FORUMS

Installing a Nexus 7 Gen 2 in my BMW e46 - Do i need a cd/radio player?

13 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By henrikrox, Junior Member on 11th September 2014, 08:32 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
So i got my new car today

And found a site that sells a "complete" kit for installing a Nexus 7 Gen 2 in the car.

However (i feel like I'm a senior for asking this, but here it goes):

Product: http://www.ironlight.us/products/

Dont i need to use the old cdplayer/radio unit here?Im not interested in those function and actually just want Spotify and navigation. But i have seen other videos where people have cd players/radio units behind the tablet in the dash. This uses and amp instead

If u see the wiring schematics, is that enough to get it up and running and i can just take out my cd player and reattach if/when i sell my car.

Wiring

Didn't know which forum i should post inn, the help forum didn't receive many answers do their questions, I'm sorry if I posted in the wrong forum.
11th September 2014, 09:16 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Case: N140920909
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrikrox

So i got my new car today

And found a site that sells a "complete" kit for installing a Nexus 7 Gen 2 in the car.

However (i feel like I'm a senior for asking this, but here it goes):

Product: http://www.ironlight.us/products/

Dont i need to use the old cdplayer/radio unit here?Im not interested in those function and actually just want Spotify and navigation. But i have seen other videos where people have cd players/radio units behind the tablet in the dash. This uses and amp instead

If u see the wiring schematics, is that enough to get it up and running and i can just take out my cd player and reattach if/when i sell my car.

Didn't know which forum i should post inn, the help forum didn't receive many answers do their questions, I'm sorry if I posted in the wrong forum.

Hello,

Based on the diagram here you do not need your radio. This set up will make your Nexus 7 the stand alone device. All of the audio will be provided directly from the Nexus 7. From what I see here you basically just remove the radio, install a small amplifier, dash kit and your Nexus 7. It should plug straight into your factory speaker system.

Note: I am just assuming from the pictures you have provided, actual results may vary.
11th September 2014, 09:20 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]

Hello,

Based on the diagram here you do not need your radio. This set up will make your Nexus 7 the stand alone device. All of the audio will be provided directly from the Nexus 7. From what I see here you basically just remove the radio, install a small amplifier, dash kit and your Nexus 7. It should plug straight into your factory speaker system.

Note: I am just assuming from the pictures you have provided, actual results may vary.

Thanks, really appreciate it.

I guess i loose some audio quality over the DAC alternative, but atleast its using a ground loop isolator which should help with RF noise and distortion.

Only thing now to "worry" about is that the thing i didn't think about was me having the new Nexus 7 tablet, and since I'm new to android, i don't know if for example cardroid rom works on the 2013 nexus 7, or just the old one.

But appreciate your help mate
11th September 2014, 10:22 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrikrox

Thanks, really appreciate it.

I guess i loose some audio quality over the DAC alternative, but atleast its using a ground loop isolator which should help with RF noise and distortion.

Only thing now to "worry" about is that the thing i didn't think about was me having the new Nexus 7 tablet, and since I'm new to android, i don't know if for example cardroid rom works on the 2013 nexus 7, or just the old one.

But appreciate your help mate

Since yours is the 2nd gen I would recommend checking out the threads for that specific model. This section you posted is for the 2012 1st gen.

Please visit: http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-7-2013 to find some more details about your model.
11th September 2014, 11:05 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]

Since yours is the 2nd gen I would recommend checking out the threads for that specific model. This section you posted is for the 2012 1st gen.

Please visit: http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-7-2013 to find some more details about your model.

Yes i saw that after i already posted

Thanks again for your help
12th September 2014, 03:52 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
I have a first gen installed in my e46, If you have any questions I'd be happy to help you out
2nd June 2015, 02:56 PM |#7  

More
Hello
I search a kit like this for the Nexus 7 2012.
Can anyone help me ?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)