[TUTORIAL] Change your Nexus 7 2012 files system to F2FS.

Search This thread

enderzip

Aug 3, 2019
Hanoi
Nexus 7
Google Pixel
Have you ever experience slow down, lag or even freeze on your Nexus 7 2012? Well there is a solution to this problem by changing your files system to F2FS, this solution will not revive your old and dying flash memory but it will greatly improve performance on any ROM, especially Android 5.1. There is many methods on XDA like ParrotMod by parrotgeek1. But F2FS is a more well known method for this.
REQUIREMENTS
1. TWRP recovery installed.
2. A ROM that support F2FS (search Google for this).
3. A kernel that support F2FS (most likely will be included in the ROM).

1. REBOOT INTO TWRP (duh)
2. BACKUP YOUR FILES (optional)
Step 1: Press "Backup"
Step 2: Select System, Data and Boot.
Step 3: Swipe to Backup
Step 4: Wait...
Step 5: Copy the backup files to your PC (copy the BACKUPS folder)(/sdcard/TWRP/BACKUPS/)
Congratulation, you have successfully backup your device.
3. FORMAT TO F2FS (the fun part :))
Step 1: Press "Wipe".
C6ftO9c.png

Step 2: Press "Advanced Wipe".
BJEquLI.png

Step 3: Select the partition you want to format to F2FS. The ROM you choose might not support /system F2FS so you have to be careful. After that, press "Repair or Change File System".
lDVAfIt.png

Step 4: Select "Change File System".
CV1ue2a.png

Step 5: Press "F2FS".
RmwaHdd.png

Step 6: Swipe to Change.
tnVU3Vh.png

Step 7: Wait...
Step 8: (optional) Copy your BACKUPS file to your device and select "Restore" on your TWRP home screen.
Step 9: (optional) Select the folder you just copy to your device.
Step 10: (optional) Select the partition you want to restore.
Step 11 (optional) Swipe to Restore.
After its done, you can reboot your device.
Congratualtion, you have successfully format your files system to F2FS.

Note: If you want to change your device back to EXT4, follow the step above, press "EXT4" instead of "F2FS" at Step 5.

TROUBLESHOOTING
My device is stuck at the Android screen!
Power off your device and follow this guide:
https://xdaforums.com/nexus-7/general/how-to-flash-stock-android-google-nexus-t3309881

That is! If you have any trouble, feel free to ask me :)

Last edited:
Reactions: roygaard

Jeffdaddy

Mar 20, 2007
I have a 2012 nexus 7 that's so soow and unresponsive It used to be so awesome and snappy. Does this make the 2012 nexus 7's usable again

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

enderzip

Aug 3, 2019
Hanoi
Nexus 7
Google Pixel
I have a 2012 nexus 7 that's so soow and unresponsive It used to be so awesome and snappy. Does this make the 2012 nexus 7's usable again

Depend on the ROM you are using. I suggest you use the ParrotMod by parrotgeek (the link is in the post). F2FS need a compatible ROM to work, and sometimes will cause compatibility issues.
Yes, it will greatly improve your Nexus 7's eMMC performance.

Reactions: Jeffdaddy

Jeffdaddy

Mar 20, 2007
Tried to follow your tutorial my TWRP didn't have a change to f2fs, am I doing something wrong?20200526_005259.jpg

enderzip

Aug 3, 2019
Hanoi
Nexus 7
Google Pixel
Reactions: Jeffdaddy

Jeffdaddy

Mar 20, 2007
Well, it sounded good but everytime I convert to f2fs it has a boot screen asking me for the decrypt password and won't let me get past that, but when I convert back to ext4, no boot screen, ever deal with this? I only get the but screen in f2fsm

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Have you ever experience slow down, lag or even freeze on your Nexus 7 2012? Well there is a solution to this problem by changing your files system to F2FS, this solution will not revive your old and dying flash memory but it will greatly improve performance on any ROM, especially Android 5.1. There is many methods on XDA like ParrotMod by parrotgeek1. But F2FS is a more well known method for this.
    REQUIREMENTS
    1. TWRP recovery installed.
    2. A ROM that support F2FS (search Google for this).
    3. A kernel that support F2FS (most likely will be included in the ROM).

1. REBOOT INTO TWRP (duh)
    2. BACKUP YOUR FILES (optional)
    Step 1: Press "Backup"
    Step 2: Select System, Data and Boot.
    Step 3: Swipe to Backup
    Step 4: Wait...
    Step 5: Copy the backup files to your PC (copy the BACKUPS folder)(/sdcard/TWRP/BACKUPS/)
    Congratulation, you have successfully backup your device.
    3. FORMAT TO F2FS (the fun part :))
    Step 1: Press "Wipe".
    C6ftO9c.png

Step 2: Press "Advanced Wipe".
    BJEquLI.png

Step 3: Select the partition you want to format to F2FS. The ROM you choose might not support /system F2FS so you have to be careful. After that, press "Repair or Change File System".
    lDVAfIt.png

Step 4: Select "Change File System".
    CV1ue2a.png

Step 5: Press "F2FS".
    RmwaHdd.png

Step 6: Swipe to Change.
    tnVU3Vh.png

Step 7: Wait...
    Step 8: (optional) Copy your BACKUPS file to your device and select "Restore" on your TWRP home screen.
    Step 9: (optional) Select the folder you just copy to your device.
    Step 10: (optional) Select the partition you want to restore.
    Step 11 (optional) Swipe to Restore.
    After its done, you can reboot your device.
    Congratualtion, you have successfully format your files system to F2FS.

Note: If you want to change your device back to EXT4, follow the step above, press "EXT4" instead of "F2FS" at Step 5.

TROUBLESHOOTING
    My device is stuck at the Android screen!
    Power off your device and follow this guide:
    https://xdaforums.com/nexus-7/general/how-to-flash-stock-android-google-nexus-t3309881

That is! If you have any trouble, feel free to ask me :)

Depend on the ROM you are using. I suggest you use the ParrotMod by parrotgeek (the link is in the post). F2FS need a compatible ROM to work, and sometimes will cause compatibility issues.
    Yes, it will greatly improve your Nexus 7's eMMC performance.
    Tried to follow your tutorial my TWRP didn't have a change to f2fs, am I doing something wrong?View attachment 5026845

You need to update your TWRP recovery to the lastest version. TWRP link: https://dl.twrp.me/grouper/
    Select the lastest version (3.3.1-0) to download it. After that, just flash the .img file.