FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[ROM][NZH54D][2017/11/06][Grouper|Tilapia][F2FS/EXT4]Android 7.x AOSP

2,553 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,278
 
Post Reply Email Thread
16th March 2017, 03:04 AM |#1001  
Member
Thanks Meter: 9
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by adstraylight

Forgive me if you've already tried this, but the apps' inability to see your media files sounds a lot like when chrome can't download anything even after having been granted storage permission.

The answer​ in chrome's case is to force stop the app via settings once you have granted the relavant permissions and reload it.

That's something I hadn't tried, but now I have, it makes no difference, unfortunately.

I force stopped the built in Music app, Pi Music Player, MX Player and VLC. I can't see the Videos app to force stop that (it doesn't appear in the list of Apps - I only see it when opening a video from a file browser), and I'd already uninstalled Go Music. I used Clear All (via the square button) before starting each one. None of them found any media to list.

Have other people not had this problem?
 
 
16th March 2017, 04:08 AM |#1002  
adstraylight's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 972
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2No

That's something I hadn't tried, but now I have, it makes no difference, unfortunately.

I force stopped the built in Music app, Pi Music Player, MX Player and VLC. I can't see the Videos app to force stop that (it doesn't appear in the list of Apps - I only see it when opening a video from a file browser), and I'd already uninstalled Go Music. I used Clear All (via the square button) before starting each one. None of them found any media to list.

Have other people not had this problem?

I just installed vlc, after installation it asks for permission to access storage.

I granted this, an then it is as you say, the internal memory folder in the app's directory viewer appears empty.

I closed the app, went to Settings - Apps - vlc, and pressed Force Stop.

Upon re opening the app it could then see my files.

Simply closing via the square button doesn't kill the app entirely, as the system keeps it in background memory for the sake of quick access in case you reopen it. A force stop via the App Info screen clears it from RAM. This makes the system review the app's permissions as it loads from the internal SD card, whereas if it just reloads from background memory, the system seems to skip this.

Hope this helps.

PS. This seems to be an issue in AOSP, as I've seen it in other Nougat ROMs as well in particular relation to Storage permissions, you'll find the same thing the first time you try and download anything via the web browser.


TL;DR: Kill the App in the system settings, not the Recents list😀


Edit: one more thing, if there's still problems, try putting your media files in the relavant default folders, Music and Movies...
16th March 2017, 05:23 AM |#1003  
Member
Thanks Meter: 9
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by adstraylight

TL;DR: Kill the App in the system settings, not the Recents list


Edit: one more thing, if there's still problems, try putting your media files in tge relavant default folders, Music and Movies...

That is exactly what I did. I'm not sure why TL;DR applies here - I wrote less than you did in replying

The bit about Clear All not closing apps is interesting, but I only did that between trying each one, so I don't think it matters. I had force stopped all of those apps, from Settings->Apps, before I tried them. I've just done it again, with the same result.

I've been wondering why there's a Videos and a Movies, and I've now put a couple in each one. It doesn't make any difference though. None of the apps I've mentioned see any media to play.
16th March 2017, 05:55 AM |#1004  
adstraylight's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 972
 
More
Well that's truly weird, and I was makng fun of myself as I realised that my reply was indeed very long..😀
16th March 2017, 11:34 AM |#1005  
Ahkah's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 75
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by adstraylight

(...)
Simply closing via the square button doesn't kill the app entirely, as the system keeps it in background memory for the sake of quick access in case you reopen it. A force stop via the App Info screen clears it from RAM. This makes the system review the app's permissions as it loads from the internal SD card, whereas if it just reloads from background memory, the system seems to skip this.(...)

Sorry to contradict you. As an app developer I experienced exactly that behaviour, i.e. my music player app was granted read permission, but it still did not have access. The reason for that misbehaviour was a bug in the (Android 6 based) OS. The workaround was to remove the app in the "recent apps" view, just by touching the "X"., and restart it And as one can see when debugging one's app or when watching its debug output it will in fact be restarted once removed via the "recent" view. For me there has never been the need to force kill it via the Developer Settings.

Of course Android 7 might behave differently, and I haven't tested it yet because all my development devices run Android 6 or 4.4, but I doubt it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ahkah For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ahkah Ad-Free
16th March 2017, 02:23 PM |#1006  
adstraylight's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 972
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahkah

Sorry to contradict you. As an app developer I experienced exactly that behaviour, i.e. my music player app was granted read permission, but it still did not have access. The reason for that misbehaviour was a bug in the (Android 6 based) OS. The workaround was to remove the app in the "recent apps" view, just by touching the "X"., and restart it And as one can see when debugging one's app or when watching its debug output it will in fact be restarted once removed via the "recent" view. For me there has never been the need to force kill it via the Developer Settings.

Of course Android 7 might behave differently, and I haven't tested it yet because all my development devices run Android 6 or 4.4, but I doubt it.

Of course I may be wrong, but in my observation of 7, the recents screen acts in a couple ways.

1. As a record of your recently used apps, obvious but it should be noted that these don't actually have to be loaded, as the list persists through a reboot.

2. As a means of killing the GUI activity of a running app, not unloading it from RAM, or killing its associated services. This is evidenced by the fact that after having killed an app in recents, the Force Stop button is still available on its app info page, not greyed out. I'm also pretty sure that when I experienced the storage permission bug with Chrome, the only way of truly reloading it from scratch was to kill it in this way.

It is my observation therefore that the best way to make sure the RAM is purged of an app entirely is to use the App settings.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong though, as I'm always keen to improve my understanding
16th March 2017, 02:44 PM |#1007  
Member
Thanks Meter: 9
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahkah

The workaround was to remove the app in the "recent apps" view, just by touching the "X"., and restart it And as one can see when debugging one's app or when watching its debug output it will in fact be restarted once removed via the "recent" view. For me there has never been the need to force kill it via the Developer Settings.

That seems plausible. I'll work on the assumption that that still applies, in future, because it's more convenient to do, though for now, I'm doing a Force Close just to be sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adstraylight

Of course I may be wrong, but in my observation of 7, the recents screen acts in a couple ways.

1. As a record of your recently used apps, obvious but it should be noted that these don't actually have to be loaded, as the list persists through a reboot.

I wondered about that. The list survives wiping the cache too. I was begining to think my Nexus was haunted

Quote:
Originally Posted by adstraylight

2. As a means of killing the GUI activity of a running app, not unloading it from RAM, or killing its associated services. This is evidenced by the fact that after having killed an app in recents, the Force Stop button is still available on its app info page, not greyed out.

I've noticed the Force Stop button can still be pressed for things I haven't started since rebooting, so I'm not sure about that. I will err on the side of paranoia, for now though, and press it anyway.

I decided to try wiping the cache and dalvik/ART cache again. None of those apps list any media, after Foce closing and opening them a couple of times, but VLC can now play videos and MP3s from File Manager, which it couldn't before.

Oddly, it doesn't appear to be running, while playing MP3s - by which I mean, there's nothing in the Recent list. It appears to exit as soon as it starts, but the music then plays in the background, with no way to stop it or pause it, as far as I can see - it just plays the whole thing then stops.

I'm only offered the choice of Music or VLC, when trying to open an MP3 - Pi Music is still installed, but I've never had the option of opening a file that way. Maybe they just didn't think to provide the option.

"Music" still won't play music.

Eventually, I probably will reinstall it all, maybe with Pico Gapps instead. I assumed this sort of problem was more widespread, since it wasn't me that brought up the general topic in the first place, but maybe it's not. I'm not really looking for someone to solve it for me, I just thought it might be useful to document it.
16th March 2017, 04:44 PM |#1008  
adstraylight's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 972
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2No

That seems plausible. I'll work on the assumption that that still applies, in future, because it's more convenient to do, though for now, I'm doing a Force Close just to be sure.



I wondered about that. The list survives wiping the cache too. I was begining to think my Nexus was haunted


I've noticed the Force Stop button can still be pressed for things I haven't started since rebooting, so I'm not sure about that. I will err on the side of paranoia, for now though, and press it anyway.

I decided to try wiping the cache and dalvik/ART cache again. None of those apps list any media, after Force closing and opening them a couple of times, but VLC can now play videos and MP3s from File Manager, which it couldn't before.

Oddly, it doesn't appear to be running, while playing MP3s - by which I mean, there's nothing in the Recent list. It appears to exit as soon as it starts, but the music then plays in the background, with no way to stop it or pause it, as far as I can see - it just plays the whole thing then stops.

I'm only offered the choice of Music or VLC, when trying to open an MP3 - Pi Music is still installed, but I've never had the option of opening a file that way. Maybe they just didn't think to provide the option.

"Music" still won't play music.

Eventually, I probably will reinstall it all, maybe with Pico Gapps instead. I assumed this sort of problem was more widespread, since it wasn't me that brought up the general topic in the first place, but maybe it's not. I'm not really looking for someone to solve it for me, I just thought it might be useful to document it.

A thought: AOSP music app never has worked for me, so I have it disabled in the app settings, perhaps this is what is interfering with your other apps? It probably is loaded on startup as it is a system app. You could try disabling it then rebooting...

Edit: just tried playing an mp3 from a file manager using vlc, it plays with pause/play controls in a notification, also tapping the notification launches the vlc main app.

Edit Edit: On the subject of force stop being available for stuff not yet started, it's could be that the system preloads some apps into RAM for possible future use, pure speculation.

I have noticed a subtle shift in philosophy on Google's part of late toward efficiency and slick UX, rather than packing on more and more features, as seen in LP/MM. Hence N seems, if anything, less resource hungry on our ageing N7s..
16th March 2017, 05:29 PM |#1009  
Member
Thanks Meter: 9
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by adstraylight

A thought: AOSP music app never has worked for me, so I have it disabled in the app settings, perhaps this is what is interfering with your other apps? It probably is loaded on startup as it is a system app. You could try disabling it then rebooting...

Edit: just tried playing an mp3 from a file manager using vlc, it plays with pause/play controls in a notification, also tapping the notification launches the vlc main app.

Interesting. I've now tried disabling Music and rebooting, but it doesn't appear to make any difference.

What I have found (with or without Music enabled) is that if I open an MP3 from a file manager (VLC starts, immediately exits, but somehow mysteriously leaves the song playing with no controls), then open VLC manually, from the launcher, I can see the song open in VLC, with controls.

More usefully, although VLC can't list any media, I've found the Directories part of the menu. That actually shows the count of media in each folder, which seems more than a bit odd, since it can't find any to put on the list. I can browse to a file from there and play it, with controls showing, so that's good enough.

I may as well uninstall Pi Music, since it still does nothing - and disable Music again. I'll keep MX Player for now, since it's capable of playing a video from a file browser.
16th March 2017, 05:41 PM |#1010  
adstraylight's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 972
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2No

Interesting. I've now tried disabling Music and rebooting, but it doesn't appear to make any difference.

What I have found (with or without Music enabled) is that if I open an MP3 from a file manager (VLC starts, immediately exits, but somehow mysteriously leaves the song playing with no controls), then open VLC manually, from the launcher, I can see the song open in VLC, with controls.

More usefully, although VLC can't list any media, I've found the Directories part of the menu. That actually shows the count of media in each folder, which seems more than a bit odd, since it can't find any to put on the list. I can browse to a file from there and play it, with controls showing, so that's good enough.

I may as well uninstall Pi Music, since it still does nothing - and disable Music again. I'll keep MX Player for now, since it's capable of playing a video from a file browser.

Well that sounds promising, have you tried getting vlc to refresh it's list via the three dot overflow menu in each of its tabs?

Edit:there's also a directories section in preferences worth checking out.
16th March 2017, 05:55 PM |#1011  
Member
Thanks Meter: 9
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by adstraylight

Well that sounds promising, have you tried getting vlc to refresh it's list via the three dot overflow menu in each of its tabs?

Yes, endlessly. It doesn't do anything.

There are many options in VLC that just made it exit when I chose them the first time too, but not the second - including but not necessarily limited to (three dots) Equalizer, Local Network and History. They let me use them the second time.... The Equalizer doesn't appear to do anything, but I can now move the sliders if I want to.

I guess something is slightly screwed up with my installation. I can't say I care enough to start over, at this point.

I'm still wondering if this is the same problem k ahangar was talking about:

Quote:
Originally Posted by k ahangar

Hi @AndDiSa

How I can use MX player or vlc player or other perfect players in this device and this ROM?

I try to play but don't played any videos.
Please help me. Tnx

Sent from my Nexus 7 3G using Tapatalk

He didn't actually say he couldn't list them, so I'm not sure. I guess he's given up and left the thread, or hasn't figured out how to get notifications.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes