[ROM][NZH54D][2024/03/c05][Asus Nexus 7 2012 WiFi/3G][F2FS/EXT4]Android 7.x AOSP

Search This thread

AndDiSa

Dec 2, 2009
Heidelberg
HTC Desire
Nexus 7
This thread is about installing and using AOSP 7.x (Nougat) ROM for the ASUS Nexus 7 Grouper / Tilapia devices.

Asus - Model names

Grouper = Asus Nexus 7 2012 WiFi
Tilapia = Asus Nexus 7 2012 3G

Initial Setup Installation
  1. Update Recovery to TWRP 3.7.0-9 for Grouper resp. TWRP 3.7.0-9 for Tilapia
  2. Boot into Recovery
  3. Factory Reset (only needed if you are not already on Android 7.x AOSP)
  4. Install 7.1.2 Grouper OTA-Package (Build 20240306) (MD5: 81b65db59a0690d6f5a5f1791133d684)
    or
    Install 7.1.2 Tilapia OTA-Package (Build 20240306) (MD5: b9beb4aa902c0aaf271e51f37b17db17)
  5. Reboot into recovery
  6. Install Open GApps (arm/7.1/pico)
    (if you have issues regarding the size of the GApps please refer to the next post)
[*]To get root access, I suggest to use the unified Magisk (V27.0) which can be flashed by TWRP, too. Eventually you'll need to rename Magisk-v27.0.apk to Magisk-v27.0.zip

I was not able to flash Magisk 24.x by TWRP / direct install, nevertheless the patching boot.img method worked. For that you need to extract the boot.img from the OTA and transfer it to your devies. Then you need to patch the boot.img and transfer it back to your PC. Finally you can flash the patched boot.img using fastboot.
For detailed instructions please consult the Magisk threads here in XDA.

Do not install Magisk on initial setup as it might lead to issues. Start the ROM without having root access the first time and install Magisk in a second step.

If you are already on Android 7.x AOSP, it's sufficient to do the follwowing steps:

Update Installation
  • Boot into Recovery
    • Install 7.1.2 Grouper OTA-Package (Build 20240306) (MD5: 81b65db59a0690d6f5a5f1791133d684)
      or
      Install 7.1.2 Tilapia OTA-Package (Build 20240306) (MD5: b9beb4aa902c0aaf271e51f37b17db17)
    • Reboot into recovery
    • Install Open GApps (arm/7.1/pico)
      (if you have issues regarding the size of the GApps please refer to the next post)
    • Wipe cache/dalvik-cache (optional, but suggested)
    • reboot

Important: For more detailed installation instructions please refer to the next post
Important: First boot after upgrading will take a bit longer (stays on ANDROID) because of art optimizations

flash and use on your own risk!

CREDITS,
AOSP/Google, LineageOS, Ziyann for setting up the Grouper-AOSP repository and his Unlegacy Android project, daniel_hk for some hints how to get the 3.1 kernel running with N, timduru for his work on the Asus Transformer, Timur Mehrvarz for his work on the tegra kernel, Francisco Franco for his kernel work in general

Bugs:
  • please report

Latest Changes
  • 20231212(AOSP 7.1.2)
    • security fixes up to December 2023

Latest version with MicroG-patch applied to them:
aosp_grouper-7.1.2-mg-ota-20240306.eng.ds.zip (MD5: aa5b2fe8b9c0889479f45537fb551dea)
aosp_tilapia-7.1.2-mg-ota-20240306.eng.ds.zip (MD5: bc6723ea47fa9ceec36cf3e33fa3b74c)

Changelog
Please refer to the changes found in the github repos

All ota packages can be found here:
AndDiSa ROM files repository

Sources

https://github.com/AndDiSa

If you would like to build from the sources, you can do so by cloning and build from repositories:
but please take in mind that you need to have some free space (>= 100 GB) and some time ...

XDA:DevDB Information
Android 7.x AOSP, ROM for the Nexus 7

Contributors
AndDiSa
Source Code: https://github.com/AndDiSa?tab=repositories

ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.1.x
Based On: AOSP

Version Information
Stable

Created 2016-09-23
Last Updated 2021-12-09

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170403-205552.png
    Screenshot_20170403-205552.png
    106.9 KB · Views: 93,428
  • snoopsnitch-Nexus7-20190309.png
    snoopsnitch-Nexus7-20190309.png
    60.3 KB · Views: 31,411
  • status-Nexus7-20190309.png
    status-Nexus7-20190309.png
    57.2 KB · Views: 31,129
Last edited:

AndDiSa

Dec 2, 2009
Heidelberg
HTC Desire
Nexus 7
Please note:
  • the system partition is already quite full which leads to the problem that gapps probably will not install correctly and that may lead to weired problems (apps closing / not showing up correctly / ...). I suggest to use the dynamic gapps package linked above. In addition I suggest you to erase the system partition completely before applying the OTA package
  • If you get "Error 7" when trying to flash the ROM directly after upgrading to TWRP 3.5.2-9, wipe the Boot, System and Cache partition and clean dalvik-cache, then re-boot to Recovery and try again (you will not loose any data as long as you do not wipe the Data partition).
  • If you get "Error 70" when installing GApps copy the attached gapps-config files into the same directory where the gapps installation packages is copiedI.e. something like

/sdcard/open_gapps-arm-7.1-pico-20210922.zip
    /sdcard/gapps-config-tilapia.txt
    /sdcard/gapps-config-grouper.txt

and then try to start the installation again. Error 70 should be fixed.

Some additional hints
  • If you are in a bootloop which shows to Google logo again and again, it's sufficient to hold vol- while booting. The next bootloop will boot into bootloader.
  • If you are in a bootloop which shows the ANDROID splash screen continuusly, connect your device to your PC and enter
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    After a few seconds the device should show up the bootloader screen

Attachments

• gapps-config-grouper.txt
    40 bytes · Views: 4,199
  • gapps-config-tilapia.txt
    40 bytes · Views: 1,807
Last edited:

Nexive

Feb 12, 2012
Brussels
Samsung Galaxy S22
Anyone have a list of issues? Does video playback in YouTube work correctly on this rom or is it broken like the other 7.0 roms? Have the UI glitches been fixed? Does NFC work?
Why not figure it out by yourself?
If you flash this ROM you can create a list of what's working and what's not [emoji6]
Anyway, when I'm home, I gonna flash this ROM on my brother's Nexus 7 and give feedback. [emoji4]

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA-Developers mobile app

Last edited:

DSTear

Jul 6, 2016
Wrong link in the post. Downloaded and flashed the last build on my device. After flashing ROM my device was getting cycle reboots and error with cache partition. Fixed that using ADB. ROM seems unstable and buggy. Getting error with Bluetooth share after booting. Navbar and top bar are always black. Old launcher isn't good. Replace it with any good launcher, please. I hope you'll keep work on it. Thank you, good job!

Reactions: AndDiSa

adrman

Jul 17, 2012
NYC
When i get a chance this weekend I'm going to try this with Phh Superuser and Magisk. That combo is/was working great on your MM rom.

fred0r

Nov 23, 2011
Hamburg
I flashed your ROM with TWRP 3.0.2-0 and after 'Patching system image uncondinionally' i get
Code:
Patching system image uncondinionally...
E:unknown command [log]
E:unknown command [log]
script succeeded: result was [1.000000]
Updating partition detail...
...done
I doublechecked the md5 of the file and reflashed but still no luck.

[Edit]
I rebooted and it seems to run....
[Edit2]
Flashing the plain ROM without the gapps seems to work - but after these gapps it doesnt start.

Last edited:

tpuserhp

Jul 1, 2013
I wiped caches, system and data. I installed Android 7 rom, falls and SuperSU. But went into bootloop. I then just installed rom and SuperSU. But keep getting Bluetooth Share keeps stopping messages after boot up. Thanks.
Trued to get into recovery. Now I am keep on getting the following error messages:
E:Unknown fs_type "f2fs" for cache
E: Can't Mount /cache/recovery/last_locale
I cannot boot to Android or bootloader now. I removed battery and plugged it back in. But the same problem. It seems my device is bricked now.
Any suggestions to get out of this loop? Thx

Last edited:

tpuserhp

Jul 1, 2013
I wiped caches, system and data. I installed Android 7 rom, falls and SuperSU. But went into bootloop. I then just installed rom and SuperSU. But keep getting Bluetooth Share keeps stopping messages after boot up. Thanks.
Trued to get into recovery. Now I am keep on getting the following error messages:
E:Unknown fs_type "f2fs" for cache
E: Can't Mount /cache/recovery/last_locale
I cannot boot to Android or bootloader now. I removed battery and plugged it back in. But the same problem. It seems my device is bricked now.
Any suggestions to get out of this loop? Thx
I can connect my grouper to my PC and enter adb reboot bootloader command. But I'm not sure what to do next to fix the cache error in recovery. Any suggestions? Thx

---------- Post added at 04:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 PM ----------

Wrong link in the post. Downloaded and flashed the last build on my device. After flashing ROM my device was getting cycle reboots and error with cache partition. Fixed that using ADB. ROM seems unstable and buggy. Getting error with Bluetooth share after booting. Navbar and top bar are always black. Old launcher isn't good. Replace it with any good launcher, please. I hope you'll keep work on it. Thank you, good job!
Hi @DSTear, I'm running into the same problem on the cache partition as you. I'd appreciate if you could share your method on fixing the cache error in advance. Thx

I was managed to restore the backup and install twrp again.
I think I will retire my grouper on MM now.

Last edited:

AndDiSa

Dec 2, 2009
Heidelberg
HTC Desire
Nexus 7
As I can see, there are two main problems you ran into:
- you are using f2fs for cache and / or data and the version of twrp you are using is not supporting that file type
- you are flashing gapps / SuperSU /... but the space on /system is not sufficient
I'll update the OP to make aware of those possible issues and give some hints how to prevent them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA-Developers mobile app

Reactions: dark0shark

tpuserhp

Jul 1, 2013
As I can see, there are two main problems you ran into:
- you are using f2fs for cache and / or data and the version of twrp you are using is not supporting that file type
- you are flashing gapps / SuperSU /... but the space on /system is not sufficient
I'll update the OP to make aware of those possible issues and give some hints how to prevent them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA-Developers mobile app
I'm not using f2fs. I issued a mount command and did not find any f2fs hits. Not sure why I am getting those msgs. Odd.

DSTear

Jul 6, 2016
I can connect my grouper to my PC and enter adb reboot bootloader command. But I'm not sure what to do next to fix the cache error in recovery. Any suggestions? Thx

---------- Post added at 04:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 PM ----------

Hi @DSTear, I'm running into the same problem on the cache partition as you. I'd appreciate if you could share your method on fixing the cache error in advance. Thx

I was managed to restore the backup and install twrp again.
I think I will retire my grouper on MM now.
Hi. It's quite simple to fix that. Just connect your device to computer, then start bootloop. You will able to fix it using ADB:
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
And after that format your cache partition:
Code:
fastboot format cache
And reinstall TWRP just in case:
Code:
fastboot flash recovery [twrp img for your device]

Reactions: tpuserhp
G

GuestD2048

Bluetooth is not working.

Could Restart be added to the shut down menu please?

Last edited:
G

GuestD2048

I want Restart menu.

Next time

Please Support Restart menu.

millosr

Jun 11, 2015
Belgrade
Some additional hints
  • If you are in a bootloop which shows to Google logo again and again, it's sufficient to hold vol- while booting. The next bootloop will boot into bootloader.
  • If you are in a bootloop which shows the ANDROID splash screen continuusly, connect your device to your PC and enter
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

I'm having the same bootloop issues when trying to go to recovery after my rom is installed. After adb reboot bootloader I have to flash twrp to fix that.
Do you maybe know what can cause this issue?

For the bluetooth I saw you already applied the fix to your source :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    New releases with 2024/03/05 security fixes are out!

Hi guys,
    here an quarterly update of the ROMs.

I just updated the ROM files for Grouper and Tilapia having all the security updates applied to them up to March 2024. Even the kernel got some security fixes which I magpied from the DivestOS project ... ;-)

In the OP you can find the links to the Gapps- and MicroG-versions.

Please note: I didn't upload to AndroidFilehost as the servers had/still have issues. You can download directly from my webspace though ... but probably the download speed will not be as good as you are expecting.

The repositories on Github are updated, too.

@rahimali I integrated an updated prebuild WebView version into the ROM, too. Unfortunately 119.x is the latest version compatible with Android 7.1.x even though 121.0 is alrady out :-(
    @Vrpghm I found another (never) open gapps version from March 2019 which I had already uploaded to my blog. Unfortunately open gapps cannot be distributed from other sites than opengapps.org ...
    Post in thread '[ROM][NZH54D][2024/03/c05][Asus Nexus 7 2012 WiFi/3G][F2FS/EXT4]Android 7.x AOSP' https://xdaforums.com/t/rom-nzh54d-...s-ext4-android-7-x-aosp.3467514/post-89373048

Try BiTGApps for 7.1.2.
    BiTGApps-arm-7.1.2-v2.7-CORE.zip (~59MB)
    I've found (but not tried yet) a gapps package that's about 80MB in size here if anybody would care to give it a shot.
    I prefer going with microg because (IMHO) this device doesn't have the horsepower to handle the google play services anymore...
    if anyone is feeling curious, you can find out more about the gapps package listed above here
    unfortunately GApps are quite too big nowadays .. the smallest I have available are : open_gapps-arm-7.1-pico-20180924.zip (~84MB) and open_gapps-arm-7.1-pico-20180327.zip (~135MB)
    Together with the configuration file found In the second post of this thread it should give you a base GApps installation. I suppose those files are too big to be provided directly here ... I'll try to find a place to provide them.
    Try BiTGApps for 7.1.2.
    BiTGApps-arm-7.1.2-v2.7-CORE.zip (~59MB)
    This thread is about installing and using AOSP 7.x (Nougat) ROM for the ASUS Nexus 7 Grouper / Tilapia devices.

Asus - Model names

Grouper = Asus Nexus 7 2012 WiFi
    Tilapia = Asus Nexus 7 2012 3G

Initial Setup Installation
    1. Update Recovery to TWRP 3.7.0-9 for Grouper resp. TWRP 3.7.0-9 for Tilapia
    2. Boot into Recovery
    3. Factory Reset (only needed if you are not already on Android 7.x AOSP)
    4. Install 7.1.2 Grouper OTA-Package (Build 20240306) (MD5: 81b65db59a0690d6f5a5f1791133d684)
      or
    5. Reboot into recovery
    6. Install Open GApps (arm/7.1/pico)
    [*]To get root access, I suggest to use the unified Magisk (V27.0) which can be flashed by TWRP, too. Eventually you'll need to rename Magisk-v27.0.apk to Magisk-v27.0.zip

I was not able to flash Magisk 24.x by TWRP / direct install, nevertheless the patching boot.img method worked. For that you need to extract the boot.img from the OTA and transfer it to your devies. Then you need to patch the boot.img and transfer it back to your PC. Finally you can flash the patched boot.img using fastboot.
    For detailed instructions please consult the Magisk threads here in XDA.

Do not install Magisk on initial setup as it might lead to issues. Start the ROM without having root access the first time and install Magisk in a second step.

If you are already on Android 7.x AOSP, it's sufficient to do the follwowing steps:

Update Installation
    • Boot into Recovery
      • Install 7.1.2 Grouper OTA-Package (Build 20240306) (MD5: 81b65db59a0690d6f5a5f1791133d684)
        or
      • Reboot into recovery
      • Install Open GApps (arm/7.1/pico)
      • Wipe cache/dalvik-cache (optional, but suggested)
      • reboot

Important: For more detailed installation instructions please refer to the next post
    Important: First boot after upgrading will take a bit longer (stays on ANDROID) because of art optimizations

flash and use on your own risk!

CREDITS,
    AOSP/Google, LineageOS, Ziyann for setting up the Grouper-AOSP repository and his Unlegacy Android project, daniel_hk for some hints how to get the 3.1 kernel running with N, timduru for his work on the Asus Transformer, Timur Mehrvarz for his work on the tegra kernel, Francisco Franco for his kernel work in general

Bugs:
    • please report

Latest Changes
    • 20231212(AOSP 7.1.2)
      • security fixes up to December 2023

Latest version with MicroG-patch applied to them:
    aosp_grouper-7.1.2-mg-ota-20240306.eng.ds.zip (MD5: aa5b2fe8b9c0889479f45537fb551dea)
    aosp_tilapia-7.1.2-mg-ota-20240306.eng.ds.zip (MD5: bc6723ea47fa9ceec36cf3e33fa3b74c)

Changelog
    Please refer to the changes found in the github repos

All ota packages can be found here:
    AndDiSa ROM files repository

Sources

https://github.com/AndDiSa

If you would like to build from the sources, you can do so by cloning and build from repositories:
    but please take in mind that you need to have some free space (>= 100 GB) and some time ...

XDA:DevDB Information
    Android 7.x AOSP, ROM for the Nexus 7

Contributors
    AndDiSa
    Source Code: https://github.com/AndDiSa?tab=repositories

ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.1.x
    Based On: AOSP

Version Information
    Stable

Created 2016-09-23
    Last Updated 2021-12-09
    Please note:
    • the system partition is already quite full which leads to the problem that gapps probably will not install correctly and that may lead to weired problems (apps closing / not showing up correctly / ...). I suggest to use the dynamic gapps package linked above. In addition I suggest you to erase the system partition completely before applying the OTA package
    • If you get "Error 7" when trying to flash the ROM directly after upgrading to TWRP 3.5.2-9, wipe the Boot, System and Cache partition and clean dalvik-cache, then re-boot to Recovery and try again (you will not loose any data as long as you do not wipe the Data partition).
    • If you get "Error 70" when installing GApps copy the attached gapps-config files into the same directory where the gapps installation packages is copiedI.e. something like

/sdcard/open_gapps-arm-7.1-pico-20210922.zip
      /sdcard/gapps-config-tilapia.txt
      /sdcard/gapps-config-grouper.txt

and then try to start the installation again. Error 70 should be fixed.

Some additional hints
      Code:
      adb reboot bootloader
    Hi guys,

first of all I would like to thank all of you for your support you offered to me in the last days and I really feel honoured that so many of your would like to support / help me so that I am able to continue the development for the Nexus 7.
    I've got many offers for a "new" Nexus device from all over the world which I really didn't expect. I was really torn between continuing and stepping out. I've thought very much about pros and cons and it wasn't an easy decision especially if you get so much positive feedback. Thank you again!

Finally I've decided to stop development for the Nexus 7 (at least for the moment). There are several other projects (not all of them related to Android) I've in mind and probably this now was a broad hint to start with something different. I've uploaded the sources of the ROMs latest version (inc. security patches for June 2019) to Github and tested together with @fidoedidoe whether all needed repos and changes are consistent and that one can build the ROM from those repos without the need of doing additional modifications or patches. The build should run smoothly after synchronizing everything. I will also support and help everybody who would like to step in and continue the builds.
    I know there are several people interested in building the ROM from sources. Probably there is someone (or probably even a group) who would like to continue ...
    Cheers,
    AndDiSa
    2019/02/05 - release for Grouper and Tilapia uploaded

I've just uploded the latest version of the ROM for Grouper and Tilapia. As always the Android security issues listed in the latest Android Security Bulletin are patched in this ROM.

Beside that once again I've worked much on the kernel side. Some features are added (multiple binder devices, alarm timer device, ...) and some bugs have been fixed.
    I am still working together with @OlliWi on the slow charging issue which occurs from time to time. Even if I was able to get charging currents up to 1500mA while the device was connected to a charger, we still have the impression that the cable / charger detection needs to be improved. We are on it ...

Those of you who are familiar with the installation process of the ROM can download directly from here, otherwise please first read the instructions in the OP

7.1.2 Grouper OTA-Package (Build 20190209) (md5: 885e601a06a2104628a1e450b73f3a18)
    7.1.2 Tilapia OTA-Package (Build 20190209) (md5: 8e4c0e1955ecc0bb65a51582bb01f779)

And finally as always: flash on your own risk ... ;)
    New year ... new security fixes (2019/01/05)

Hi guys,

I've just uploaded a new version of the ROM for our beloved Nexus 7 (Grouper / Tilapia) having the January 2019 security fixed applied to it.

Beside that I found a bug causing bootloops on initial install / after wiping dalvik. This was caused by zygote not having enough memory available to create the boot.jar on the fly. To fix this issue, I am doing a dex-preopt for the boot image on compile time now which leads to a slightly larger image but improves initial boot time a bit, too.

To get more memory free on the /system partition, I debloated the ROM a bit, e.g. removed the Browser2, LegacyCamera, Music and Calendar apps as some of them even didn't work fully. There are several alternatives available in several stores which you can install if you need them. Probably most of you do not even notice that these apps were removed.

Most changes were applied to the kernel. I tested the changes in the last 4 weeks but as I have a Grouper device only and I cannot test each functionality I cannot exclude that something doesn't work as expected. So please file a bug report (best with logcat and a meaningful bug description) if you find some unexpected behaviour and I will have a look at it.

The most important fix here is probably the improved charging behaviour (many thanks to @OlliWi who provided with fruitful analysis and hints and pushed me to have a deeper look at this issue).
    To get a faster charging of the device, do not boot with a USB cable connected as this prevents the device to charge with more than 500mA (or at least disconnect and re-connect the cable after the device booted).

I've updated the links in the OP, so you can download the latest version from there.

Happy new year to all of you!