FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[UNIVERSAL] ParrotMod - SPEED UP the 2012 Nexus 7! FULL FLASH STORAGE SPEED FIX!

831 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,214

By parrotgeek1, Senior Member on 24th January 2016, 06:40 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
31st January 2016, 08:27 PM |#21  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by adeelraj

can i flash this on
this 5.1.1 rom?
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2931064
Re: [ROM][F2FS/EXT4][AOSP][BSZAospLp v1.9.5][5.1.1_r30 LMY48Z][SuperSU|BusyBox][16/1/7]

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Yes! That's what I based the mod on! But follow my instructions to edit the zip from a few posts up
The Following User Says Thank You to parrotgeek1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift parrotgeek1 Ad-Free

31st January 2016, 11:50 PM |#22  
Thanks Meter: 126

More
Experience with this mod (This is from a factory reset just last week to get it to 5.1.1):

The app cache wasn't rebuilt on start and the initial boot didn't take "TAKE 5-10 MIN". It was just a normal boot. No app cache rebuild or anything. The homscreen was missing icons.

"Wait for device to spontaneously reboot after the lock screen appears" did not occur. Lockscreen is off so must not work in that case?

Initial use was horribly slow (same as before). Was about to type here that its still unusable when...

It seems as more use occurs, it gets faster. There may still be some hesitation, but its far faster then it was. Currently unknown if I will stick with this or move onto something else - all depends on how it goes.

Thanks for putting this out there. Hopefully it keeps the speed coming.
1st February 2016, 12:21 AM |#23  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsofmyst

Experience with this mod (This is from a factory reset just last week to get it to 5.1.1):

The app cache wasn't rebuilt on start and the initial boot didn't take "TAKE 5-10 MIN". It was just a normal boot. No app cache rebuild or anything. The homscreen was missing icons.

"Wait for device to spontaneously reboot after the lock screen appears" did not occur. Lockscreen is off so must not work in that case?

Initial use was horribly slow (same as before). Was about to type here that its still unusable when...

It seems as more use occurs, it gets faster. There may still be some hesitation, but its far faster then it was. Currently unknown if I will stick with this or move onto something else - all depends on how it goes.

Thanks for putting this out there. Hopefully it keeps the speed coming.

Something is wrong. The device should have rebooted 30 sec after it finished first boot. Do you have SuperSU?

Also in all of my testing I have flashed it IMMEDIATELY after a reset. So it would reboot while at the blue welcome screen
The Following User Says Thank You to parrotgeek1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift parrotgeek1 Ad-Free
1st February 2016, 02:49 AM |#24  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by parrotgeek1

Something is wrong. The device should have rebooted 30 sec after it finished first boot. Do you have SuperSU?

Also in all of my testing I have flashed it IMMEDIATELY after a reset. So it would reboot while at the blue welcome screen

Removed lastpmver.txt then rebooted with result: The script did finally reboot it 1-2 or more minutes later.

Looks like it was delayed from how slow the tablet is running. Initial os speed after further reboot is still unusably slow, improving after a few minutes and greatly for each downloaded app after first run.

Further reboots show initial os speed may be increasing. Though initial non-system app open speed can still be counted by 10s of seconds and Activity creation can be a bit slow as well (also initially). App resume speed is normal or close to and usage of app following resume is as well.

Before, the apps were [to me] constantly unusably slow - even android settings was super slow. So the mod has definitely made a great improvement.

Wiping cache via twrp result: A little to nothing.

(You've received two thanks.)
The Following User Says Thank You to sandsofmyst For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sandsofmyst Ad-Free
1st February 2016, 07:09 PM |#25  
Flag Senigallia
Thanks Meter: 54

More
Can you make a zip for marshmallow roms too?
1st February 2016, 07:19 PM |#26  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

Removed lastpmver.txt then rebooted with result: The script did finally reboot it 1-2 or more minutes later.

Looks like it was delayed from how slow the tablet is running. Initial os speed after further reboot is still unusably slow, improving after a few minutes and greatly for each downloaded app after first run.

Further reboots show initial os speed may be increasing. Though initial non-system app open speed can still be counted by 10s of seconds and Activity creation can be a bit slow as well (also initially). App resume speed is normal or close to and usage of app following resume is as well.

Before, the apps were [to me] constantly unusably slow - even android settings was super slow. So the mod has definitely made a great improvement.

Wiping cache via twrp result: A little to nothing.

(You've received two thanks.)

Please do a test! in terminal emulator as root do touch /sdcard/use4kblock
reboot and see if it has improved read speed (but also check if /sys/block/mmcblk0/queue/read_ahead_kb was actually set to 4)

It is possible that my script is failing to fstrim your device properly; the use of the discard mount option means that downloading apps COULD actually speed it up. Try downloading this and trim all https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....trimmer&hl=en

Also This mod is really meant for the tablets that are at the "irritatingly slow" stage, not the "write speeds fell off a cliff" stage. If you want to improve it slightly maybe set read_ahead_kb to 1024 and delete discard from mount options. I might add it as an aroma installer option
1st February 2016, 07:21 PM |#27  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinolillo

Can you make a zip for marshmallow roms too?

probably later once I do more optimizing
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to parrotgeek1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift parrotgeek1 Ad-Free
2nd February 2016, 06:10 AM |#28  

More
Quote:

Please do a test! in terminal emulator as root do touch /sdcard/use4kblock
reboot and see if it has improved read speed (but also check if /sys/block/mmcblk0/queue/read_ahead_kb was actually set to 4)

As-is with use4kblock created, read_ahead_kb continues to show 512 after reboot. Apparently hitting the else at the end.

Edit: Not precisely your desired idea here but showing why its failing, the following path works while /sdcard fails:
Code:
if [ -f "/system/su.d/use4kblock" ]; then
Interestingly, I had changed some code around and even with the file check, it had resulted in 2048 (although error value) being written to read_ahead_kb through the /sdcard file check path so it seems like it should work [for /sdcard] with some specific change.

Quote:

It is possible that my script is failing to fstrim your device properly; the use of the discard mount option means that downloading apps COULD actually speed it up. Try downloading this and trim all https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....trimmer&hl=en

Thanks, forgot about the fstrim app (Have nook hd+ with same emmc chip & not as safe: https://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/EMMC_...AG2GA_TRIM_bug), but it seems to not have made any noticeable difference (even after multiple reboots).

Quote:

Also This mod is really meant for the tablets that are at the "irritatingly slow" stage, not the "write speeds fell off a cliff" stage. If you want to improve it slightly maybe set read_ahead_kb to 1024 and delete discard from mount options. I might add it as an aroma installer option

Interestingly app first start performance seems to be much better after using the value 4 + removing discard + reboot. That might have done it

For now, staying with this and seeing what happens. Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to sandsofmyst For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sandsofmyst Ad-Free
2nd February 2016, 04:52 PM |#29  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

it had resulted in 2048 (although error value)

what does "error value" mean

I think that it is because /system/bin/sdcard (the fuse filesystem) is not yet running when su.d is running

I edited it also to make 4k default read ahead kb
2nd February 2016, 07:05 PM |#30  

More
Quote:

what does "error value" mean

The result of some error occurring that causes echo to somehow write 2048 to the file after it puked, or in other words, I expect trying to write another value then 4 wouldn't have changed the value 2048 which is therefore the result of error.

Quote:

I think that it is because /system/bin/sdcard (the fuse filesystem) is not yet running when su.d is running

+1 It has the best feeling of correctness
3rd February 2016, 10:56 PM |#31  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

Interestingly app first start performance seems to be much better after using the value 4

I did that in the new official mod version
I didn't disable discard though
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
f2fs, lag, nexus 7, rom, speed

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)