FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE] How to install APK Files on your Nexus Player

6 posts
Thanks Meter: 2

By nelson.fig, Junior Member on 28th April 2015, 05:33 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Alright guys, hi, I'm Nelson. I'm new, learning, and young. lol

I'll try to help as much as possible, but first..
How to Install APK Files on your Nexus Player
[If anything breaks, I take no responsibility. You just voided your warranty, do this at your own risk. Yadayadayada.]

Quote:

I was stuck on trying to install APK files, as I had updated my Nexus Player to Android 5.1. The 'ES File Explorer' method did no longer work, so I struggled and struggled on how to install APKS, specifically, a web browser.

Follow these steps carefully child; you may get lost.

1. Download the SDK Platform tools. (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...8#post48915118 is a simplified version)
2. Download official Google ADB drivers, assuming you are using Windows. (should be here: http://developer.android.com/sdk/win-usb.html)
3. Go to Settings on your NP. Go to 'About Devices', then click on 'Build Number' repeatedly. Go home, then go back to Settings. Look for Developer Settings, then enable USB Debugging.
4. Connect your Nexus player into your computer using the MicroUSB port.
5. This is where it all depends. If your computer recognized it, perfect, skip to step 7. If it didn't, then don't worry, I got you.
6. Click on the Start button. Right-click on Computer, and select Manage. Click on 'Device Manager' on the left pane. You should see "Android" with an exclamation mark. Right-click on it, and select "Update Driver Information" (or something in the midst). Click on 'Browse', then select the folder you downloaded. (You should unzip the drivers, if they're zipped). It should say something like 'Samsung Composite Google Device' or something like that. Just click okay and continue.
7. A popup window should appear on your tv, click 'Always Trust' and 'Ok'.
8. FINALLY! Download your APK file. [use responsibly guys]
9. Put the APK file into the platform-tools folder.
10. Shift-right click on the window (you should be on platform-tools for it to work), and click 'Open Command Prompt Here'.
11. Type in 'adb devices' without the apostrophes.
12. Your device SHOULD show up, as a string of letters, or simply Nexus Player.
13. Now type in 'adb install APKNAME.apk' without the apostrophes, and APKNAME.apk being your APK file.
14. Follow steps on your TV.
15. ???
16. Profit.

This method does needs Chainfire's Sideload Launcher, as far as I have tested. I'm going to install: Google Chrome, Spotify, and reddit is fun. I'll report soon to see if those worked.

By the way, if the whole driver thing doesn't work, just google 'ASUS Nexus Player Google ADB Drivers', they should show up. I don't use OS X, and barely know Ubuntu so I can't help out with those. I'll be trying to help as much as possible; I'm still a student lol.

As for showing gratitude, just a simple click on the Thanks button and/or getting the post popular makes me feel like Woz.

EDIT: Spotify is rotated counterclockwise 90 degrees. [FIXED: GET THIS AMAZING APP: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ntation&hl=en]
EDIT: Chrome Beta is not working whatsoever. Same with regular Chrome.
EDIT: Firefox works perfectly.
EDIT: Found an application, converts all applications that are flipped and what not to landscape mode. (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...entation&hl=en)
EDIT: reddit is fun semiworked, only scrolling
Just install Air Share from the Play Store if this is too hard for you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nelson.fig For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift nelson.fig Ad-Free

29th April 2015, 02:10 PM |#2  
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson.fig

Alright guys, hi, I'm Nelson. I'm new, learning, and young. lol

I'll try to help as much as possible, but first..
How to Install APK Files on your Nexus Player
[If anything breaks, I take no responsibility. You just voided your warranty, do this at your own risk. Yadayadayada.]

Follow these steps carefully child; you may get lost.

1. Download the SDK Platform tools. (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...8#post48915118 is a simplified version)
2. Download official Google ADB drivers, assuming you are using Windows. (should be here: http://developer.android.com/sdk/win-usb.html)
3. Go to Settings on your NP. Go to 'About Devices', then click on 'Build Number' repeatedly. Go home, then go back to Settings. Look for Developer Settings, then enable USB Debugging.
4. Connect your Nexus player into your computer using the MicroUSB port.
5. This is where it all depends. If your computer recognized it, perfect, skip to step 7. If it didn't, then don't worry, I got you.
6. Click on the Start button. Right-click on Computer, and select Manage. Click on 'Device Manager' on the left pane. You should see "Android" with an exclamation mark. Right-click on it, and select "Update Driver Information" (or something in the midst). Click on 'Browse', then select the folder you downloaded. (You should unzip the drivers, if they're zipped). It should say something like 'Samsung Composite Google Device' or something like that. Just click okay and continue.
7. A popup window should appear on your tv, click 'Always Trust' and 'Ok'.
8. FINALLY! Download your APK file. [use responsibly guys]
9. Put the APK file into the platform-tools folder.
10. Shift-right click on the window (you should be on platform-tools for it to work), and click 'Open Command Prompt Here'.
11. Type in 'adb devices' without the apostrophes.
12. Your device SHOULD show up, as a string of letters, or simply Nexus Player.
13. Now type in 'adb install APKNAME.apk' without the apostrophes, and APKNAME.apk being your APK file.
14. Follow steps on your TV.
15. ???
16. Profit.

This method does needs Chainfire's Sideload Launcher, as far as I have tested. I'm going to install: Google Chrome, Spotify, and reddit is fun. I'll report soon to see if those worked.

By the way, if the whole driver thing doesn't work, just google 'ASUS Nexus Player Google ADB Drivers', they should show up. I don't use OS X, and barely know Ubuntu so I can't help out with those. I'll be trying to help as much as possible; I'm still a student lol.

As for showing gratitude, just a simple click on the Thanks button and/or getting the post popular makes me feel like Woz.

EDIT: Spotify is rotated counterclockwise 90 degrees. [FIXED: GET THIS AMAZING APP: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ntation&hl=en]
EDIT: Chrome Beta is not working whatsoever. Same with regular Chrome.
EDIT: Firefox works perfectly.
EDIT: Found an application, converts all applications that are flipped and what not to landscape mode. (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...entation&hl=en)
EDIT: reddit is fun semiworked, only scrolling
I'll report back as I test Hangouts, Kik, and Instagram

Instead of all this, Just install Air Share from play store to your TV and just push the files using PC option.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ackspruce.gloo
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brar.arsh For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift brar.arsh Ad-Free
30th April 2015, 10:21 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Or es file manager connected to dropbox(or your cloud app of choice). Then just install locally.

-you do need a mouse for this to work.
30th April 2015, 01:35 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by philhachey

Or es file manager connected to dropbox(or your cloud app of choice). Then just install locally.

Except you can't currently install ES File Manager onto the NP from the Play Store. You can install Air Share though.
30th April 2015, 02:36 PM |#5  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 98

More
ES File Explorer App Newly Updated 4/27/2015 Nexus TV Player/ADT-1 Version
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseUserNamesAreMakingMe

Except you can't currently install ES File Manager onto the NP from the Play Store. You can install Air Share though.

ES FILE EXPLORER ANDROID TV NEWLY RELEASED {Updated} Version 4/27/2015 !
"FIXED GOOGLE DRIVE CONNECTION"
{Side Loading Still Required}

Locating The Apps At Google+

All of my Leanback Launcher apps on Google + are located in one place under "ALL POST" go to "Nexus TV Player/ADT-1 LBLC Apps Bank" ..! You can scroll down through the apps and pick the ones you want to install on your device.

Download Here https://plus.google.com/communities/...artnerid=gplp0 !
30th April 2015, 03:00 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I got that APK already thanks, just pointing out that you can't directly install it on the NP from the Play store as you could a week ago.
You can however with Air-Share. This is a huge convince. I used Air-Share to install ES again rather than the mess of ADB or root kits etc...
30th April 2015, 03:55 PM |#7  
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseUserNamesAreMakingMe

I got that APK already thanks, just pointing out that you can't directly install it on the NP from the Play store as you could a week ago.
You can however with Air-Share. This is a huge convince. I used Air-Share to install ES again rather than the mess of ADB or root kits etc...

Exactly what I meant when I posted Air Share link.
3rd May 2015, 03:16 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by philhachey

As of the 5.1.1 image...ES isn't able to be installed via the webstore. (unfortunately I updated before looking to sideload)
3rd May 2015, 03:57 PM |#9  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebolt

As of the 5.1.1 image...ES isn't able to be installed via the webstore. (unfortunately I updated before looking to sideload)

Use the app I posted in 2nd post.
Also 5.1.1 update has nothing to do with ES, Google actually changed the compatibility for most of the apps and they are incompatible for me on 5.0.2 as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to brar.arsh For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift brar.arsh Ad-Free
4th May 2015, 09:10 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
i just push apks to my nexus player via airdroid over my home network. works a charm, but i am still on 5.0. is airdroid still a compatible app?
4th May 2015, 09:16 PM |#11  
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditybear

i just push apks to my nexus player via airdroid over my home network. works a charm, but i am still on 5.0. is airdroid still a compatible app?

No it is not. Only one that I could find is the above one, works like charm.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)