Use Nexus 7 as a remote desktop machine

Search This thread

Torontonian22

Aug 1, 2018
Lyon
Hello Everyone,

First post here ! I've been reading a lot of very interesting things around here but I find myself stuck, hence this new thread (no ****, sherlock). I've been looking around on Google and here but couldn't really find what I was looking for so here I am.

First of all, a bit of context so that you get what I'm trying to achieve. I have a very old computer that I use for gaming. I'm not a hardcore gamers looking to play in 4K 360FPS and not part of the PC Master race by any means. With that said, I'm still looking at 1080p 60fps as my goal. And amazingly enough, my old PC allows me to do that. In fact, despite its age, my PC runs fairly well. So well that I don't feel the need to spend money to change it (plus money is tight). So, playing on my PC is actually great, can't complain there. However, I also enjoy playing in the living room. I actually play more with a controller in "console" mode than sitting at my desk. If my PC was close to the TV, the problem would be easily solved. As it's not the case I have to rely on other solutions.

I have a nvidia shield TV and tried Gamestream and Steam Link. Both are unfortunately dependent on my local network quality. Considering I'm using powerlines to connect my PC to the router, the quality is sometime unstable which doesn't meet my requirements. As stated previously, my PC is OLD and I don't think it's powerful enough to run and stream the game with a decent output either. So old hardware and unstable local network = bad experience in game streaming. And this is where I'm trying to achieve the contrary then what everyone is doing : people are streaming there games to their living room, I plan do the opposite.

I have a Nexus 7 sitting in a drawer somewhere that I don't use anymore. I was thinking of the following setup :
- Move my computer to the living room and plug it to the TV --> enjoy good gaming performance right in the leaving room
- Use my Nexus 7 in my office using remote desktop app --> less heavy than gaming, I should be able to work on Word, Excel, browse the web. Basically, use my PC for computing stuff via remote desktop with little to no delay.
- My office would actually look cleaner as well with a very minimalistic setup ^^

Problem :
- Is there a way to connect the Nexus 7 to a monitor using HDMI;
- Keep the Nexus 7 charged;
- And connect a keyboard and mouse to the Nexus via USB ? Or BT is the way to go ?
- Could this be achieved more easily with a Chromecast ? If yes, how should i proceed ?
- Would using the computer for everything else than gaming be OK in that configuration ?

It looks like a fun project to try. However, if it proves to be impossible or if you think the performance would be too poor to be usable, than I'll think about building another cheap PC (I have an old I5 760 lying around) : 1 for gaming and 1 for office stuff.

asmalldharma

Jul 22, 2015
GT-i9250
Nexus 7
Is the Nexus 7 the 2012 or 2013 variety? From what I can find, the 2012 does NOT have a slimport USB but the 2013 DOES. In which case, buying the right cable should let you connect it directly to a monitor.
If you have the 2012 version... I can't give a true recommendation since I've never tried this, but if you do end up going the chromecast-attached-to-a-monitor/tv route, I would use Chrome to cast the desktop (apparently you can do this) to the chromecast instead of casting from your tablet. Meaning, don't cast your remote desktop from the tablet to the TV, use the tablet to remotely cast your desktop to the chromecast. Hopefully that's clear. The amount of lag from casting a remote desktop would probably make it unusable.

Torontonian22

Aug 1, 2018
Lyon
Hello,

I have the 2013 model so yes, with the right adapter I should be able to connect it to a monitor. Now There is still the issue of using a KB and mouse with it while keeping the tablet charged (the battery drains quite fast when casting). Maybe that's too much to handle for a tablet ^^

Is the Nexus 7 the 2012 or 2013 variety? From what I can find, the 2012 does NOT have a slimport USB but the 2013 DOES. In which case, buying the right cable should let you connect it directly to a monitor.
If you have the 2012 version... I can't give a true recommendation since I've never tried this, but if you do end up going the chromecast-attached-to-a-monitor/tv route, I would use Chrome to cast the desktop (apparently you can do this) to the chromecast instead of casting from your tablet. Meaning, don't cast your remote desktop from the tablet to the TV, use the tablet to remotely cast your desktop to the chromecast. Hopefully that's clear. The amount of lag from casting a remote desktop would probably make it unusable.

asmalldharma

Jul 22, 2015
GT-i9250
Nexus 7
Hello,

I have the 2013 model so yes, with the right adapter I should be able to connect it to a monitor. Now There is still the issue of using a KB and mouse with it while keeping the tablet charged (the battery drains quite fast when casting). Maybe that's too much to handle for a tablet ^^
https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16834989578

Your tablet should have wireless charging, so maybe a slimport cable, wireless charger, and Bluetooth keyboard and mouse would work?

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Torontonian22

Aug 1, 2018
Lyon
Your tablet should have wireless charging, so maybe a slimport cable, wireless charger, and Bluetooth keyboard and mouse would work?

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Looks like I learned something today ! Didn't even know they made a dedicated dock for the Nexus 7 tablet ! looks this little device could actually help me solve my problem. I'll look into it in more depths.

I actually use wireless charging but can't actually put it on my current tablet stand (or else it looks messy as hell)

Thanks for the great tips !