Decrease USB Mount Time

Search This thread

keat63

May 17, 2017
Guys.
I have a nexus 7 that i'm utilising in a car build.
It's running CM10.1 which I believe is based on 4.2.2, and Timurs custom Kernel.

I have a 175gb SSD dive, hooked up to a USB hub and OTG cable.
The SSD is recognised and mounts correctly on the Nexus.

I'm looking to speed up the mount process.
When I connect the SSD, the led activity light on the SSD will start to blink rapidly, any media on the drive is inaccessible until the drive activity has ceased.
This process takes around 30 seconds.

I've placed a number of .nomedia files inside the USBDISK folder amd SDCARD folder, but still mounting takes time.
Is there a way to speed up the mounting process.
Maybe moving the media folders inside a single folder, or some sort of file (like .nomedia) inside the folder structure to tell Android to not perform a file check.
Maybe a cache system.

The kernel is configured to have the drive in read only mode, so unless I manually add any files, then I have no need to scan for any file changes.
The drive could be in the car for months before I add any new media to it.

keat63

May 17, 2017
I guess no one else has experienced this, or I posted in the wrong forum, but i think i figured it out.
Just incase someone else has the same problem in the future, and in the vain hope that they stumble across this thread, I think it's only fair that I post my findings.

My SSD drive is formatted exFat for compatibilty between my PC, Tablet and S7 phone which is on Marshmallow.

I have 2 hard drives, I have a 2.5" SSD and a standard 2.5" Sata drive.
So something to experiment with.

Formatting the standard hard drive as NTFS and then copying a small number of my files on to it, i noticed that the mount time was instant, with hardly any drive activity.
All files are accessable.
It makes little sense, considering a standard mechanical drive is supposedly slower than SSD.
I then formatted it exFat, and copied roughly the same number of files, but now the mount time was about 5 seconds, with the drive light activity issue.

My SSD drive is taking 30-40 seconds to mount, which is annoying to say the least.

I reformatted my SSD as NTFS, copied my files back on to it, and the mount time is still almost instantaneous.

So it looks like whatever is causing the extended mount time is asscociated with exFat.

I've no idea why, so if anyone can explain, i'll be happy to learn.

Last edited: