[UNOFFICIAL][ROM][GROUPER][6.0.1_r62][EXT4/F2FS]★ The Pure Nexus Project ★[22/08/16]

Search This thread

exeleon

Jan 6, 2013
New York
I had all but given up on trying to revive my Nexus 7 grouper. It was sitting in a stack of ignored devices along with a Nook Color and an original Kindle Fire. I had tried everything I could find and it was still slow and laggy. After a few months of it sitting, I decided to give it one more shot and found this thread. Between PureNexus, DC kernel and ParrotMod, it's like my device is brand new! I'm not sure what the underlying solution was, but somehow this combination completely bypasses the IO latency problem every other ROM/kernel combo succumbs to. My only regret is that I found this project only after development had been discontinued. I sincerely hope someone takes this work and applies it to Nougat.

I'm in the same situation you were in with your Nexus 7, its been sitting in a shoe box under my bed for the last year. Today I decided to break it out, charge it and give it one last shot. Just out of curiousity, which version of this ROM are you running? I see the later builds have 'HOMEMADE' in the file name, any idea of what that's about? Thanks in advance!

Letitride

I'm in the same situation you were in with your Nexus 7, its been sitting in a shoe box under my bed for the last year. Today I decided to break it out, charge it and give it one last shot. Just out of curiousity, which version of this ROM are you running? I see the later builds have 'HOMEMADE' in the file name, any idea of what that's about? Thanks in advance!
Ditto, mine has been neglected - it's 4+ years old and OEM battery wasn't holding a charge. Decided to get it replaced, easy DIY & took less than 10 minutes, highly recommended (there's YT video showing how to & simple pry tool needed)
Been running on the last "homemade" PureNexus "MTC20F" build 8/22/2016 b/c developer discontinued supporting the device .... otherwise, it's all good. I also run PN on my primary N5X and DW's Nexus 6 on Project Fi, very stable & few issues, much more responsive and no issues with WiFi signal dropping, etc. Just do a clean install and backup your data on the device first follow instructions and it's all good.

I am about to play and flash Beanstalk's 6.x rom & Gapp here, just to compare - backed up PN already so I can quicky restore if necessary. Have fun with it. I have Nougat 7.x running on Nexus 5X and Motorola Moto E 2015 (XT1521) so not in a hurry to play more with it, just need a stable ROM for the N7 and Apps to stay current & updated, latest Google security patches would be ideal as a bonus.

exeleon

Jan 6, 2013
New York
Ditto, mine has been neglected - it's 4+ years old and OEM battery wasn't holding a charge. Decided to get it replaced, easy DIY & took less than 10 minutes, highly recommended (there's YT video showing how to & simple pry tool needed)
Been running on the last "homemade" PureNexus "MTC20F" build 8/22/2016 b/c developer discontinued supporting the device .... otherwise, it's all good. I also run PN on my primary N5X and DW's Nexus 6 on Project Fi, very stable & few issues, much more responsive and no issues with WiFi signal dropping, etc. Just do a clean install and backup your data on the device first follow instructions and it's all good.

I am about to play and flash Beanstalk's 6.x rom & Gapp here, just to compare - backed up PN already so I can quicky restore if necessary. Have fun with it. I have Nougat 7.x running on Nexus 5X and Motorola Moto E 2015 (XT1521) so not in a hurry to play more with it, just need a stable ROM for the N7 and Apps to stay current & updated, latest Google security patches would be ideal as a bonus.

I got a little impatient and flashed the 8/22 build. Also converted data and cache to F2FS and flashed Parrotmod while I was at it and I couldn't be happier! Considered flashing a different kernel, but thought I'd give the stock PN kernel a shot and I'm happy with that as well for now. It's a shame that development overall has slowed down for this device, but having been supported all the way from 2012-2016 and having a little bit of development continue into 2017 is amazing. Thanks for the advice, cheers!

Letitride

I got a little impatient and flashed the 8/22 build. Also converted data and cache to F2FS and flashed Parrotmod while I was at it and I couldn't be happier! Considered flashing a different kernel, but thought I'd give the stock PN kernel a shot and I'm happy with that ...
Well, my N7 2012 WiFi is back on "homemade" PN as before, just did a TWRP restore & cleaned up a few minor cache thing.

Beanstalk & Gapp installed just fine, and did a full wipe as per instructions - just not as responsive compared to PN, touchscreen slow with input. I have Parrotmod on the SD partition but did not install it, stock kernel as provided. When I get more time, if Parrotmod is that good, I will backup first and then do a clean install again to see how it go. How's PN doing so far for you ? Regards, stay tuned for an update on PM later in the week once I find some spare time to do this ... got a major winter blizzard coming up the East Coast tonight, expecting to dump 14" to 18" of snow in the NY area.

SGH-i200

Aug 31, 2009
Sony Xperia XZ1
Google Pixel 2
no PureNexus Nougat ROM for our grouper

Big Announcement:
With the main dev stopping building for N5 and N7 2013 I will stop for Grouper also.
NathanBenis is the main developer of PureNexus. He has stated [N5 and N7 2013] will not be supported anymore and will only focus on current devices. https://plus.google.com/+NathanBenis/posts/HdGX1FYerDM
NathanBenis said:
Don’t worry about this, I’m sure one of the unofficial builders will step in here like they have in the past as we’ve seen some very nice ports for things like the Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7 (2012) [grouper], Nexus 4, Moto Pure(2015), and Android One devices to name a few.

Too bad NathanBenis was wrong on the unofficial builders thing, since there is no unofficial PureNexus Nougat ROM for our grouper! :crying:

Projektor

Nov 10, 2010
I'm about to attempt a flash of this ROM with the nano Gapps, but before I do so, I was wondering if anyone had feedback on what Kernel they are using?
I seem to be still on the 3.1.10-gf5d7b8b stock Kernel.
Also, how many people use F2SF or EXT4?

ardvrk571

Feb 1, 2013
I'm still using the stock kernel that PN MM comes with for the Grouper. I haven't bothered with F2SF or EXT4. I really only use it for ebooks and magazines.

Projektor

Nov 10, 2010
Of course, of course. I knew the PN part, haha.
So part of the pure_nexus_grouper-6.0.1-20160822-HOMEMADE.zip also flashes the Kernel?

Projektor

Nov 10, 2010
Yes. Just follow the instructions in the first post. If you need help just ask

Thanks! I got it all working. I opted to stay on EXT4 for the time being. Might try switching to F2FS later. It's running amazingly well coming from stock 5.1.1 (which had to be sideloaded as well, cause the OTA version failed everytime for some reason :S).
Parrot Mod is working very well on top!

andrew2432

Thanks! I got it all working. I opted to stay on EXT4 for the time being. Might try switching to F2FS later. It's running amazingly well coming from stock 5.1.1 (which had to be sideloaded as well, cause the OTA version failed everytime for some reason :S).

Which gapps did you go with? Pico, nano?

Or did you elect one of the othere

---------- Post added at 04:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 AM ----------

Which gapps did you use? Nano or pico?

Or did you go with slim/banks?! Those seemed to have some positive reviews while I scanned!!

Just got a free nexus 7 because the cash for tablets said no money! Lady gave it right to me!!!!

AimiFox

Oct 8, 2011
Is there any version of this where the home button works? Not happy.. I even downloaded an app that gives me the home button functionality on a widget and told Emui (loader I use) to select that when I press home.. still didn't work!

Recent apps switcher doesn't work either.

What a joke...

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [UNOFFICIAL][ROM][GROUPER][6.0.1_r62][EXT4/F2FS]★ The Pure Nexus Project ★[22/08/16]

rusG4Nvh.png

The Pure Nexus Project

20acc9v.png

We are not responsible for anything that may happen to your phone as a result of installing custom roms and/or kernels. you do so at your own risk and take the responsibility upon yourself.

"This is a user friendly thread. All feature requests will be heard and considered. I am not against anything that doesn't stray too far away from the original idea of the ROM! Helping one another is also encouraged! Please be respectful and you will always be treated the same way, we are all here for a good experience."

2zzndad.png

The Pure Nexus Project aims to bring stability and features to your Nexus device, while keeping Google's vision in line and not straying too far away from that. If you are looking for a stable ROM with true tested features and minimal bugs, then this is the place to be.

52w7n.png

Code:
    [COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]-General[/COLOR]
    *Based on AOSP Android 6.0.1_r62
    *F2FS compatible for /data & /cache
    *OMS/Substratum Compatiblility
    *Busybox
    *Init.d support
    *Addon.d support
    *Fully Working VoLTE
    *Native Sprint PRL/Profile update
    *Google sounds from factory image not the horrible AOSP ones
    *Googles marshmallow wallpapers added to wallpaper picker 
    *Advanced Reboot menu enabled by default
    *Advanced rotation settings
    *Enabled Developer settings by default
    *Enabled SystemUI tuner by default
    *Enabled option to use multi-window mode
    *Enabled click/longclick on notification panel header items
    *Disabled forced encryption
    *Disabled Tethering checks
    *Disabled Full screen keyboard in landscape
    *Show apps being optimized during initial boot
    *Bug fix's and stability improvements
    *UI Improvements (fixed a bunch google forgot to materialize)
    *Download Speed in download notifications
    *Scrolling cache improvements
    *Seek-bar animation speed and font size control
    *Hostname customization
    *Added Special keys to all keyboard keys
    *Added more smileys to the aosp keyboard
    *Removed googles bug report option
    *Removed googles SystemUpdate option
    *Removed googles legal information
    *Volume Steps

-PureNexus Settings
    [COLOR="Red"]Lock Screen[/COLOR]
    *Scramble pin layout
    *Option to switch between voice and phone shortcut
    *Option to disable lockscreen media art
    *Lockscreeen Wallpaper (add/crop/delete)
    [COLOR="red"]Notification Drawer[/COLOR]
    *Weather
    *Force Expanded Notifications
    [COLOR="red"]Statusbar[/COLOR]
    *Battery customization (stock, landscape, circle, dotted circle, text, none)
    *Battery percent options (hidden, inside the icon, next to the icon)
    *Battery icon color option
    *Clock customization (on/off, color, alignment, am/pm, date, date style, date position, date format)
    *Status-bar options (double-tap to sleep)
    [COLOR="red"]Navigation Bar[/COLOR]
    *Enable/disable
    *IME toggle
    *Long-press back to kill toggle
    *Long-press recents for last app toggle
    *Navigation bar size customization (width, height, length)
    [COLOR="red"]PowerMenu[/COLOR]
    *Option to disable on secure lock
    *Add/remove (reboot, screenshot, screen-record, airplane mode, user switcher,settings shortcut, search, voice search, lock now, sound panel)
    [COLOR="red"]Volume Rocker[/COLOR]
    *Volume key wake
    *Volume key music control
    *Volume key keyboard cursor control
    [COLOR="red"]Display[/COLOR]
    *option to enable/disable wake on plug
    [COLOR="red"]Notifications[/COLOR]
    *option to disable low battery notification
    *Option to disable battery saver notification
    [COLOR="red"]cLock Settings[/COLOR]
    *Customize the cLock widget
    [COLOR="red"]Tools and info[/COLOR]
    *device info
    *battery history
    *usage statistics
    *wifi info
    *build.prop editor
    *fi switch tools (if project fi sim is installed)

6ocxu8.png

Google Doc's Changelog

2q9fbj9.png

Rom Builds: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=37911

Recommended Gapps: Open Gapps (Nano or Pico)

Sources:
    Rom Source: https://github.com/PureNexusProject
    Device Tree: https://github.com/GtrCraft/marshmallow_grouper
    Kernel Tree: https://github.com/GtrCraft/android_kernel_asus_grouper

Useful tweaks for better performance:

journaling off (flash jubei_test_script_remove_journal.zip)

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2280496
    or
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=64429384&postcount=122

Trimmer (set auto trim every day)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fifthelement.trimmer
    or
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=64429384&postcount=122

Background processes set to 4 in Settings --> Developer Options

Parrotmod (don't use with the other mods):
    http://xdaforums.com/nexus-7/orig-development/parrotmod-speed-2012-nexus-7-emmc-fix-t3300416
    Big Announcement:
    With the main dev stopping building for N5 and N7 2013 I will stop for Grouper also.
    The update from yesterday is the last one.
    I have had a fun time developing for Grouper, thanks guys
    May security patch is here:
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24533103863137239

-Updated to 6.0.1 r25
    -For the rest wait for the official release