FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[UNIVERSAL] ParrotMod - SPEED UP the 2012 Nexus 7! FULL FLASH STORAGE SPEED FIX!

831 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,214

By parrotgeek1, Senior Member on 24th January 2016, 06:40 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
19th April 2016, 01:01 AM |#501  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephendt0

OK Cool, thanks. That makes sense. I feel like some of these mods could negatively affect battery life though. I'll give it a go.

Which ones do you think make battery worse?

I'm already thinking about changing rq_affinity.
And renicing hd-audio0 has no impact except when audio is playing.

Sent from my Moto G using XDA-Developers mobile app

19th April 2016, 01:18 AM |#502  
Quote:
Originally Posted by parrotgeek1

Which ones do you think make battery worse?

I'm already thinking about changing rq_affinity.
And renicing hd-audio0 has no impact except when audio is playing.

Yeah well those were on my mind, but I also didn't see why you had to modify Wi-Fi power or the way GPU scaling works. They seemed OK as it was, and were designed for a mixture of battery life and performance. The battery life of my Nexus 7 certainly isn't great after a few years, so it's something I keep an eye out for now.
19th April 2016, 01:25 AM |#503  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephendt0

Yeah well those were on my mind, but I also didn't see why you had to modify Wi-Fi power or the way GPU scaling works. They seemed OK as it was, and were designed for a mixture of battery life and performance. The battery life of my Nexus 7 certainly isn't great after a few years, so it's something I keep an eye out for now.

Renice hd-audio0 fixes the irritating audio "frame drops" when multitasking so I think it's worth it.

Re: wifi power: it is only changing MAXIMUM power not default, so only reduces battery at low signal. This made wifi speed in my room (at exact opposite end of house from router) go from 2 to 7mbps.

Same thing for GPU scaling, the kernel code only enables it if GPU has been at 90% load for 10 seconds, which is almost never during non gaming.

Thanks for responding though.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to parrotgeek1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift parrotgeek1 Ad-Free
19th April 2016, 03:37 AM |#504  
OP Senior Member

More
UPDATE;

I posted a new version which reverts rq_affinity to 1 (0 made audio worse)
but makes another VERY SLIGHT eMMC speed compromise to even out the battery effects of rq_affinity

echo 1 > rq_affinity # bouncing around between cores makes audio worse
echo 1 > nomerges # try slightly less hard to merge requests, less cpu load

cc @stephendt0
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to parrotgeek1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift parrotgeek1 Ad-Free
19th April 2016, 04:12 AM |#505  
Quote:

Renice hd-audio0 fixes the irritating audio "frame drops" when multitasking so I think it's worth it.

Re: wifi power: it is only changing MAXIMUM power not default, so only reduces battery at low signal. This made wifi speed in my room (at exact opposite end of house from router) go from 2 to 7mbps.

Same thing for GPU scaling, the kernel code only enables it if GPU has been at 90% load for 10 seconds, which is almost never during non gaming.

Thanks for responding though.

Gotcha. Sounds reasonable then. I'll give it a go. Thanks for your work and taking the time to explain the technicalities
19th April 2016, 01:38 PM |#506  
Flag Padova
Thanks Meter: 37

More
Quote:

UPDATE;
I posted a new version which reverts rq_affinity to 1 (0 made audio worse)
but makes another VERY SLIGHT eMMC speed compromise to even out the battery effects of rq_affinity
echo 1 > rq_affinity # bouncing around between cores makes audio worse
echo 1 > nomerges # try slightly less hard to merge requests, less cpu load
cc @stephendt0

Just a little suggestion: to allow people to understand which is the actual release, could you please add the date to the title, something like: "ParrotMod_Grouper_Universal2-2016-04-18.zip", "ParrotMod_Grouper_Universal-2016-04-19.zip" etc... and if there is more than a release a day, something like "ParrotMod_Grouper_Universal2-2016-04-18.zip" (initial), ParrotMod_Grouper_Universal2-2016-04-18[2].zip(2nd etc..., otherwise one cannot know what (s)he is using and if it is the latest...
Thanks,
Topoldo
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to topoldo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift topoldo Ad-Free
forlani101
19th April 2016, 01:45 PM |#507  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Is this suppose to reboot the tablet on the first boot up like the older version because I'm not seeing no reboot on the latest beta. not unless this has changed where it's not needed. Only thing I was unclear on.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA-Developers mobile app
19th April 2016, 01:48 PM |#508  
Thanks Meter: 1,079

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by topoldo

Just a little suggestion: to allow people to understand which is the actual release, could you please add the date to the title, something like: "ParrotMod_Grouper_Universal2-2016-04-18.zip", "ParrotMod_Grouper_Universal-2016-04-19.zip" etc... and if there is more than a release a day, something like "ParrotMod_Grouper_Universal2-2016-04-18.zip" (initial), ParrotMod_Grouper_Universal2-2016-04-18[2].zip(2nd etc..., otherwise one cannot know what (s)he is using and if it is the latest...
Thanks,
Topoldo

To be fair if you look inside the zip file, all the files have a creation date & time.
forlani101
19th April 2016, 01:56 PM |#509  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by adstraylight

To be fair if you look inside the zip file, all the files have a creation date & time.

A little more clarity on the main page would be a welcome addition regardless. Then I wouldn't have to post minute questions. Like for example my post above weather or not the tablet should reboot like the old version. More clarity goes along ways. But I do appreciate the work done here.

19th April 2016, 01:59 PM |#510  
Thanks Meter: 1,079

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by forlani101

A little more clarity on the main page would be a welcome addition regardless. Like for example my post above weather or not the tablet should reboot like the old version. More clarity goes along ways. But I do appreciate the work done here.

I've just spent the last 10 mins trying to find where, but the OP has said somewhere that the script no longer auto reboots as it is now unnecessary. Forgive me I wasn't trying to be one of those XDA - self appointed - police, I was trying to be helpful.
The Following User Says Thank You to adstraylight For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift adstraylight Ad-Free
19th April 2016, 02:03 PM |#511  
Flag Padova
Thanks Meter: 37

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by adstraylight

It is *exactly* what I do every time. Anyway I appreciated the huge effort made by parrotgeek1. Mine was, as I said just a little suggestion.
Topoldo
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to topoldo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift topoldo Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
f2fs, lag, nexus 7, rom, speed

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)