the performance. Those features are not available on older kernels and this can cause corruption and data loss if you switch back! Just rebooting into a unsupported recovery or any other f2fs kernel can be enough to corrupt your userdata partition. Always make a backup when you switch ROMs!
F2fs is NOT supported on /system and it will never be!

Convert to cm's f2fs from any other fs/rom
It will wipe your userdata!
  • If you're already on f2fs for any reason, flash a factory image to revert to stock partitions (DO NOT USE ANY OTHER WAY TO REVERT TO EXT4)
  • Download the this recovery
  • Reboot and enjoy

Last edited:

linuxxxx

Sep 22, 2013
FAQ

FAQ
  • First of all do not flash any supersu/superuser/superman zip package to get root. Go to Settings>Developement Settings>Root acces > Apps Only
  • I switched to f2fs and I booted recovery/f2fs-kernel device, now it doesn't boot anymore, what can I do?
  • Read the next post about f2fs
  • Yes you can send SMS and MMS
  • Yes you can with usb and wifi tethering
  • Are these gapps <insert random gapps package here> working with cm12.x?
  • There were a build error or it means there's something really wrong with the rom and I've choosen to stop nightlies until the problem gets fixed

Last edited:

dinozaur516

Jan 5, 2013
Baku
Finally! Yehuuu! Thank you very much for so operative work. Waiting for download. Can't wait to test it!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Free mobile app

linuxxxx

Sep 22, 2013
yay!!! finally!!!

been waiting so long for this. time to download and flash :D
Let me warn you: some grouper users with ext4 had problems booting on the today build, I haven't test it yet on tilapia (with ext4), but I can tell for sure f2fs is working (I have to convert mine back to ext4). Will report later. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: b4b4.4l1

fantabrothe

Jul 9, 2013
Italy
well done mate! just a question: for f2fs installation do i need to convert the zip? ...now i'm on slimkat f2fs version...

EDIT: it seems somehow automatic!

Last edited:
Reactions: b4b4.4l1

b4b4.4l1

Aug 27, 2012
Medan
Let me warn you: some grouper users with ext4 had problems booting on the today build, I haven't test it yet on tilapia (with ext4), but I can tell for sure f2fs is working (I have to convert mine back to ext4). Will report later. :)

Oh, I see. I've reverted mine back to ext4 when testing out lollipop out of curiosity. Was using f2fs when running cm11 though. I'll test it out first with ext4.

Btw, I've read some comments debating about staying with ext4 or switch to f2fs. Does f2fs really give any benefit over ext4? Sorry for the dumb question which may have been asked too many times before :s

linuxxxx

Sep 22, 2013
Oh, I see. I've reverted mine back to ext4 when testing out lollipop out of curiosity. Was using f2fs when running cm11 though. I'll test it out first with ext4.

Btw, I've read some comments debating about staying with ext4 or switch to f2fs. Does f2fs really give any benefit over ext4? Sorry for the dumb question which may have been asked too many times before :s
Yes, especially on this device. Cm supports f2fs on /cache and /data :)

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a
Trying it now.

First big Lollipop peeve: There is no way to disable mobile data when you are not yet connected to a mobile network. This is irritating because the default APN for my SIM card in all Android installations is wrong and any attempt to connect to that mobile network costs me several dollars per second. So every time I have flashed a new ROM on this tablet I have had to boot it without the SIM, disable mobile data first, then insert the SIM, then boot it up, then fix the APN, then I can finally turn mobile data on.

On Lollipop the mobile data toggle just refuses to show up if the SIM is out or I'm in airplane mode. So it forced me to let it connect on the wrong (expensive!) APN first before I could actually fix any of the settings. Garr.

Also still working out some Gapps issues.

linuxxxx

Sep 22, 2013
Trying it now.

First big Lollipop peeve: There is no way to disable mobile data when you are not yet connected to a mobile network. This is irritating because the default APN for my SIM card in all Android installations is wrong and any attempt to connect to that mobile network costs me several dollars per second. So every time I have flashed a new ROM on this tablet I have had to boot it without the SIM, disable mobile data first, then insert the SIM, then boot it up, then fix the APN, then I can finally turn mobile data on.

On Lollipop the mobile data toggle just refuses to show up if the SIM is out or I'm in airplane mode. So it forced me to let it connect on the wrong (expensive!) APN first before I could actually fix any of the settings. Garr.

Also still working out some Gapps issues.
I cant test cuz my sim has no internet connection, I just use it to test ril, but it looks like I can toggle it on off with no problems, try to manage it via adb shell su -c 'svc data disable'
And adb shell su -c 'svc data enable'

Updated op, now you can find SR (Cyanogen Simple Recovery), it's great for cm and it can manage both ext4 and f2fs, but there's no toggle to switch to f2fs or ext4

Last edited:

b4b4.4l1

Aug 27, 2012
Medan
Ah, dang, I'm still getting error to change /data partition to f2fs. It gives me:

E: Unable to wipe '/data'
E: Unknown MTP message type: 1
E: Error changing file system.

What should I do? Or should I use the old modded TWRP 2.7.0.0 all-f2fs recovery from the thread? :(

/system and /cache went just fine and switched to f2fs.

linuxxxx

Sep 22, 2013
Ah, dang, I'm still getting error to change /data partition to f2fs. It gives me:

E: Unable to wipe '/data'
E: Unknown MTP message type: 1
E: Error changing file system.

What should I do? Or should I use the old modded TWRP 2.7.0.0 all-f2fs recovery from the thread? :(

/system and /cache went just fine and switched to f2fs.
See op

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CyanogenMod-logo2.png

CyanogenMod is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 5.0 (Lollipop), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

Code:
    #include
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     */

CyanogenMod is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. All the source code for CyanogenMod is available in the CyanogenMod Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to CyanogenMod, please visit Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

IMPORTANT INFORMATIONS
    We will not support users and answer questions from users which:
    • are running a custom kernel
    • have flashed mods
    • modified system files
    • didn't follow our instructions word by word
    • are unfriendly

WIKI
    Official CyanogenMod Wiki: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Tilapia_Info

INSTRUCTIONS
    First time installing CyanogenMod 12.0 to your Nexus 7 or coming from another ROM:
    • Read the official Wiki page
    • Unlock your bootloader if you haven't done so already
    • Flash a custom recovery via Fastboot
    • Push GApps and the CM 12.0 zip to your device
    • Boot into Recovery
    • Perform factory reset
    • Flash GApps for Lollipop from SD card
    • Don't restore system data using Titanium Backup!
    • Restoring Apps + Data might cause problems and is not recommended, avoid it if possible!
    Upgrading from earlier version of CyanogenMod 12.0:
    • Push the new CM 12.0 zip to your SD card
    • Boot into Recovery
    • Optionally flash the most recent GApps for Lollipop if you encounter problems
    Upgrading from CyanogenMod 11.0:

DOWNLOADS
    Official CM 12.0 builds: http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=tilapia
    Google Apps: https://s.basketbuild.com/filedl/gapps?dl=gapps-lp-20141109-signed.zip
    Recovery (SR) : http://puu.sh/ftbeN.img (md5: 18c7841b395e5f6f04718efd65123bc0)

BUGS
    Report bugs for nightly builds at https://jira.cyanogenmod.org/browse/NIGHTLIES. Please keep in mind that bugs are expected on these builds. If you want something stable, choose the Snapshot branch.

Tilapia specific features
    • CMHW: Adaptative Blacklight (Nvidia SmartDimmer)
    • F2FS support (you can use both ext4 or f2fs, no need of patches or custom kernels)
    • SMS and MMS support
    • Tethering
    • MiraCast

Convert to f2fs for cm
    It will wipe your data! No need of custom kernels or patches
    • Download the lastest twrp here
    • Reboot and enjoy

FAQ
    • Yes you can send SMS
    • Yes you can
    • Are these gapps <insert random gapps package here> working with cm12?
    • There were a build error or it means there's something wrong with the rom and I've choosen to stop nightlies until the problem gets fixed

The CyanogenMod team would like to thank everyone involved in helping with testing, coding, debugging & documenting! Enjoy!

XDA:DevDB Information
    CyanogenMod 12.0, ROM for the Nexus 7

Contributors
    linuxxxx
    Source Code: https://github.com/cyanogenmod

ROM OS Version: 5.0.x Lollipop
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.1.x

Version Information

Created 2015-02-03
    Last Updated 2015-05-16
    Just compiled them:
    Recovery (TWRP) : http://puu.sh/fZrcH.img (md5: 67385e0e5e75cce59a0cfb92d6278593)
    Recovery (SR): http://puu.sh/fZrsa.img (md5: e6f5b67035f57a61e2b9d6f46988bfcd)

Built for cm12, it supports f2fs, (I did not test twrp before upload, there should be no problems anyway)

Sent from my Mi 2S
    On my Tilapia I cannot find where to edit the apn or switch roaming on and off. I have a cell signal but in the menu where I see the airplane mode toggle, vpn and stuff (wireless networks .. more ..) I see no relevant setting like e.g. on my cellphone. Huh???
    Same thing on 12.1.

Settings>data usage>mobile connections>Access Point Names

hi guys, hi @linuxxx

I have a few questions, if you please..
    I'm on stock 5.1 ATM an I would like to try CM 12.1 with /data and /cache f2fs to see if performances are better than 5.0 (I really really really hope so, even after installing a bunch of apps and restore my music on tablet, otherwise I fear I will have to revert to a custom KitKat - about that: does someone know a place where CM 11 nightly are still stored? Jankins miss all KitKat builds!!! :( ).

I would like to do something like that:
    - flash last TWRP for tilapia
    - wipe wipe wipe
    - sideload boot the recovery you mention in the the third post -----> puu.sh/g13Tu.img
    - F2FS repair /data and /cache
    - (reboot into same sideloaded booted recovery)
    - flash and flash
    - reboot and enjoy

Is all that right? If yes:
    1. what kind of recovery is the one you linked us? Is it a special packed recovery or is it just the last TWRP available ATM?
    2. if it is a special packed one, that mean neither the latest TWRP have the new F2FS system CM 12.1 uses?
    3. what happens when I will need to update the build? How should I update it?

Thanks a lot for paying attention, see ya!

That recovery has the cm kernel but AFAIK (I've not tested myself) "official" twrp now has updated their kernel sources with our so it already has new f2fs patches. This should make the custom twrp sideload steps useless.
    Cm supports f2fs on any 12.x build so you will have no problems if you use a supported recovery and kernel

Sent from my A0001
    FAQ

FAQ
    • I switched to f2fs and I booted recovery/f2fs-kernel device, now it doesn't boot anymore, what can I do?
    • Read the next post about f2fs
    • Yes you can send SMS and MMS
    • Yes you can with usb and wifi tethering
    • Are these gapps <insert random gapps package here> working with cm12.x?
    • There were a build error or it means there's something really wrong with the rom and I've choosen to stop nightlies until the problem gets fixed
    Just realized this error when in overview...
    Says "couldn't add widget"...
    Any idea?

I've been noticing this on last couple of nightlies. I'm currently on the latest nightly 04152015 and using F2FS with stock kernel.

View attachment 3266187
    Afaik this bug can be workarounded by rebooting into safe mode and then rebooting again.

-------------------------------

We're switching to cm-12.1 today! A stable cm-12.0 release should come soon too!

Here are the new gapps that MUST be flashed after cm12.1 when you upgrade to 12.1 from 12.0 http://d-h.st/BX7Q

You don't have to wipe anything to switch to 12.1, just make sure you update your gapps too

Sent from my tilapia