FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Guide] Rooting Nexus 7 (2012) Lollipop [5 Simple Steps]

11 posts
Thanks Meter: 3

By pushqrdx, Junior Member on 16th September 2019, 07:42 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Every single guide i found went through a little bit too much, in this guide i'll show you how to root your device without installing custom recovery in 5 easy steps. I am going to assume that you already have android platform tools installed on your computer

Downloads
  1. TWRP: Asus Nexus 7 2012 Wi-Fi | Asus Nexus 7 2012 3G
  2. Latest Magisk from the official github repo
Steps
  1. Boot into the bootloader by holding Power + Vol Down for about 10 secs
  2. Connect your device using a usb cable to your computer
  3. If you see LOCK STATE - UNLOCKED, skip this step, otherwise you need to unlock your bootloader by running this command from your computer. Accept and wait while device resets. *this will wipe your device
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock
  4. Your bootloader should now be unlocked, running this will give you access to twrp without installing it
    Code:
    fastboot boot path/to/twrp-recover.img
  5. Now you have two pathways:~
    • Normal: Use your touch screen to install magisk.zip file you downloaded from github and you're done
    • Broken Screen/Digitizer: From your computer while twrp is open, type this command. * assuming that you renamed magisk archive to magisk.zip and copied it to your sdcard with adb push
      Code:
      adb shell twrp install /sdcard/magisk.zip
Going Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by GedBlake

If, in the unlikely event, you do mess up rooting your tablet, you can easily re-flash to factory using the factory stock images available at the links below...

Nexus 7 - WiFi only
https://developers.google.com/android/images/#nakasi

Nexus 7 - WiFi and 3G
https://developers.google.com/android/images/#nakasig

Reboot, Have fun!
The Following User Says Thank You to pushqrdx For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pushqrdx Ad-Free

17th September 2019, 09:50 PM |#2  
Flag Ashton-under-Lyne, Manchester, UK
Thanks Meter: 557

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pushqrdx

Every single guide i found went through a little bit too much, in this guide i'll show you how you can root your device without installing custom recovery with 5 easy steps. I am going to assume that you already have android platform tools installed on your computer

Downloads
1- TWRP: Asus Nexus 7 2012 Wi-Fi | Asus Nexus 7 2012 3G
2- Latest Magisk from the official github repo

Steps

1- Boot into the bootloader by holding Power + Vol Down for about 10 secs.
2- Connect your device using a usb cable to your computer.
3- If you see LOCK STATE - UNLOCKED, skip this step, otherwise you need to unlock your bootloader by running this command from your computer. Accept and wait while device resets * this will wipe your device

4- Your bootloader should now be unlocked, running this will give you access to twrp without installing it.

5- Now you have 2 pathways
Normal: Use your touch screen to install magisk.zip file you downloaded from github and you're done
Broken Screen/Digitizer: From your computer while twrp is open type this command. * assuming that you renamed magisk archive to magisk.zip and copied it to your sdcard

Reboot, Have fun

Hi, pushqrdx...

A nice and concise guide, and whilst it's perhaps a little late in the day (the Nexus 7 is, after all, some 7 years old now ~ where does the time go!), I always think that the more of these guides there are, the better.

For example, someone might have just picked up an old Nexus 7 somewhere second hand, and might be looking for such instructions as yours.

I also like the way you've updated the procedure for Magisk. The last time I rooted anything, let alone a Nexus 7, was with Chainfire's SuperSU root package. But of course, root is done via Magisk these days, so yours is a nicely updated guide.

And you've also provided a contingency scenario for a damaged screen/digitizer - not something I've had to deal with myself.

-------------------------

I hope you don't mind me adding a little additional tip for anyone reading this...

If, in the unlikely event you do mess up rooting the Nexus 7, you can easily reflash back to factory using the factory stock images available at the links below...

Nexus 7 - WiFi only
https://developers.google.com/android/images/#nakasi

Nexus 7 - WiFi and 3G
https://developers.google.com/android/images/#nakasig

-------------------------

So, in conclusion then, a straightforward and concise guide that covers all the basics to rooting the Nexus 7 - kudos to you sir for writing it.

Kind Rgrds,
Ged.
Today, 03:41 AM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GedBlake

Hi, pushqrdx...

A nice and concise guide, and whilst it's perhaps a little late in the day (the Nexus 7 is, after all, some 7 years old now ~ where does the time go!), I always think that the more of these guides there are, the better.

For example, someone might have just picked up an old Nexus 7 somewhere second hand, and might be looking for such instructions as yours.

I also like the way you've updated the procedure for Magisk. The last time I rooted anything, let alone a Nexus 7, was with Chainfire's SuperSU root package. But of course, root is done via Magisk these days, so yours is a nicely updated guide.

And you've also provided a contingency scenario for a damaged screen/digitizer - not something I've had to deal with myself.

Thanks! I had to deal with a broken tablet recently and i thought it would be nice to share incase anybody finds it useful. And yeah Nexus 7 is so damn old 😂. Also thanks for the tip i have edited the post to include it as a quote from you
The Following User Says Thank You to pushqrdx For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pushqrdx Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)