[Discussion/Tips] Nexus 7 as Car-Tablet.

Search This thread

JakeOrth

Nov 4, 2017
Galiza
Please, can anybody help me?
I´m Timur USB ROM on my Nexus 7 2012.
It´s all ok. I use a OTG Y cable, the tablet charge, but the tablet don´t recognyze the USB (pendrive, sdcard...)
It´s a general problem of the Timur Rom?

Last edited:

virtualspeed

Oct 14, 2011
I´m Timur USB ROM on my Nexus 7 2012.
It´s all ok. I use a OTG Y cable, the tablet charge, but the tablet don´t recognyze the USB (pendrive, sdcard...)
It´s a general problem of the Timur Rom?

I bought some cables and got only one working. Not sure why. In the end i ended up creating my own cable.
Are you powering the tablet from usb charger or computer? try a usb charger.

the cable schematic should be like this
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/6a/85/dd/6a85dd2e3abaf992a257689877e88fe6.jpg
Instead of adding a 100k ohm resistor. a shunt between GND and SENSE should also work.

I bought some of these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/10PCS-Micr...064634?hash=item2a6dc21dfa:g:QMgAAOSwl9RaFqjo

starfarer

Jul 26, 2006
London
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Found N7 2012 with cracked screen while cleaning home and already ordered new LCD with frame. I'll be putting this on car for navigation, music and bluetooth connection to my phone only. Only thing I'm not sure is should I go with USB DAC + amplifier or something like Fiio 10? For now, not looking to replace headunit but a simple mount.

MartyM76

Nov 2, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I'm planning to do the same, with a Nexus 7.

Can anyone tell me if there are any issues removing it from the car and using it at home like a normal tablet, if using the Timur ROM?

Thanks!

NOTE: RE: "not looking to replace headunit but a simple mount."

You can check the RAM Mounts brand Tab-Tite spring loaded mount/cradle. I used one for my Xperia Z Ultra and the Z3 Compact tablet too.

This one includes cups to hold the Nexus 7: Part# RAM-HOL-TAB18-CUPSU
Note that there's also a -TAB16- for using the Nexus 7 with a thinner case, I believe.

eoscylla

Aug 27, 2011
I just recently finish installing the N7 as a secondary media consumption device (THIS IS NOT A FIX INSTALL, I'M ABLE TO TAKE THE TABLET OUT EASILY), along side my car's original radio. Here's my experience:

By today's standards, our beloved N7 is old and slow, keep that in mind!

I tried many roms and configurations, following the ideas and experiences described on this thread. I settled on Omnirom homemade 6.0.1 (Page 7 or 8 on this thread) which is a fast rom and comes with DC kernel which allows for double tap to wake and OTG + CHARGE, after a fastboot boot flash.

Also, Parrotmod memory fix is a good idea.

The cable for OTG is the second one on the OP, great quality and works as advertised.
PEM is good for killing coms and sleep, once power is not detected, thou is a little bit slow, you can rely on microdroid to manage the screen.
Overclocking to 1500 MHZ max and 340 MHZ min is stable and provides great results. Also, kill windows animations and keep activities to 4 max.

Xposed framework is a good. I use it to control rotations, so the tablet always chooses landscape.

I use Car Luncher as interface, with spotify and youtube as main sources for media.
GMAPS works horrible, our tablet is way to slow. I use gmaps go, which is usable. If anybody has any ideas for this, is highly appreciated.

The DAC is a must, sound is so much better once you take the audio processing out of the tablet. A cheap ground loop isolator is a good idea if you don't wanna have noises

I also flash dolby atmos app from the themes and apps thread, works good.

overall, if you are not going to use the tablet for anything else but media consumption and maybe maps, this tablet is still a good idea.

Now, I'm trying to sort a problem which has been address here but not resolved. Whenever the tablet looses power on OTG+CHARGE, you have to unplug and replug the cable in order to have it working again.

Also, I bought a cheap bluetooth remote control, I'm still trying to get it perfectly.

Reactions: starfarer

starfarer

Jul 26, 2006
London
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I'd problems on both Timur and AutoDroid. On both, no sound from DAC (Soundblaster E5) tho can control volume and both had few reboots when OTG cable is unplugged. Android AOSP 7.XX by AnDiSa works very well on grouper but was getting too much static noise on sound through DAC. I'll try OmniROM now.

Not tested for long but don't think I'd problem of losing power.

Last edited:

starfarer

Jul 26, 2006
London
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Get a ground loop isolator for static noise.

Tests were done at home using headphones out. Sound is fine with DC kernel from July 2017 which someone here modified but only works at boot. Anyway I tried omni and couldn't even charge phone so I'm back to AndiSa's excellent 7.x AOSP rom. Charge, USB drive read works out of box and the rom is very fluid. Headunit remix for android Auto works very well. My DAC SB E5 has bluetooth so can use that option instead. Now need to figure out sleep/wake with some automation and would be grateful if someone can post their settings. I prefer simplicity of PowerEventManager but can't find anything on search on how to setup.

Edit: On all ROM, I'm having issues with waze with black background and no map.

Last edited:

naiku

Mar 10, 2008
What do any of you plan on moving onto when your Nexus eventually dies? I have had mine in the car for 5+ years now and it is starting to slow down, understandable, it's been rock solid and I am sure was not designed for the environment it was kept in!! But, trying to find a replacement is proving difficult, Timur's kernel made running the Nexus a piece of cake.

I have a Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 that I looked into trying to use, but I don't believe USB Host Mode works on it. I know it is also a few years old, but is barely used, runs a much newer version of Android that my Nexus and the display would be awesome in the car. But, that USB host mode is a deal breaker. I can use Tasker / Secure Settings etc to put it to sleep, but not being able to use a USB hub, Joycon etc. puts a stop to even trying to modify my dash to fit it.

Any suggestions on newer tablets? Or should I start stocking up on good condition used 2013 Nexus 7's?! Which at this point are also knocking on 5 years old already.

MrFTAMan

Apr 1, 2018
Nexus 7 (2012) grouper with Nougat 7.1.1 for car system

Hi folks!
I’m working on installing my 2012 Nexus 7 grouper with Nougat 7.1.1 into my Ford F-150 truck. My Nexus is rooted.
I’m concern about the USB issues. I’m confuse about the kernel for this issue. If I install the Timur kernel would it conflict the Nougat 7.1.1?
I am new with all this. What do I need to make all of this to work?

peterko64

May 29, 2010
Epsom
Waze on Nexus 7

Is there a ROM that will allow me to just see a split screen of google maps and waze?

You can on 6.0 and above (I think 6.0 requires allowing that somewhere in system, 7.1.2 is fine) but one of the windows of split screen won't be refreshing until you touch it. It's either Waze or Gmaps. Other option is to run Waze full screen and then let Gmaps show notifications and/or voice guidance.
Also see below..

Tests were done at home using headphones out. Sound is fine with DC kernel from July 2017 which someone here modified but only works at boot. Anyway I tried omni and couldn't even charge phone so I'm back to AndiSa's excellent 7.x AOSP rom. Charge, USB drive read works out of box and the rom is very fluid. Headunit remix for android Auto works very well. My DAC SB E5 has bluetooth so can use that option instead. Now need to figure out sleep/wake with some automation and would be grateful if someone can post their settings. I prefer simplicity of PowerEventManager but can't find anything on search on how to setup.

Edit: On all ROM, I'm having issues with waze with black background and no map.

Waze is behaving odd on custom rooms higher than 5.1.1.
What I found so far the problem lies in Waze graphics engine as of version 4 and above.
Solution is to use original Android or Waze version below 4.0.
This worked for me. Get it on apkmirror.com
If anyone finds a workaround and manages to run newest version of Waze please post it here along with the set up or way hoe to do it. Will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Gabsthejerk

Aug 3, 2016
My e46 is sporting one Nexus 7 2013 wifi only. I'm using this ROM https://xdaforums.com/nexus-7-2013/development/rom-usb-host-based-rr-timur-s-t3659332 with the following setup
MicroG -NanoDroid Magisk module + fake store installed through Xposed Framework.
Greenify, Naptime and Amplify for app hibernation, doze and alarms/wakelock coalescence
Macrodroid for automation (not a Tasker fan and MD does pretty much everything you need)

With this setup Waze fails to aquire GPS lock Maps does aquire the gps lock but after about 10 minutes which is an inconvenience. My workaround was to use Offline navigation from F-Droid repos and it works flawlessly.

I have to mention that even though the ROM posted above has been abandoned by it's developer and has minor bugs, there's little to nothing that can't be fixed.

The tablet is quite loaded as i run nova launcher, zooper widget, torque, poweramp, spotify and many other heavy-on-usage apps and even so i have a loss of 2-3% battery over 24 hours, and that has to do with "network location services" trying to find GSM network (?)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There's millions of these devices around. If not laying in a draw or closet, they're on craigslist or ebay half of a N7'13, (2013 model should be considered if purchasing).
    Share and discuss your setup, apps, and experiences here.

ROMs:
    Kernels:
    Apps:

Hardware:
    Others/Tips/etc:
    • Put the tablet in bootloader and type this command into CMD/terminal.
      This makes the tablet to boot when external power is turned on without physically pressing the button, even if the battery has completely discharged.
      Code:
      fastboot oem off-mode-charge 0
    • If using a Lollipop ROM and experiencing the NlpCollectorWakeLock here's a fix, you must be rooted:
      1. Remove com.google.android.gms with titanium backup (or another utility),
      2. Download the latest "230" version of Google Play Services from apkmirror.com,
      3. Install,
      4. Reboot.
    • Smooth Scroll Mod: Possible created a random reboot on the order of once 3 or 4 days.
    • It goes without saying, maybe, but do not install 3rd party widgets. Beautiful Widgets for example will cause thousnads of different wakelocks though a night. -inadvertently tested.
    If anyone is interested in Android 6.0 for using in Car I have ported the usb changes from Oxydo kernel to DC-Kernel and use OmniRom-HOMEMAKE. Its working well and it has got Double Tap to Wake as I don't keep the screen on 100% of time. Thanks to @daniel_hk for his good work.

To use it you will need to
    1. Install latest OmniRom from the thread and install SuperSU Systemless Root as mentioned in thread.
    2. Replace boot image with the one link in fastboot mode : Link to bootimage
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot boot-usb-host-charging.img
    3. Follow steps in OP for Oxydo Kernel / Lollipop.

- I use PowerEventMgr-1.8.apk for enabling the hostmode charging and fast charging in host mode and fixed install mode.
    - MacroDroid for switching off the tablet if not powered and screen is off after 1 minute of loosing power. In this way my tablet is still charged even when I am not driving for a couple of days. Macros in the bootimage link
    - Disabled off-mode-charging to power up tablet when usb is powered up
    Anyone still have these files. The hard drive i was storing all my old stuff on failed. I wanted to start this project over and I can't find a host for the files that still has them up.

Here is my Nexus 7 folder. I will try to put everything i have about nexus 7 in here. Hope some of these help nexus 7 owners. I can store more files if any of you want. Just send a PM

Onedrive Scholar
    What I got....later

Wow didn't know there was an active Car Tablet Nexus 7 thread going on. Maybe I can throw in two cents...or more :cowboy:
    (If anyone is interested I could post my setup)

Hi guys, Im almost there with my install :) now im have problem with tasker and waking up tablet. Generally everything works till i start engine..... well when i turn on ignition tablet turns on screen turns on so OK :) BUT when turn the key to start the engine, it cut off the power to tablet for like 2-3 sec and that cause to activate power off profile on tasker, even so power came back and power on profile is on now. As a result tablet goes off after few seconds since i start the engine... :/ I put "wait" task into power off profile but didnt help.... :/ any ideas??

You really can't do much about this as it's the difference between quickly turning your key to starting the engine vs waiting 2-3 seconds, which is what I do as well :p . Sometimes I get the power off screen and I simply cancel it. But if you want a hardware solution, the device is called a "Delay Off Switch". I can point you to this:

For the hardcore electronics ppl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ37vljpHKs
    (Use a 200uF capacitor to get a few seconds of ON time)

For the quick fix (but shipping is slow): http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-DC-Dela...rn-off-Switch-Module-with-Timer-/121672288303
    (Input connects to 12V, output supports a wide variety of voltages. It's basically a switch)

I had issues even opening up Google maps while in lollipop, soooo sllooooow. I only able to open maps, or music, or OBD stuff, cannot run them together. Now on kitkat I can run at least 2 apps simultaneously without any issues (like maps and music, or music and OBDII stuff). I did get issues when running three apps (music, maps, and obdII stuff). As for dashcommand, the refresh rates is quite ok for me. I like dashcommand morecompared to torque since it has nicer layout/themes out of the box. It's like having GTR multi information display that looks very factory.

I have another irritating issues though. If the nexus7 battery nearly full (above 90%) and charging. I hear a lot of strange noises, even when the engine is off. I touch the screen, doing any activities creates a lot of noises. if I disconnect the charger the noises are gone! and if the battery was like at 50% and charging no funny noises either. I was wondering how do I fix this.....

My setup is using the aux output of the nexus 7 to aux input of the factory bose head unit. Tried to use bluetooth to aux adapter but I did not like the sound quality (too many hissing noise) and also introduces alternator whine :(

Should I get the USB DAC thing?

I just bought one of these.. (not exactly that brand), on mine one of the channels is not working so I only got one side audio channel only :( It also degrades the sound quality I think. I guess I need to bought the better one.

EDIT: What if I buy the ground loop isolator intended for 12volt line like this one? Install it on 12v cigarette lighter (before 12v to 5v dc-dc adapter). If this one works the audio quality will not changed as the ground is lifted on the 12v line.

I use a USB DAC on my setup but also I have it connected to a USB isolator before connecting to a hub. My isolator:

https://www.circuitsathome.com/products-page/usb-interfaces
    (No longer has assembled ones. But a google search might reveal other USB isolators.)

Keep in mind that the isolator doesn't support USB 2.0! Which is why I have it connected to my USB DAC only, which is all that needs filtering anyway.
    Attached is my V2 blocked list for Debloater. It removes more apps, but leaves a few others for better stability.
    V2 now removes Connectivity Services and Play Services. I recommend using on a clean install immediately going into airplane mode so no apps will start auto-updating.
    With Play Services being removed by the app you will need to install with adb if no file manager is installed beforehand.

Created a Tasker app that helps Power Event Manager. Secure Settings and Power Event Manger is needed.
    If PEM doesn't shut down in 7 seconds, The app closes some problem apps, hope you used the debloat list, and calls PEM to sleep the tablet. Upon wake up app then disables airplane mode.