FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
H10 Turbo

[DISCUSSION] Active Nexus 7 (2012) users - how's it going?

167 posts
Thanks Meter: 19

By xantonin, Senior Member on 27th December 2017, 03:38 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I recently dug up my Nexus 7 and I'd like to make it usable. Last I remember, I had updated it to Android 5.x+, maybe even CM 11+, and it was slower than crap, so I went back to CM 10.2 and it's alright now, way more usable. At that time upgrading to newer Android versions was horrible for performance...

So how are things now? What is the fastest/most usable ROM?
I've seen some 7.x ROMs out there. Also been reading on ParrotMod.

What are you all using? Looking for active users, not people like me that just have it sitting somewhere lol
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xantonin For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift xantonin Ad-Free

28th December 2017, 01:49 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Not higher 4.4.4. AOSP 7 is good, but 4 is still faster. crDroid is also good, but I prefer a pure AOSP.
PS: do not install social or other applications that will run in the background and use device memory during synchronization. Internal flash memory of this device - a weak point and the cause of all lags.
28th December 2017, 07:52 PM |#3  
wales
Thanks Meter: 16

More
I'm running a CyanogenMod Rom.

Dont ask me what one, I only use it for music and video rarely.

It is always super snappy on cyanogen.
29th December 2017, 02:30 AM |#4  
Flag Trinity
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Paid 40$ for mine
Dude said he could not get it to charge,
I am a hardware tech by trade, Opened it, saw the bracket around the actual connection , Closed it up, Charging, Took me 4 mins, and a 1.99$ set of tools, let my 5 yo son use it for 2 weeks until Xmas, ( he got a 2017 Fire 7 tablet, so did his sister, She is 2) .
Continue...Rooted, 5.1.1, LMY47V.

I love it, Been using it at work, watching Maddogs on Amazon prime, Lags at bit but i do tether my phone, Company network is monitored, so .. found everything i needed right here, just downloaded AEX-Unofficial_grouper. going to try it shortly. will let you know.

For some reason i was unable to get AEX to load properly, i followed instructions, wound up downloading 4.4.0 stock, and flashed that, as it rebooted it pulled the 4.4.2 OTA update, and wanted to load 4.4.3, going to run it at 4.4.2 for a few days and see,
31st December 2017, 11:08 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 59

More
My N7 3G is still my daily driver for reading newspapers, various magazines and surfing.
Due to heavy lags with stock 5.1, I first installed the ParrotMod and later I switched to the Nougat AOSP ROM from AndDiSa for half a year. Now I am on 7.1 nAOSP from millosr, due to better support for N7 3G model. Both ROMs are stable and fast enough for my needs. To prevent system slow down after a couple of days without rebooting, I additionally installed the Greenify app.
1st January 2018, 09:05 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 33

More
Recovery:
TWRP
format "system" to f2fs

ROM:
Android 7.x AOSP

gapps:
open_gapps-arm-7.1-pico

root:
Magisk

force gpu rendering
animation off
install greenify to hibernate not in use apps

4.4.4 is fastest, 7.1 is great if you need newer ver
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nat510 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift nat510 Ad-Free
1st January 2018, 03:36 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Good idea to have this thread!

Constantly wishing it had a >720p screen. It's great for watching videos and 'good enough' for reading comics but it leaves a lot to be desired for ebook text clarity. I was very happy to still have this when I took an 18 hour train trip this past August and used Netflix to download a bunch of videos beforehand. Since then it's been on my bedside and every once every three weeks I'll go to use it and realize I left it on and unplugged and the battery is dead (oops).

I would consider upgrading to another tablet, but what are my options at this point for one around this size? A 2013 Nexus 7 or the Nvidia shield tablet? I've pretty much given up justifying a purchase because my phone's screen is less than an inch and a half smaller (OnePlus 5T).

ROM: https://forum.xda-developers.com/nex...nexus-t3174831
I had this running 7.1.1 or whatever and the responsiveness was unacceptable. I completely wiped my device's storage and put this "Unofficial LineageOS 11.0" ROM on. Highly recommend it, although even at this point some apps are not available and you'll have to hunt around for apks. I'm about to update to the 26th November 2017 build (on page 10). Apparently I'm still ext4. I have trimming automatically running every week or boot or something.

I've seen the 'car installations' and those seem really neat but I'm not up to doing that myself. When the battery performance gets bad enough I'd like to repurpose it as a raspberry pi / arduino interface.
4th January 2018, 10:42 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Using my Tilapia (Nexus 7 3G) as a geocaching device on a daily basis I was used to find a more modern version than 4.4.4 and stock 5.1 was, as everybody should know, crappy and laggy as f*ck. For some time I used AndDiSa's 7.1.1 AOSP and it was way more stable than any version I used before. Then I stumbled across Dirty Unicorns unofficial port by daniel_hk and as long as you don't use the official facebook app is is a charme. I would recommend you to use this ROM.
There is also a handfull of other unofficial ports like AirOne70's version for grouper and a few others.
Another remarkable Dev is milos. I tried his nightly AOSP from 10/08/2017 and as long as you don't use GAPPS the performance and stability is impressive, but I can't find a link atm.

If anyone needs links please PM me, I'm not yet allowed to post them here...
8th January 2018, 10:05 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Is there anyway to make facebook usable on Nexus7?
The Following User Says Thank You to jretropie For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jretropie Ad-Free
9th January 2018, 06:12 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Ok. After testing many roms.

The only way to get facebook runnable is to use android 4.3.1 (SmoothROM 5.3) ( I think I tested android 7, 6, 5 and 4.4 and all lag like hell)

SmoothROM v5.3 Link

Have to use google chrome and m.facebook.com and add shortcut to desktop.

You can do the same with instagram and youtube. Just don't install the apps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jretropie

Is there anyway to make facebook usable on Nexus7?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jretropie For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jretropie Ad-Free
9th January 2018, 11:19 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Running slim 4.4.4 with ParrotMod (F2FS on data partition only). Rooted and SDMaid scheduled to clean things up nightly.

It's not a snappy tablet, but it's fine for reading Facebook and news in the middle of the night--even for watching YouTube videos.

I have the audio dock, so this tablet makes a superb bedside alarm clock/audio-visual entertainment system. I love how it works with the dock so much that I've got a spare motherboard in case the memory fails (again--this is the third MB and fortunately the display shows no signs of dying).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CCarson For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift CCarson Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)