FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Battery Replacement - is it possible? Where to buy?

100 posts
Thanks Meter: 30
 
By chroust, Senior Member on 23rd February 2016, 09:29 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi guys,
my Nexus 9 started to randomly shutdown around 40-50% with some strange noises and screen artefacts. I know some people faced that as well. I've tried to go trough that google support bull*hit and finally when we agreed it's battery issue, they stopped answering - seriously.

So I've removed the back cover - it's pretty easy. The battery is 2 pieces, one is ok, the second is probably dead - very bloated. So I need a new battery and it will probably be ok. BUT the battery is impossible to buy

I've contacted our local HTC partner repair centre, but they told me, they no longer do repairs, they just send it to HTC, so they cannot say how much will the battery replacement cost

So finally the question - is there any way how to get a new battery for the Nexus 9? Swap is super easy and paying half a price of the tablet for battery replacement, which I can do in 3 minutes is just lame.

Anyone saw Nexus 9 battery as spare part? Anywhere? I've found a guy in Poland, but he's not replying to my emails.

Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to chroust For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift chroust Ad-Free
 
 
24th February 2016, 09:45 PM |#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 28
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chroust

Hi guys,
my Nexus 9 started to randomly shutdown around 40-50% with some strange noises and screen artefacts. I know some people faced that as well. I've tried to go trough that google support bull*hit and finally when we agreed it's battery issue, they stopped answering - seriously.

So I've removed the back cover - it's pretty easy. The battery is 2 pieces, one is ok, the second is probably dead - very bloated. So I need a new battery and it will probably be ok. BUT the battery is impossible to buy

I've contacted our local HTC partner repair centre, but they told me, they no longer do repairs, they just send it to HTC, so they cannot say how much will the battery replacement cost

So finally the question - is there any way how to get a new battery for the Nexus 9? Swap is super easy and paying half a price of the tablet for battery replacement, which I can do in 3 minutes is just lame.

Anyone saw Nexus 9 battery as spare part? Anywhere? I've found a guy in Poland, but he's not replying to my emails.

Thanks!

Don't waste your time putting a new battery in it. It's a hardware issue. My first N9 thr exact same issue after 4 months of use and ultimately had to be replaced. There's another forum here on XDA pertaining to the exact same issue. Under 50% screen locks up with a scrambled image and loud noise from the speakers. It's a bad motherboard and the only fix is a new motherboard or new Nexus 9. Trust me on this. You can replace the battery, but it won't help this issue. Sorry

---------- Post added at 08:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibsonSGJ

Don't waste your time putting a new battery in it. It's a hardware issue. My first N9 thr exact same issue after 4 months of use and ultimately had to be replaced. There's another forum here on XDA pertaining to the exact same issue. Under 50% screen locks up with a scrambled image and loud noise from the speakers. It's a bad motherboard and the only fix is a new motherboard or new Nexus 9. Trust me on this. You can replace the battery, but it won't help this issue. Sorry

Furthermore, both Google and HTC know of this issue. I swear they instruct their tech people to play dumb.
The Following User Says Thank You to GibsonSGJ For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift GibsonSGJ Ad-Free
24th February 2016, 10:21 PM |#3  
chroust's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Liberec
Thanks Meter: 30
 
More
Sadly that make sense. After I've send a few photos, when I was quick enough to take a photo of the display before shutdown, google support went silent!

These are not a good news, but I thank you for reply and sharing some light on it. I will consider buying a new tablet then.
11th June 2017, 11:49 AM |#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 108
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GibsonSGJ

Don't waste your time putting a new battery in it. It's a hardware issue. My first N9 thr exact same issue after 4 months of use and ultimately had to be replaced. There's another forum here on XDA pertaining to the exact same issue. Under 50% screen locks up with a scrambled image and loud noise from the speakers. It's a bad motherboard and the only fix is a new motherboard or new Nexus 9. Trust me on this. You can replace the battery, but it won't help this issue. Sorry :

Makes sense. My N9 has had minimal use (displaced by Pixel-C). Brought it out of hibernation a while back, and it kees crashing (even when on charge!)
25th July 2017, 02:47 PM |#5  
Junior Member
Flag Hengelo
Thanks Meter: 14
 
More
I've had this problem with crashing and loud noises several times. Previously I had a charging issue, under warranty the mainboard was replaced. A long while after that the problems with scrambled screen and loud noises started. I then disconnected the battery, and reconnected it, and the problem went away for a long time. But it has returned and even returning more often.
So I ordered a replacement battery via ebay (straight from China), and yesterday I finally found some time to replace it. First thing I noticed the tablet is more responsive, snappier.. It hasn't discharged enough to reproduce the problem, but I had trouble lately with updating apps when it wasn't on the powersupply, which convinced me it was a faulty battery. Now it's updating without charger no problem at all.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thijsniehof For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift thijsniehof Ad-Free
10th August 2017, 04:25 PM |#6  
Junior Member
Flag Hengelo
Thanks Meter: 14
 
More
2,5 weeks after replacing the battery, and the problem did not come back. I'm happy with it.. pretty easy fix..
The Following User Says Thank You to thijsniehof For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift thijsniehof Ad-Free
24th August 2017, 05:20 PM |#7  
Junior Member
Flag Sacramento
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
So the same problem has been happening to me also, got the N9 up to 7.1.1 and this started to happen a lot more. Seems to be when the battery is low (under 50% or 40%, somewhere around there) and usually when I'm looking at the Chive app, mostly again with animated GIF's they have. I'm not sure it's happened with games since I mostly game on my N6 since it has more RAM so it plays a bit better where the 2GB on the N9 is too laggy.

Any way, so this happens now too. So some say bad motherboard, others say bad battery. Has anyone gone through the trouble of the motherboard replacement? Or have actually had HTC replace the motherboard on warranty? If yes, has it made the problem go away? Has anyone else bought a battery off eBay (I can't find them new OEM anywhere and I hate the idea of a Chinese knockoff so close to my hands and face - ya know, fire) and had the problem go away?

I've replace all manners of parts from various phones so I know I can do it to the N9, which is just a large ass phone. I have to give up my N9 for some Samsung tablet (sorry 7" tablets are too small). I love having a 8"-10", pure vanilla Android tablet. I wish Google would make another one that was like the N9.
24th August 2017, 06:27 PM |#8  
madbat99's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag New Orleans
Thanks Meter: 1,188
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathAdder666

So the same problem has been happening to me also, got the N9 up to 7.1.1 and this started to happen a lot more. Seems to be when the battery is low (under 50% or 40%, somewhere around there) and usually when I'm looking at the Chive app, mostly again with animated GIF's they have. I'm not sure it's happened with games since I mostly game on my N6 since it has more RAM so it plays a bit better where the 2GB on the N9 is too laggy.

Any way, so this happens now too. So some say bad motherboard, others say bad battery. Has anyone gone through the trouble of the motherboard replacement? Or have actually had HTC replace the motherboard on warranty? If yes, has it made the problem go away? Has anyone else bought a battery off eBay (I can't find them new OEM anywhere and I hate the idea of a Chinese knockoff so close to my hands and face - ya know, fire) and had the problem go away?

I've replace all manners of parts from various phones so I know I can do it to the N9, which is just a large ass phone. I have to give up my N9 for some Samsung tablet (sorry 7" tablets are too small). I love having a 8"-10", pure vanilla Android tablet. I wish Google would make another one that was like the N9.

Some people have just unplugged and replugged the battery and had great success.
27th August 2017, 07:31 PM |#9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 81
 
More
I changened by battery last week. The problem is gone and I have 6h oof screentime back. Change is easy, would recommend everyone to do so.
28th August 2017, 09:18 PM |#10  
madbat99's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag New Orleans
Thanks Meter: 1,188
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupppo

I changened by battery last week. The problem is gone and I have 6h oof screentime back. Change is easy, would recommend everyone to do so.

I couldn't figure out how to unplug the cables.
29th August 2017, 07:23 AM |#11  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 81
 
More
You need to pull it vertically from the board. I used a guitar pick to make it a bit looser, then I pulled it of.
The Following User Says Thank You to jupppo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jupppo Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
battery, replacement

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes