[ROM][6.0.1_r79] nAOSProm for Google Nexus 7 (2012)

Search This thread

PinoDG

Oct 5, 2008
Parma
Xiaomi Mi A1
Xiaomi Mi A3
My primary rom 1) in tilapia: vanir 5.1.1 111715 with DCkernel+ SElinux permissive + supersú 2.65 systemmode, no parrotmod and other...
2) in grouper: BSZAospLP 1.98 full + SElinux permissive + supersú 2.65 systemmode, no other
always openGapps nano use on all.
Other aosp rom M6.0.1 (DU,omnirom) working ok
tonight I try other solutions Naosp b04

Last edited:

millosr

Jun 11, 2015
Belgrade
My primary rom 1) in tilapia: vanir 5.1.1 111715 with DCkernel+ SElinux permissive + supersú 2.65 systemmode, no parrotmod and other...
2) in grouper: BSZAospLP 1.98 full + SElinux permissive + supersú 2.65 systemmode, no other
always openGapps nano use on all.
Other aosp rom M6.0.1 (DU,omnirom) working ok
tonight I try other solutions Naosp b04

Can you send me logcat output?

millosr

Jun 11, 2015
Belgrade
What do you need exactly the logcat? I tried to do a full backup with syslog ... you need this complete?
I tried all possible variants ... but after installing all fine and sound ok, the first restart of the sound system disappears (even leaving everything default)

my all nexus

I want to see if something went wrong during android startup.
When you boot the nAOSP and sound is not working connect tablet to the pc, do the
adb logcat -d > logcat.out
from the pc and send me the output file.
You can also do the
su
logcat -d > /sdcard/logcat.out
from the terminal emulator on the tablet.

PinoDG

Oct 5, 2008
Parma
Xiaomi Mi A1
Xiaomi Mi A3
I want to see if something went wrong during android startup.
When you boot the nAOSP and sound is not working connect tablet to the pc, do the
adb logcat -d > logcat.out
from the pc and send me the output file.
You can also do the
su
logcat -d > /sdcard/logcat.out
from the terminal emulator on the tablet.
I extracted this, after the first restart. if it helps, I also made the logcat of the first installation http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/577146441fcec/logcat2.out.zip
http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5771465937988/1logcat.out.zip

my all nexus

noleng

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Great ROM - My only problem is that my device is not showing any sort of location info. Regardless of the setting I select within the location/settings page. Before switching to this ROM my device allowed GPS and wifi for locations.. I have fully made certain that my permissions, as well as all Goggle tracking is enabled for this function to work.. None of my apps that attempt to use location such as WAZE, UBER, Google MAPS, give no response/feedback for location.

Anyone else have any sort of issues like this. I am using a Wifi only model.

millosr

Jun 11, 2015
Belgrade
Great ROM - My only problem is that my device is not showing any sort of location info. Regardless of the setting I select within the location/settings page. Before switching to this ROM my device allowed GPS and wifi for locations.. I have fully made certain that my permissions, as well as all Goggle tracking is enabled for this function to work.. None of my apps that attempt to use location such as WAZE, UBER, Google MAPS, give no response/feedback for location.

Anyone else have any sort of issues like this. I am using a Wifi only model.

I'm having 3G version - tilapia, and never had issues with gps. Both model have the same gps receiver and use the same broadcom proprietary library for it, so there should be no difference.

You can test GPS satelite visibility with GPS Test application.

You can send me logcat log if you want.

Reactions: noleng

noleng

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
I'm having 3G version - tilapia, and never had issues with gps. Both model have the same gps receiver and use the same broadcom proprietary library for it, so there should be no difference.

You can test GPS satelite visibility with GPS Test application.

You can send me logcat log if you want.

Thanks for the response. I actually did the GPS Test with that app and a couple other apps. My GPS does work.

With any other device including this one, I always noticed that while I am inside, or in an area where the GPS doesnt work due to being inside, usually apps like Google Maps, Uber, Waze, etc would fallback on getting an approximate location via the wifi. This function usually includes a setting/option within the Location settings or within the wifi settings. It would give me the option to allow google to use wifi to determine location, even if I am not connected to a wifi.

It seems that not only is this option nowhere to be found in this rom settings, but even with the Location settings with the selection that includes wifi, well, it doesnt seem to work. I did notice better app functionality after the initial GPS location was found. So the apps now use the last GPS point, but i dont think my device is giving out any location info from wifi networks.

Edited: just found a screenshot of the network location services setting I am speaking of (This rom does not seem to have this setting I am speaking of. Here is an image that may help bout what I am speaking of. Anyway.. Maybe we do not need the option to be shown, as I assume it should be enabled by default, but could this maybe be an option that could be added or is it old function that isnt used anymore by android. This I do not know.

img_54f7b31055413.png

Last edited:

millosr

Jun 11, 2015
Belgrade
Thanks for the response. I actually did the GPS Test with that app and a couple other apps. My GPS does work.

With any other device including this one, I always noticed that while I am inside, or in an area where the GPS doesnt work due to being inside, usually apps like Google Maps, Uber, Waze, etc would fallback on getting an approximate location via the wifi. This function usually includes a setting/option within the Location settings or within the wifi settings. It would give me the option to allow google to use wifi to determine location, even if I am not connected to a wifi.

It seems that not only is this option nowhere to be found in this rom settings, but even with the Location settings with the selection that includes wifi, well, it doesnt seem to work. I did notice better app functionality after the initial GPS location was found. So the apps now use the last GPS point, but i dont think my device is giving out any location info from wifi networks.

Edited: just found a screenshot of the network location services setting I am speaking of (This rom does not seem to have this setting I am speaking of. Here is an image that may help bout what I am speaking of. Anyway.. Maybe we do not need the option to be shown, as I assume it should be enabled by default, but could this maybe be an option that could be added or is it old function that isnt used anymore by android. This I do not know.

img_54f7b31055413.png

I think that is option from Android 5.1. It is removed in 6.0.
Settings > Location > Mode - High accuracy or Battery saving should use wifi networks to determine location.

Reactions: noleng

millosr

Jun 11, 2015
Belgrade
nAOSProm b06 released

New build has been released.

Changes:
  • AOSP android-6.0.1_r52 - July security patch
  • Themes: Full support of Layers 4.0
  • SystemUI: Added battery percentage text to status bar
    You can configure it from Settings/nAOSProm/More.../Battery Percentage

Download:

Since Open Gapps size has grown, recommended open gapps package now is nano due to small system partition in N7 devices.

Reactions: MrWGT and NikNikols

frov

Dec 31, 2014
Tilburg
Google Nexus 10
Google Pixel C
Wauw, I now see this ROM for the N7 for the first time!

I am a big fan and user of the Mickybart nAOSP ROMs for the Xperia S and today I checked what is all available for the Nexus 7 2012, and I see the same ROM :cool:
And done by a familiar name: :good: millosr !

I know and also suffer of the slowdown issues of the aging Nexus 7 for its NAND (glad that Xperia S has better components and does not suffer the same).
So a few hours ago I flashed parrotmod into my Nexus 7 that was stock 5.1.1 but of course Rooted/TWRP3/TitaniumBackup. And Parrotmod helps!
https://github.com/parrotgeek1/ParrotMod_Grouper
The Nexus 7 is a lot smoother with Parrotmod. Before Parrotmod it would freeze severely sometimes.

So I wonder what happens when I wipe all and flash in this nAOSP: do I miss on all the smooth&speed tweaks that the Parrotmod guys collected over the months, specifically for the Nexus 7 ?
Maybe interesting to check what Parrotmod exactly does, at the XDA thread here:
http://xdaforums.com/nexus-7-2013/orig-development/beta-1-parrotmod-improve-2013-nexus-7-t3375928
Maybe I just need to flash nAOSP and then Parrotmod over it. Would like to know whether it is useful, or not.

Anyway, I will revive my old Nexus 7 with Marshmallow and I will start with this ROM ! ;)

millosr

Jun 11, 2015
Belgrade
Wauw, I now see this ROM for the N7 for the first time!

I am a big fan and user of the Mickybart nAOSP ROMs for the Xperia S and today I checked what is all available for the Nexus 7 2012, and I see the same ROM :cool:
And done by a familiar name: :good: millosr !

I know and also suffer of the slowdown issues of the aging Nexus 7 for its NAND (glad that Xperia S has better components and does not suffer the same).
So a few hours ago I flashed parrotmod into my Nexus 7 that was stock 5.1.1 but of course Rooted/TWRP3/TitaniumBackup. And Parrotmod helps!
https://github.com/parrotgeek1/ParrotMod_Grouper
The Nexus 7 is a lot smoother with Parrotmod. Before Parrotmod it would freeze severely sometimes.

So I wonder what happens when I wipe all and flash in this nAOSP: do I miss on all the smooth&speed tweaks that the Parrotmod guys collected over the months, specifically for the Nexus 7 ?
Maybe interesting to check what Parrotmod exactly does, at the XDA thread here:
http://xdaforums.com/nexus-7-2013/orig-development/beta-1-parrotmod-improve-2013-nexus-7-t3375928
Maybe I just need to flash nAOSP and then Parrotmod over it. Would like to know whether it is useful, or not.

Anyway, I will revive my old Nexus 7 with Marshmallow and I will start with this ROM ! ;)

I'm also a big fan of Mickybarts rom :). I'm still using my Xperia S as my only phone, thanks to him. When I installed that rom I was surprised how stable it is, and after it I started to play with aosp building/development. I tried then to port it to N7, with success, so I'm sharing my builds now.

There are kernel related stuff, that I didn't implemented here, like color profiles (day/night) and Wake Up gestures, but other things are all build here so you should have similar experience like on Xperia S with nAOSP.

I haven't try ParrotMod here, I read that it's optimizations are mostly related with ext4 optimizations, and I'm using f2fs so I'm sure there will be any benefit of it. If you want you can try it and give us your impressions here. For me this rom works pretty smooth without ParrotMod, so I didn't wanted to experiment. Also I prefer build in Superuser over SuperSU, and as I read that ParrotMod requires SuperSU.

I'm not using Xposed on this rom on N7, because it seems that it slows down the tablet. Layers should work fine - I have merged latest layers 4.0 changes to the rom.

I'm hoping you will like the rom :)

frov

Dec 31, 2014
Tilburg
Google Nexus 10
Google Pixel C
Flashed B06, SuperSu 2.76, Gapps

Thanks for the reply in the previous post. Now it is clear to me what the relation is between this nAOSP rom and Parrotmod. More about that later.

I flashed this nAOSP yesterday evening late (Dutch time) and installing was quite easy (when you have seen it all before).
The N7 was running: stock 5.1.1 / TWRP 302 / SuperSu 2.65. So that gave me ahead start for flashing in this nAOSP ROM.
I redid the filesystem types to F2FS in TWRP (no problem at all).
I flashed in B06 and for the rest this: (post from Xperia S): http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=67682131&postcount=4831

Result of this was a very nice running Nexus7 with SuperSu 2.76 and Gapps. :good: :eek:
Already a huge improvement over stock 5.1.1 that hangs at times; now with nAOSP it feels a lot faster already.
Apps were installing bleeding fast, I was delighted. A lot faster than the Nexus 5X that my wife has.
(I am the poor husband that wants to use a 4+ years old Xperia S, haha).

Next, I am tempted to install this Parrotmod over this ROM.
However, I first want to 'feel' this nAOSP.
After some time (when I do not know yet) I will flash over it the latest Parrotmod and assess what has improved, for smoothness / speed.
And will report here of course.

For now, I am happy :laugh:

myxomop25

Aug 24, 2011
Lesozavodsk
Hi everyone! The ROM is great, works fast and smoothly. Battery life is surprisingly incredible.

But there's one problem, which spoiled everything. Geolocation doesn't work at all. Neither by Wi-Fi, neither by GPS. First it showed if I was in another town, later is stopped show any location. I thought that there was a problem with Google Services, but with OMNI all worked great. The new version of Gapps also didn't help.

Also the thing is, I'm not a developer, so don't know how relevant it is. When I wiped data from TWRP 3, there was one problem occured:
Code:
Error opening: '/data/data/com.google.android.gms/shared_prefs/com.google.gms.playlog.uploader.xml' (No such file or directory)
. When tried to repair the data partition, another problem happened:
Code:
Repair data (f2fs) the process /sbin/fsck.f2fs/dev/block/mmcblk0p10 finished with an error. Unable to repair data.

Because of not working geolocation I had to switch to OMNI, even though I like this ROM more. Does anyone know, how to fix the problem with geolocation? Has anyone encountered this?

mickybart

Sep 22, 2014
Montreal
@millosr

I think that the issue with geolocation is that no device override (overlay) "config_locationProviderPackageNames".

Under :
https://github.com/millosr/device_a...rameworks/base/core/res/res/values/config.xml
https://github.com/millosr/device_a...rameworks/base/core/res/res/values/config.xml

You should need to add :

<string-array name="config_locationProviderPackageNames" translatable="false">
<!-- The Google provider -->
<item>com.google.android.gms</item>
<!-- The standard AOSP fused location provider -->
<item>com.android.location.fused</item>
</string-array>

I have encountered this issue on Xperia S and that fixed the geolocation for every one.

millosr

Jun 11, 2015
Belgrade
Hi everyone! The ROM is great, works fast and smoothly. Battery life is surprisingly incredible.

But there's one problem, which spoiled everything. Geolocation doesn't work at all. Neither by Wi-Fi, neither by GPS. First it showed if I was in another town, later is stopped show any location. I thought that there was a problem with Google Services, but with OMNI all worked great. The new version of Gapps also didn't help.

Also the thing is, I'm not a developer, so don't know how relevant it is. When I wiped data from TWRP 3, there was one problem occured:
Code:
Error opening: '/data/data/com.google.android.gms/shared_prefs/com.google.gms.playlog.uploader.xml' (No such file or directory)
. When tried to repair the data partition, another problem happened:
Code:
Repair data (f2fs) the process /sbin/fsck.f2fs/dev/block/mmcblk0p10 finished with an error. Unable to repair data.

Because of not working geolocation I had to switch to OMNI, even though I like this ROM more. Does anyone know, how to fix the problem with geolocation? Has anyone encountered this?

Hi myxomop25,

What device do you have Groper or Tilapia? I will try to rebuild the rom with the change mickybart suggested.

For f2fs conversion do you have any other log message before the one you sent? Are you using twrp 3.0.2?

millosr

Jun 11, 2015
Belgrade
@millosr

I think that the issue with geolocation is that no device override (overlay) "config_locationProviderPackageNames".

Under :

You should need to add :

<string-array name="config_locationProviderPackageNames" translatable="false">
<!-- The Google provider -->
<item>com.google.android.gms</item>
<!-- The standard AOSP fused location provider -->
<item>com.android.location.fused</item>
</string-array>

I have encountered this issue on Xperia S and that fixed the geolocation for every one.

Thanks a lot. I will try to rebuild the rom with the change.

Btw, I'm not experiencing geolocation problems.

mickybart

Sep 22, 2014
Montreal
Thanks a lot. I will try to rebuild the rom with the change.

Btw, I'm not experiencing geolocation problems.

That was the same for me on my device when some other users reported issues. This was a strange situation ! (in fact the same than the one reported here).

For information this configuration is also present on some other ROMs :

https://github.com/CyanogenMod/andr...rameworks/base/core/res/res/values/config.xml
https://github.com/omnirom/android_...rameworks/base/core/res/res/values/config.xml

myxomop25

Aug 24, 2011
Lesozavodsk
Hi myxomop25,

What device do you have Groper or Tilapia? I will try to rebuild the rom with the change mickybart suggested.

For f2fs conversion do you have any other log message before the one you sent? Are you using twrp 3.0.2?

Hi, millosr,

Thanks for your answer. I forgot that the thread is about both Tilapia and Grouper when was writing the message. I have Tilapia.
What is about f2fs, unfortunately, I have no other logs, because except the logs I've mentioned other were all right. I use TWRP 3.0.2.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    nAOSProm-6.0 for Google Nexus 7 2012

The purpose of this rom is to provide a rom not so far of the AOSP with some cool features (nAOSP means "near AOSP").
    It is fork of nAOSProm for Xperia S.

nAOSProm is stable, works very smoothly, works well with layers, xposed...
    It has integrated Superuser app so superSU is not necessary, but it works well also if you flash it.
    There are no FCs with Setup Wizard and Google Play services, when clean flashed together with gapps.

Change log
    nAOSProm-6.0 b11
    • AOSP android-6.0.1_r79 - February security patch
    Previous releases

nAOSProm-6.0 b10
    • AOSP android-6.0.1_r74 - November security patch
    • f2fs: added f2fs check to fstab
    nAOSProm-6.0 b09
    • AOSP android-6.0.1_r70 - October security patch
    • Fixed sound on system start
    nAOSProm-6.0 b08
    • AOSP android-6.0.1_r66 - September security patch
    nAOSProm-6.0 b07
    • AOSP android-6.0.1_r61 - August security patch
    • Superuser replaced with new Superuser with AppOps
    • su: Support for multiuser and the new Superuser
    • Ui: Battery styles (see Settings/nAOSProm/More)
    • Ui: Optimizing application displays the application name
    • Ui: Correct handling of NavBar menu button in old apps
    • Settings: Display safe entries into nAOSP section (depends on current user, root access ...)
    • Boot: check f2fs not run anymore - faster boot in the case of f2fs data and cache
    • Geolocation: fixed location provider
    • PerformanceControl: changed to drawer view ui
    nAOSProm-6.0 b06
    • AOSP android-6.0.1_r52 - July security patch
    • Themes: Full support of Layers 4.0
    • SystemUI: Added battery percentage text to status bar
      You can configure it from Settings/nAOSProm/More.../Battery Percentage
    nAOSProm-6.0 b05
    • AOSP android-6.0.1_r46 - June security patch
    • Added Immersive Mode Quick Settings tile (hide NavBar and/or Status bar)
      You can add/remove tile from Settings/System UI Tuner/Quick Settings
    nAOSProm-6.0 b04
    • AOSP android-6.0.1_r43 - May security patches
    • Added nAOSP "More" settings:
      Memory settings
      Signature spoofing
      Others: Quick Settings Expand and Status Bar DT2S switches
    • Animations speed up
    nAOSProm-6.0 b03
    • AOSP android-6.0.1_r24
    • Switched to daniel_hk kernel
    • Performance improvements
    • Added PerformanceControl app
    • Added Caffeine Quick Settings tile
    nAOSProm-6.0 b02
    • AOSP android-6.0.1_r22
    • Added ViPER4Android
    • Added adb over wifi quick tile
    nAOSProm-6.0 b01
    • AOSP android-6.0.1_r16
    • OTA: support with ROM Updater (see Settings/About phone/Updates)
    • OTA: Layers: OTA will preserve theme files when flashing a new ROM version (updating)
    • F2FS support
    • Superuser integration
    • Browser, Music and Gallery2: AOSP version replaced by CyanogenMod version
    • Power Key: Include Reboot menu (Normal, Soft, Recovery and Bootloader)
    • Quick Setting: Can be pull down directly with one finger on the 1/3 right of the Status bar
    • Recent Applications : Close all applications button on the right bottom
    • Double Tap to Sleep on the status bar
    • Settings: nAOSProm section that permit you to configure the ROM, to start Layers Manager, Superuser and SuperSU if available.
    • No FCs for Setup Wizard and Google Play Services on initial boot
    Requirements
    Rooted Nexus 7, TWRP 2.8.7.0 - 3.0+

Flashing
    nAOSProm can be dirty flashed over other AOSP-6.0 based roms (not from CM based). I recommend clean flash if you come from other roms.

Flashing Procedure

Clean flash
    1. Backup everything
    2. Reboot into recovery
    3. Convert data / cache to F2FS
      • Backup /sdcard - adb pull /sdcard/ sdcard/
      • Change data to F2FS - in twrp go to Wipe, advanced wipe, select Data,
        Repair or Change File System, Change File System, F2FS
      • Change cache to F2FS - same as for data
      • restore sdcard data - adb push sdcard /sdcard/
    4. Wipe everything except sdcard
    5. Unmount /system
    6. Flash nAOSProm
    7. Flash gapps - I recommend open gapps
    8. Reboot
    Dirty flash
    1. Reboot into recovery
    2. Flash nAOSProm
    3. Flash gapps - I recommend open gapps - nano
    4. Wipe cash & dalvik
    5. Reboot
    Upgrading from previous nAOSP versions

This ROM has OTA update feature - it periodically (once a week by default) checks for new versions and offers to download and install them. You can check for new version manually in Settings/About phone/Updates.
    Before doing update you should set post update settings - other zip files (gapps, xposed) that should be flashed after rom update. Once you set post update you can use it for future updates, or you can set updated zips before every update. You can also add custom open recovery script commands. If you want to automatically reboot after upgrade you can enter reboot command into Post Update / Aditional script.
    When flashing nAOSProm layers are preserved, so you don't need to worry about that upgrading.

You can also manually upgrade nAOSProm in twrp by dirty flashing.

Download
    b11 - 2017/03/12
    Previous releases

b10 - 2016/11/14
    b09 - 2016/10/06
    b08 - 2016/09/08
    Thanks

Source
    nAOSProm b08 released

Changes:
    • AOSP android-6.0.1_r66 - September security patch

Download:

I'm currently working on nAOSProm-7.0 so I didn't add anything but monthly security patches to this release. I hope I will be able to release it at the beginning of October.

When upgrading from one build to the next one you can always do dirty flash. If you have some garbage in your installation like unsuccessful app installs/updates it's recommended to do clean flash. For upgrading from 6.0 to 7.0 clean flash will be probably required. For clean flashes you can always backup/restore your apps with Titanium Backup.
    nAOSProm b09 released

Changes:
    • AOSP android-6.0.1_r70 - October security patch
    • Fixed sound on system start

There will be no more new functionalities on nAOSProm-6.0. I'm focusing development to nAOSProm-7.0.
    I will continue to apply monthly security patches.

Download:
    nAOSP-7.0

I have built nAOSP-7.0 Nougat for the Nexus 7 :)

I have created new thread for it :
    http://xdaforums.com/nexus-7/development/rom-naosprom-nexus-7-2012-t3467335
    nAOSProm b04 released

Changes:
    • AOSP android-6.0.1_r43 - May security patches
    • Added nAOSP "More" settings:
      Memory settings
      Signature spoofing
      Others: Quick Settings Expand and Status Bar DT2S on/off toggles
    • Animations speed up

Download: