[GUIDE] Nexus Player - How to Unlock Bootloader and Root using USB cable

Search This thread

xDragonZ

Jan 28, 2011
d3HTXfm.png

Setup, Preparation and Prerequisites

• Open command prompt - Press Window Key + R, type in "cmd" (without the quotes), and hit enter.
  • USB Debugging - On your nexus player go to Settings > About > Tap on Build number 7 times. This will enable Developer options. Now go back to Settings > Developer options > Enable USB debugging
  • Enter bootloader mode - Hold the button on the bottom of the device when you plug in the power cable, or enable developer options and "adb reboot bootloader"

Once you are in fastboot mode, the light below nexus player will be blinking constantly. You can verify by using "fastboot devices"

ADB Installation
  1. Download the full Android SDK here (scroll to the bottom of the page>DOWNLOAD FOR OTHER PLATFORMS>SDK Tools Only) or get a slimmed version containing only the essential components here
  2. Extract the zip and place the android-sdk-windows folder on your desktop.
    **If you chose to download the slimmed sdk skip to step 5**
  3. Only if you downloaded the full sdk: Go into the android-sdk-windows folder and run SDK Manager.exe. Install the following packages (there are a total of 4 packages):
    - Tools > Android SDK Tools, Android SDK Platform-tools
    - Extras > Android Support Library, Google USB Driver
  4. Only if you downloaded the full sdk: Go back into the android-sdk-windows directory, and you should see a new folder named platform-tools. If you don't see this new folder, repeat the step above.
  5. To confirm that it is indeed working, open a command prompt window and enter the following commands:
    Code:
    cd Desktop/android-sdk-windows/platform-tools
    adb version
    If it displays "Android Debug Bridge version x.x.xx" it is working. If it is gives an error saying that adb is not a recognized command, it has not been successful. Carefully repeat the steps above if this is the case. Close the command prompt window when you are done.
  • Show File Extensions - Open a command prompt window and run "Control folders" (without the quotes). Go to the View tab and uncheck the "Hide extensions for known file types" option. This will help avoid confusion when renaming files.
  • Backup (Optional) - Unlocking the bootloader will completely wipe all data from the device. This includes apps, settings and even the contents of the internal storage (pictures, music, etc.). Copy all important files off the nexus player onto a PC or upload them to a cloud.

Driver Installation
  1. Go to Device Manager, find the Android device, and select Update Driver Software.
  2. Select Browse my computer for driver software
  3. Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
  4. Selecting show all devices
  5. Clicking have disk
  6. Finally selecting Desktop\android-sdk-windows\extras\google\usb_driver\android_winusb.inf as the driver

Alternative you can also download and install the Universal ADB Driver.

Downloads

Root:
Android 7.X:
- Coming Soon-

Android 6.X:
http://cord-cutters.wonderhowto.com/how-to/root-nexus-player-0160218/
http://androidflagship.com/16765-root-nexus-player-android-6-0-marshmallow

Android 5.X:
Download the SuperSU zip below. Extract the zip file and you will have (root.img) to platform-tools folder located on your desktop within the android-sdk-windows folder.
SuperSU (Forum Thread) or SuperSU (Direct link)

Information
Rooting this device is actually quite a simple and easy process. Before you begin, it is recommended that you at least try to understand what each part of the process will do. Although this guide will elongate each step in order to show all of the details, the method used can be broken up into 2 main steps: Unlocking the Bootloader and Rooting. Each new step relies on the previous step to have been completed, and a basic summary of each part is:

1. Unlocking Bootloader: Opens the door to the internal memory of the device to be written on to. This allows you to flash images onto the main partitions of the device in future.
  2. Rooting: You can gain root booting up root.img

1. Unlocking Bootloader
  • Turn the nexus player off. Then go into bootloader mode by holding the button on the bottom of the device when you plug in the power cable, or enable developer options and "adb reboot bootloader"
  • Plug nexus player into your PC, then open a command prompt window and type:
    Code:
    Code:
    fastboot devices
    This command will list the connected devices. If your nexus player serial number shows up you are good to go and may continue. If the nexus player is NOT listed this indicates that your drivers are not installed correctly. In order for you to continue you must fix your drivers so that your phone is listed under fastboot devices.
  • If the nexus player has been recognized by the command above, proceed to unlocking the bootloader with the following command:
    Remember that this step will wipe EVERYTHING off the phone
    OEM unlock twice
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock
  • After you have done, please proceed onto the next section of the guide.

2. Installing a Custom Recovery
http://xdaforums.com/nexus-player/orig-development/recovery-twrp-2-8-6-0-touch-recovery-t3114717
https://twrp.me/devices/asusnexusplayer.html

3. Rooting
Now that your nexus player has an unlocked bootloader, now this step is to gain root

Android 7.X
- coming soon -

Android 6.X
Require: TWRP, Custom boot.img and flashable supersu
(Refer to above link)

Android 5.0
Warning: This rooting guide is for Android 5.X only!
Boot (not flash) the root image which will give you root with the stock ROM
  • Confirm that you have downloaded the SuperSU zip from the downloads section above and you have extracted it and it is located in the platform-tools folder inside of the android-sdk-windows folder on your desktop.
  • Make sure the nexus player is in bootloader mode
  • Open a command prompt window and run the following commands:
Code:
Code:
fastboot boot root.img

This will install SuperSU on your device, once the command has completed continue.
Open SuperSU and update the binaries.

Keep in mind that the first boot may take longer than usual.

Congrats! Your nexus player now has an unlocked bootloader, and is rooted.

==================================================
How to flash factory image for Nexus Player?

1) Download image file for your nexus player - https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

2) Boot your Nexus device into fastboot mode.

3) On your computer, use 7zip to extract the .tgz file you downloaded from the Android Developer website. Use 7zip a second time to extract the .tar file you extracted from the .tgz. When you’re done, you should have a folder with several files in it.

4) Copy all of these files and paste them in the platform-tools folder in the Android SDK on your computer. If you followed the above tutorial, this should be under the C drive, then under Program Files (x86) on Windows. Linux users, you know where you put it.

5) If you have not already done so, connect your Nexus device to your computer. ADB and Fastboot commands should already work at this point if you’ve been following along.
There are two flash-all files. If you’re in Windows, you’ll want to double click the one that has the gear logo and says “Windows Batch File” on the right. If you’re on Linux, you’ll want to double click the flash-all.sh.
At this point a box should pop up and you should see the installation taking place. While this is going on, do not unplug your device for any reason. Let it do its thing.

6) Once the installation process as finished, your device will automatically reboot and you can now safely disconnect your device from your computer.

Credits:
- Chainfire (SuperSU and Rooting guide)
- Chromium (Easy to understand and detailed guide format)
- DevinWatson (USB driver guide)
- androidauthority (Flash firmware image guide)

Last edited:

arecad

Nov 23, 2012
I have a USB OTG cable but the adapter is female on the available USB side...I am not sure how to go about connecting my laptop/PC to the NP in order to perform ADB commands. Do I need a special cable or is there another way?

Jeremiah164

Jun 28, 2013
I have a USB OTG cable but the adapter is female on the available USB side...I am not sure how to go about connecting my laptop/PC to the NP in order to perform ADB commands. Do I need a special cable or is there another way?

Don't use the USB OTG cable, use a micro USB cable (same kind of cable that comes with android phones)

arecad

Nov 23, 2012
I cannot believe I missed that, how embarrassing. Thanks for the response, now I can follow this guide. I was thinking too hard about the OTG cable being a necessary piece of the puzzle.

midnightzak

Jul 30, 2010
Normal, IL
I am able to get to the bootloader with no problems, I've got ADB and Fastboot installed on my PC, as well as the drivers. However ADB doesn't pick up my NexusPlayer even though fastboot does. Thoughts?

See Attachments

EDIT: Nevermind, I was expecting different responses from adb/fastboot. When in the bootloader adb will not confirm a connection, only fastboot. Sorry for being a noob... ;)

Attachments

• adbfastboot.jpg
    adbfastboot.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 2,104
  • deviceman.jpg
    deviceman.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 2,082
Last edited:

midnightzak

Jul 30, 2010
Normal, IL
1. Unlocking Bootloader

[*] Turn the nexus player off. Then go into bootloader mode by holding the button on the bottom of the device when you plug in the power cable, or enable developer options and "adb reboot bootloader"

[*] Plug nexus player into your PC, then open a command prompt window and type:
Code:
Code:
[COLOR="red"]adb devices[/COLOR]
This command will list the connected devices. If your nexus player serial number shows up you are good to go and may continue. If the nexus player is NOT listed this indicates that your drivers are not installed correctly. In order for you to continue you must fix your drivers so that your phone is listed under adb devices.

I could be mistaken, but when you're in the bootloader you're going to use FASTBOOT and not ADB commands. So therefore the command should be "fastboot devices" instead of "adb devices"?

Reactions: efrant

goxboxlive

Oct 24, 2005
Oslo
I could be mistaken, but when you're in the bootloader you're going to use FASTBOOT and not ADB commands. So therefore the command should be "fastboot devices" instead of "adb devices"?

AFAIK ADB is for Android, and Fastboot is for bootloader.
But i have the oposite problem. Mine NP is getting recognized useing ADB when normaly booted, but when i am in fastboot mode, fastboot isent working. I get no output when run 'fastboot devivces'. I have both tried to set the NP in fastboot mode by using the hiod button and plug in power, and with adb rebbot bootloader.

Any one have a clue why adb works, but not fastboot?

Sleeepy2

Dec 9, 2009
Toronto
Double check to see if you have the latest version of fastboot. I have read that if you don't have the most up to date version the NP is not recognized.

efrant

Retired Senior Moderator & Developers Relations
Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20
AFAIK ADB is for Android, and Fastboot is for bootloader.
But i have the oposite problem. Mine NP is getting recognized useing ADB when normaly booted, but when i am in fastboot mode, fastboot isent working. I get no output when run 'fastboot devivces'. I have both tried to set the NP in fastboot mode by using the hiod button and plug in power, and with adb rebbot bootloader.

Any one have a clue why adb works, but not fastboot?
Have you re-installed the Google driver when you are booted in the bootloader? The driver needs to install twice: once when booted into Android, and once when booted into the bootloader

Dec 11, 2014
ADB fastboot for Mac Quick Question??

Hey guys does anyone have any idea on how this can be done on a Mac....I know I know. When I initially plug in my Nexus player with the micro usb, nothing happens on my mac or the Nexus so i am guessing that the drivers are not installed. How would i go about getting these for the Mac? I have already downloaded the slim version of the ADB and Fastboot files with the platform tools into a folder on my desktop named Andriod, so i have these already. And i know that if you hold the button down on the nexus and plug the power in it brings up the bootloader screen. I just need help with the commands in terminal and where to access the drivers from. Also, on the Nexus the Developer options have already been enabled and USB debugging has been turned on. If anyone can help, It would be much appricated! Just started to use terminal commands so yes i am a noob in this department :D:eek:. Thanks agin in advance.
-Jason

Sleeepy2

Dec 9, 2009
Toronto
Hey guys does anyone have any idea on how this can be done on a Mac....I know I know. When I initially plug in my Nexus player with the micro usb, nothing happens on my mac or the Nexus so i am guessing that the drivers are not installed. How would i go about getting these for the Mac? I have already downloaded the slim version of the ADB and Fastboot files with the platform tools into a folder on my desktop named Andriod, so i have these already. And i know that if you hold the button down on the nexus and plug the power in it brings up the bootloader screen. I just need help with the commands in terminal and where to access the drivers from. Also, on the Nexus the Developer options have already been enabled and USB debugging has been turned on. If anyone can help, It would be much appricated! Just started to use terminal commands so yes i am a noob in this department :D:eek:. Thanks agin in advance.
-Jason

http://developer.android.com/sdk/win-usb.html
"Note: If you're developing on Mac OS X or Linux, then you do not need to install a USB driver. To start developing with your device, read Using Hardware Devices."
http://developer.android.com/tools/device.html

Dec 11, 2014
http://developer.android.com/sdk/win-usb.html
"Note: If you're developing on Mac OS X or Linux, then you do not need to install a USB driver. To start developing with your device, read Using Hardware Devices."
http://developer.android.com/tools/device.html

Hey Sleepy2, I just did a brief read through and it states this:

Set up your system to detect your device.

If you're developing on Windows, you need to install a USB driver for adb. For an installation guide and links to OEM drivers, see the OEM USB Drivers document.
If you're developing on Mac OS X, it just works. Skip this step.
If that is the case, what would you suggest doing next? Thanks again for helping!

efrant

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20
Hey Sleepy2, I just did a brief read through and it states this:

Set up your system to detect your device.

If you're developing on Windows, you need to install a USB driver for adb. For an installation guide and links to OEM drivers, see the OEM USB Drivers document.
If you're developing on Mac OS X, it just works. Skip this step.
If that is the case, what would you suggest doing next? Thanks again for helping!
Open a terminal, navigate to the directory where you downloaded fastboot and go ahead with the commands shown in the first post. You will probably have to add a "./" in front of the commands given that you are on a mac, e.g.,

Code:
fastboot devices

becomes

Code:
./fastboot devices

Reactions: bennyz86

knobbs

Feb 19, 2015
I seem to be having the same problem as goxboxlive. I have tried installing the drivers about 100x tried on several computers and rebooted many a time. The only thing I can think of from the posts in here was to update fastboot but I dled the android studio and I would assume that has the latest version in there? Otherwise I couldn't find somewhere to download just fastboot from. Any help or recommendations or where I can dl the latest fastboot?

---------- Post added at 02:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 PM ----------

Follow up. Got it to work. In the guide it says after booting into fastboot to type "adb devices" in the console. You should instead type "fastboot devices" to see if you have the correct drivers and then go on from there. This worked for me, hopefully it will help someone else too.

midnightzak

Jul 30, 2010
Normal, IL
I seem to be having the same problem as goxboxlive. I have tried installing the drivers about 100x tried on several computers and rebooted many a time. The only thing I can think of from the posts in here was to update fastboot but I dled the android studio and I would assume that has the latest version in there? Otherwise I couldn't find somewhere to download just fastboot from. Any help or recommendations or where I can dl the latest fastboot?

---------- Post added at 02:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 PM ----------

Follow up. Got it to work. In the guide it says after booting into fastboot to type "adb devices" in the console. You should instead type "fastboot devices" to see if you have the correct drivers and then go on from there. This worked for me, hopefully it will help someone else too.

Yep, i posted this earlier in the thread, kinda surprised OP hasn't updated it.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=58172001&postcount=7

Reactions: xDragonZ

efrant

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20

In the guide it says after booting into fastboot to type "adb devices" in the console. You should instead type "fastboot devices" to see if you have the correct drivers and then go on from there. This worked for me, hopefully it will help someone else too.

To avoid further confusion, I've updated the post since the OP hadn't yet.

xDragonZ

Jan 28, 2011

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    d3HTXfm.png

Setup, Preparation and Prerequisites

• Open command prompt - Press Window Key + R, type in "cmd" (without the quotes), and hit enter.
    • USB Debugging - On your nexus player go to Settings > About > Tap on Build number 7 times. This will enable Developer options. Now go back to Settings > Developer options > Enable USB debugging
    • Enter bootloader mode - Hold the button on the bottom of the device when you plug in the power cable, or enable developer options and "adb reboot bootloader"

Once you are in fastboot mode, the light below nexus player will be blinking constantly. You can verify by using "fastboot devices"

ADB Installation
    1. Download the full Android SDK here (scroll to the bottom of the page>DOWNLOAD FOR OTHER PLATFORMS>SDK Tools Only) or get a slimmed version containing only the essential components here
    2. Extract the zip and place the android-sdk-windows folder on your desktop.
      **If you chose to download the slimmed sdk skip to step 5**
    3. Only if you downloaded the full sdk: Go into the android-sdk-windows folder and run SDK Manager.exe. Install the following packages (there are a total of 4 packages):
      - Tools > Android SDK Tools, Android SDK Platform-tools
      - Extras > Android Support Library, Google USB Driver
    4. Only if you downloaded the full sdk: Go back into the android-sdk-windows directory, and you should see a new folder named platform-tools. If you don't see this new folder, repeat the step above.
    5. To confirm that it is indeed working, open a command prompt window and enter the following commands:
      Code:
      adb version
      If it displays "Android Debug Bridge version x.x.xx" it is working. If it is gives an error saying that adb is not a recognized command, it has not been successful. Carefully repeat the steps above if this is the case. Close the command prompt window when you are done.
    • Show File Extensions - Open a command prompt window and run "Control folders" (without the quotes). Go to the View tab and uncheck the "Hide extensions for known file types" option. This will help avoid confusion when renaming files.
    • Backup (Optional) - Unlocking the bootloader will completely wipe all data from the device. This includes apps, settings and even the contents of the internal storage (pictures, music, etc.). Copy all important files off the nexus player onto a PC or upload them to a cloud.

Driver Installation
    1. Go to Device Manager, find the Android device, and select Update Driver Software.
    2. Select Browse my computer for driver software
    3. Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
    4. Selecting show all devices
    5. Clicking have disk
    6. Finally selecting Desktop\android-sdk-windows\extras\google\usb_driver\android_winusb.inf as the driver

Alternative you can also download and install the Universal ADB Driver.

Downloads

Root:
    Android 7.X:
    - Coming Soon-

Android 6.X:
    http://cord-cutters.wonderhowto.com/how-to/root-nexus-player-0160218/
    http://androidflagship.com/16765-root-nexus-player-android-6-0-marshmallow

Android 5.X:
    Download the SuperSU zip below. Extract the zip file and you will have (root.img) to platform-tools folder located on your desktop within the android-sdk-windows folder.
    SuperSU (Forum Thread) or SuperSU (Direct link)

Information
    Rooting this device is actually quite a simple and easy process. Before you begin, it is recommended that you at least try to understand what each part of the process will do. Although this guide will elongate each step in order to show all of the details, the method used can be broken up into 2 main steps: Unlocking the Bootloader and Rooting. Each new step relies on the previous step to have been completed, and a basic summary of each part is:

1. Unlocking Bootloader: Opens the door to the internal memory of the device to be written on to. This allows you to flash images onto the main partitions of the device in future.
    2. Rooting: You can gain root booting up root.img

1. Unlocking Bootloader
    • Turn the nexus player off. Then go into bootloader mode by holding the button on the bottom of the device when you plug in the power cable, or enable developer options and "adb reboot bootloader"
    • Plug nexus player into your PC, then open a command prompt window and type:
      Code:
      Code:
      fastboot devices
      This command will list the connected devices. If your nexus player serial number shows up you are good to go and may continue. If the nexus player is NOT listed this indicates that your drivers are not installed correctly. In order for you to continue you must fix your drivers so that your phone is listed under fastboot devices.
    • If the nexus player has been recognized by the command above, proceed to unlocking the bootloader with the following command:
      Remember that this step will wipe EVERYTHING off the phone
      OEM unlock twice
      Code:
      fastboot oem unlock
      Code:
      fastboot oem unlock
    • After you have done, please proceed onto the next section of the guide.

2. Installing a Custom Recovery
    http://xdaforums.com/nexus-player/orig-development/recovery-twrp-2-8-6-0-touch-recovery-t3114717
    https://twrp.me/devices/asusnexusplayer.html

3. Rooting
    Now that your nexus player has an unlocked bootloader, now this step is to gain root

Android 7.X
    - coming soon -

Android 6.X
    Require: TWRP, Custom boot.img and flashable supersu
    (Refer to above link)

Android 5.0
    Warning: This rooting guide is for Android 5.X only!
    Boot (not flash) the root image which will give you root with the stock ROM
    • Confirm that you have downloaded the SuperSU zip from the downloads section above and you have extracted it and it is located in the platform-tools folder inside of the android-sdk-windows folder on your desktop.
    • Make sure the nexus player is in bootloader mode
    • Open a command prompt window and run the following commands:
    Code:
    Code:
    fastboot boot root.img

This will install SuperSU on your device, once the command has completed continue.
    Open SuperSU and update the binaries.

Keep in mind that the first boot may take longer than usual.

Congrats! Your nexus player now has an unlocked bootloader, and is rooted.

How to flash factory image for Nexus Player?

1) Download image file for your nexus player - https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

2) Boot your Nexus device into fastboot mode.

3) On your computer, use 7zip to extract the .tgz file you downloaded from the Android Developer website. Use 7zip a second time to extract the .tar file you extracted from the .tgz. When you’re done, you should have a folder with several files in it.

4) Copy all of these files and paste them in the platform-tools folder in the Android SDK on your computer. If you followed the above tutorial, this should be under the C drive, then under Program Files (x86) on Windows. Linux users, you know where you put it.

5) If you have not already done so, connect your Nexus device to your computer. ADB and Fastboot commands should already work at this point if you’ve been following along.
    There are two flash-all files. If you’re in Windows, you’ll want to double click the one that has the gear logo and says “Windows Batch File” on the right. If you’re on Linux, you’ll want to double click the flash-all.sh.
    At this point a box should pop up and you should see the installation taking place. While this is going on, do not unplug your device for any reason. Let it do its thing.

6) Once the installation process as finished, your device will automatically reboot and you can now safely disconnect your device from your computer.

Credits:
    - Chainfire (SuperSU and Rooting guide)
    - Chromium (Easy to understand and detailed guide format)
    - DevinWatson (USB driver guide)
    - androidauthority (Flash firmware image guide)
    I just want to say that I managed to get root with Marshmallow, thanks to Chainfire. If you guys don't have any otg stuff, you can use CM recovery and sideload the SuperSU zip.

Here's the link for CM recovery (Cyanogen Recovery section) :

http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=fugu

The controls are the same as the bootloader mode (Short press for seeking, Long press for selecting)

I did proceed like this:

1. Flashed CM recovery (Boot could work as well)
    2. Flashed the fixed boot.img from Chainfire
    3. Booted into CM Recovery
    4. Sideloaded the SuperSU zip from Apply Update --> From ADB
    5. Reboot
    6. Enjoy

Hope it helps some people over here.
    I just want to say that I managed to get root with Marshmallow, thanks to Chainfire. If you guys don't have any otg stuff, you can use CM recovery and sideload the SuperSU zip.

Here's the link for CM recovery (Cyanogen Recovery section) :

http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=fugu

The controls are the same as the bootloader mode (Short press for seeking, Long press for selecting)

I did proceed like this:

1. Flashed CM recovery (Boot could work as well)
    2. Flashed the fixed boot.img from Chainfire
    3. Booted into CM Recovery
    4. Sideloaded the SuperSU zip from Apply Update --> From ADB
    5. Reboot
    6. Enjoy

Hope it helps some people over here.

EDIT: Might have just figured myself out. Oops. I was trying to flash the .zip instead of .img for like an hour. That's embarrassing. Thanks for the helpful post though.

Maybe I can at least contribute that Chainfire's EXPERIMENT: Root without modifying /system boot.img, along with SuperSU 2.56, appears to be working for fugu.
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=63197935&postcount=2

EDIT: Sorry for all the edits
    Where do I find the SuperSU zip file ?
    http://xdaforums.com/apps/supersu/wip-android-6-0-marshmellow-t3219344

At this time, I had flashed the custom boot image but I believe that systemless root may work now. That's yet to confirm.

Envoyé de mon Nexus 4 en utilisant Tapatalk

In the guide it says after booting into fastboot to type "adb devices" in the console. You should instead type "fastboot devices" to see if you have the correct drivers and then go on from there. This worked for me, hopefully it will help someone else too.

To avoid further confusion, I've updated the post since the OP hadn't yet.