Remove All Ads from XDA

[ROM][NZH54D][2017/11/06][Grouper|Tilapia][F2FS/EXT4]Android 7.x AOSP

2,553 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,278

Post Reply Email Thread
9th January 2017, 02:04 PM |#501  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I didn't restore anything and wiped caches etc, but i have those crashs nevertheless. Any idea how to improve the situation here? I'm totally clueless regarding those ROMs, but it seems like mem-free is too aggressive or something like that.

---------- Post added at 02:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portgas D. Ace

Only if it is the same ROM. Switching ROMs without wiping data partition causes instability, such as FC's.

Oh, is wiping data partition not included in TWRPs default factory reset? Then this would explain all problems i see

9th January 2017, 02:19 PM |#502  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Mare Tranquillitatis
Thanks Meter: 2,656

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sephren

Oh, is wiping data partition not included in TWRPs default factory reset? Then this would explain all problems i see

A factory reset with TWRP should wipe the data partition as intended (see here).
9th January 2017, 03:12 PM |#503  
Flag Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmickamal

Hi AndDiSa,
I am facing two issues, may be you could enlighten me on solving them.
1) wifi, connects and disconnects randomly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArionWT

On last update, have random wi-fi disconnect

Me as well, on latest Jan 5, 2017 build. I've seemed to have it on all the old Andriod 6/7 roms I tried as well for my Nexus 7 (grouper) - perhaps a kernel issue? It's very slight. And you can't tell it's happening all the time. But for example while playing "Clash of Clans" in a battle the wifi will disconnect and connect quickly, and then it will kick you from the Battle and say you lost connection. You will be connected right back (but kicked out of the battle). This happens almost every 2 or 3 battles.

Most apps just see the disconnect and reconnect and do not do anything, so you do not even realise wifi is connecting and disconnecting. It's only some "sensitive" apps you notice it where it'll kick you out of something cuz of the temporary internet disconnect. Like I said I only notice it on Clash of Clans, and then only notice it when I am in a battle on Clash of Clans (as the app is fine with intermittent internet/wifi in the "lobby" or other parts of the game). And of course Chrome and everything you do not even notice internet cutting for half a sec.

I believe people who think they do not have "wifi disconnect issues" are just people who do not realise it's happening as the apps they use are fine with intermittent internet (like web browsing or such).

I've had this for a while with my Andriod 6/7 roms, then I moved to SlimKat (4.4.4) for a couple months and there were no wifi problems. Then with all the positive reviews about 7.1.1 I thought I would try this to see if it was fixed... it's not though. Any ideas what I can do to fix it? or help I can give to solve it? It never happened with Andriod 5, I believe started happening later in Andriod 6, and all of the Andriod 7 roms I've tried.
9th January 2017, 04:07 PM |#504  
OP Senior Member
Flag Heidelberg

More
I do see from time to time those re-connection issues, too, but I've currently no idea what might be the reason. Probably it's related to old binary drivers or firmware. On startup you can find some error messages regarding WiFi within the logs but nothing really to concern about. If I find some time, I'll try to have a deeper look at it.
9th January 2017, 05:43 PM |#505  
Flag Surrey, Untidy Kingdom
Thanks Meter: 141

More
My issue and how I resolved it!
OK I thought I would share my experience to help anyone that may be running into a similar problem to mine, and how I fixed it.

I have a Wifi N7 (grouper) that updated itself to 5.1.1 (stock) a while back, and started running like a dog, so I thought time for a ROM.
I chose the 7.1.1 ROM from this thread as I was recommended it.

So, here's what I did first time round (which gave me problems):
- Using NRT, unlocked bootloader, and installed root/TWRP 3.0.2
- Placed 7.1.1 OTA, and dynamic gapps, onto internal storage
- Rebooted into TWRP, advanced wipe, wiped everything except internal storage.
- Installed the 7.1.1 OTA, then wiped Dalvik.
- I then rebooted and let it boot fully into android. THIS is where the problems started.
It booted straight to a home screen with a clock and a few icons. It didn't go through new device setup. I then rebooted into TWRP, and installed dynamic gapps. When I rebooted back into android, I started repeatedly getting a "Google Play Services keeps stopping" message, and nothing I did seemed to help, I tried all sorts of suggestions, such as clearing play services data, allowing all its permissions etc, nothing worked. So I had to start again and reflash the ROM.

Here's the procedure I did which worked fine:
- Rebooted into TWRP, advanced wipe, wiped everything except internal storage.
- Installed the 7.1.1 OTA, then wiped Dalvik.
- Rebooted, but immediately held pwr/vol- to get straight back into TWRP. **DON'T let it boot normally into android.!**
- Installed the dynamic gapps
- Rebooted again, this time letting it boot normally (1st boot will take a while)
- On boot, it enters setup and you can just take it from there (I always setup as new device, to avoid any possible issues)

Only thing I'm facing now is it seems to be charging rather slowly, my USB tester stick is showing the charge rate settles out at 0.6A which is quite low, it used to charge at more like 1.5A before. However this is a known issue with this ROM, so I'm sure a fix will come along. However I can confirm that disconnecting/reconnecting the charger as stated does seem to increase it a bit.
Anyway aside from that it seems to be running really well, nice and smooth, a darn sight better than the official 5.1.1 update which messed it right up! I expect Google won't be doing any more for this model either.
Thanks very much for all the hard work AndDiSa.!

Hope this helps
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spark001uk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift spark001uk Ad-Free
9th January 2017, 07:55 PM |#506  
Recognized Contributor
Flag IDK
Thanks Meter: 14,263

Donate to Me
More
@spark001uk
Yes it's actually in the OP - And posted a number of times throughout the Thread

Sent From My SM-N930W8 🇨🇦
9th January 2017, 11:15 PM |#507  
Flag Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndDiSa

I do see from time to time those re-connection issues, too, but I've currently no idea what might be the reason. Probably it's related to old binary drivers or firmware. On startup you can find some error messages regarding WiFi within the logs but nothing really to concern about. If I find some time, I'll try to have a deeper look at it.

Ah thanks. Yea like I said, it's not a huge issue as most people don't even notice it. But I must admit for a small number of Apps, it's a very annoying thing. hehe
10th January 2017, 05:56 PM |#508  
Thanks Meter: 44

More
Hi! Just installed this smooth ROM on my 2012 Nexus 7. It's like a new tablet, and I haven't used it for over two years. Thanks! Have some questions though. If we later have a new version of this ROM, is it secure to just dirty flash it over the current ROM or must I wipe system partition as mentioned in the OP? In the OP it is also talked about a updater script which must be updated, is this a delta updater or something? If I must wipe the system partition I must reflash Gapps and Supersu (systemless), right? I understand though that the apps and data is left, because it is no need to wipe Data upgrading to a newer version of this ROM. Grateful for some clarification on that. Thanks alot for the ROM!
10th January 2017, 06:12 PM |#509  
OP Senior Member
Flag Heidelberg

More
Even if a dirty flash would be sufficient I would suggest to wipe /system in TRWP before flashing the ROM. It as no impact on the following steps as the updater script which is installing the ROM does not backup gapps, so you need to reflash gapps in either way. The same is valid for SuperSU, as it should be systemless and flashin a new boot partition is removing the SuperSU installation you need to reflash SuperSU, too. Nevertheless dirty flashing is fine, though I am suggesting to do the following steps for updating:
- boot into TWRP
- wipe system, cache, dalvik-cache
- install android-aosp-xxx.zip
- reboot into recovery
- flash gapps (and SuperSU)
- reboot system

If I am not flashing directly the img-files by using fastboot, I am doing it in to way described above and I never had issues.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AndDiSa For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AndDiSa Ad-Free
10th January 2017, 06:23 PM |#510  
Thanks Meter: 44

More
Thank you for the quick answer! Then I understand. And either way I must reflash Gapps and Supersu. Also thanks for the quick steps to flash!
Pehlm
10th January 2017, 08:00 PM |#511  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Nexus 7 feels like new
Thanks for this ROM! After my wife's stock Nexus 7 started slowing to a crawl with the 5.x OTA release, she stopped using it, and I put it up on a shelf in my closet. I recently ran across this thread and decided to try this ROM. Talk about shocked. I can't believe how smooth the Nexus 7 runs. It's my goto table now, and even runs Nougat better than my 5-year-old HP Touchpad!

Thanks to the Devs who make this possible -- you all ROCK!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)