FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Win Honor 9 Lite

How to set default launcher on marshmallow update 12/28/15

1,029 posts
Thanks Meter: 352
 
By Asadullah, Senior Member on 18th October 2015, 06:39 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
So your ready to change the default launcher but google isn't letting playing fair (shame shame google).
Don't worry I gotcha. Lets jump into it. There's two methods you can try and they both work about the same
it's all up to you, now is a good time to remind you that you take all responsibility for what your doing
to your Nexus player.

So the first method is the no root method (which I give 75% of the credit to vlasp for a post he made). Very
simple install the launcher that you would like to use but more importantly it has to have the ability to be
set as the default launcher. Some launchers don't have this ability it's very important. Next connect your
nexus to your computer and open up a command prompt and type this:

Code:
adb shell pm hide com.google.android.leanbacklauncher
If you want to undo it type this
Code:
adb shell pm unhide com.google.android.leanbacklauncher
I made a very poor quality video here showing how's it's done.

So the second method requires root.
First thing of course is to install the launcher you wanna use and update the leanback launcher (if you still
want to use it). Open up Es file explorer and mount everything as read/write. Now navigate to /system/priv-app
and delete the folder leanbacklauncher. Reboot and that's it.


HOW TO HAVE YOUR CAKE AND EAT IT TO
If you still want access to the leanback launcher and/or have settings in the app drawer download the settings
and/or leanback shortcut attached to this thread and install it. You'll now have the a settings and/or
leanback launcher shortcut in your app drawer.

Thanks to breakthecircuit and unvaluablespace for some great ideas.
If you have an icon that you think would look better than the ones included in these apps post them on here and
check them out. If they look good I'll switch them out

If your curious about the app-release it's just a standard launcher built from the sdk with some slight modifications.


<rant> marshmallow and android tv are terrible<rant>
Attached Files
File Type: apk app-release.apk - [Click for QR Code] (27.4 KB, 1360 views)
File Type: apk leanbackshortcut.apk - [Click for QR Code] (10.1 KB, 1156 views)
File Type: apk Settings.apk - [Click for QR Code] (15.1 KB, 2240 views)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Asadullah For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Asadullah Ad-Free
 
 
19th October 2015, 06:40 AM |#2  
Member
Thanks Meter: 6
 
More
This does work, so thank you for that. The big downside tho is that you have no access to the system settings app if you are using XBMC Launcher as I am in my case.

This is what I did:

Before deleting/renaming the apk for LeanbackLauncher, i pulled a copy of it to my laptop with ADB. I then installed XBMC launcher and configured it. I then renamed the leanbacklauncher.apk and rebooted the system. Kodi started just fine. I then sideloaded the copy of leanback launcher i pulled earlier, so that it shows up as a launcher option when i press the home button. Unfortunately it doesn't show up in the Android Apps section of Kodi, so we'll have to try something else.

What i'm doing now is restoring the Kodi backup I made from my FireTV.

In the favourites.xml i added this:

Code:
<favourite name="LeanbackLauncher" thumb="androidapp://sources/apps/com.google.android.leanbacklauncher.png">StartAndroidActivity(&quot;com.google.android.leanbacklauncher&quot;)</favourite>
I have no idea whether or not my favorite will work as it is still restoring, and it's a fairly large backup. I will edit this post when the restore finishes to update whether this is a viable solution. With any luck, we can keep Leanback as a backup so we can manage apps and settings and use kodi for everything else.

EDIT: So that didn't work. I will keep playing with it and update if I find something.
19th October 2015, 06:24 PM |#3  
Asadullah's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag casselberry
Thanks Meter: 352
 
More
You gave me a great idea. Thanks Here's an app called settings. it's 24kb installed and all it does is open system settings

mved app to first post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Asadullah For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Asadullah Ad-Free
19th October 2015, 09:40 PM |#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 28
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthcircuit

This does work, so thank you for that. The big downside tho is that you have no access to the system settings app if you are using XBMC Launcher as I am in my case.

This is what I did:

Before deleting/renaming the apk for LeanbackLauncher, i pulled a copy of it to my laptop with ADB. I then installed XBMC launcher and configured it. I then renamed the leanbacklauncher.apk and rebooted the system. Kodi started just fine. I then sideloaded the copy of leanback launcher i pulled earlier, so that it shows up as a launcher option when i press the home button. Unfortunately it doesn't show up in the Android Apps section of Kodi, so we'll have to try something else.

What i'm doing now is restoring the Kodi backup I made from my FireTV.

In the favourites.xml i added this:

Code:
<favourite name="LeanbackLauncher" thumb="androidapp://sources/apps/com.google.android.leanbacklauncher.png">StartAndroidActivity(&quot;com.google.android.leanbacklauncher&quot;)</favourite>
I have no idea whether or not my favorite will work as it is still restoring, and it's a fairly large backup. I will edit this post when the restore finishes to update whether this is a viable solution. With any luck, we can keep Leanback as a backup so we can manage apps and settings and use kodi for everything else.

EDIT: So that didn't work. I will keep playing with it and update if I find something.

Has anyone tried this but with a different launcher like halauncher? thats the one i use but i downgraded back to lollipop cuz i was having too much issues with marshmallow, so i cant try it personally. but it sounds like xbmc launcher is just not seeing it as an installed app. i wonder if halauncher would? personally i wouldnt mind keeping halauncher as my default home launcher and just getting into leanback launcher and settings when needed.
20th October 2015, 12:11 AM |#5  
Asadullah's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag casselberry
Thanks Meter: 352
 
More
I don't think leanback launch like settings app has a launcher or leanback launcher activity so if you wanted it to show up you would have to use an app like the settings app app I made that opens it up. Or something that makes shortcuts or a regular home screen.
20th October 2015, 05:59 AM |#6  
Member
Thanks Meter: 6
 
More
I fixed it!
So, the settings app is genius. Thanks a bunch for that. It will probably do all that I need it to, but I really like having the old launcher too just in case. So here's what I did:

-Decompiled leanbacklauncher.apk with apktool
-Edited the manifest so it launches the activity like a normal app
-recompiled/signed the apk
-sideloaded
-Profit

The apk i've attached makes the app show up in Kodi's "Android Apps" list and allows me to launch leanback back to the launcher.

The downside of this is that Leanback is no longer a launcher option, so it cannot be made a permanent launcher again without uninstalling my apk and reinstalling the official one.

I've included the original launcher as well in case anyone wants it.

Leanback Launcher in Kodi
Attached Files
File Type: apk LeanbackLauncherKodi.apk - [Click for QR Code] (5.86 MB, 574 views)
File Type: apk LeanbackLauncher.apk - [Click for QR Code] (5.86 MB, 458 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to darthcircuit For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift darthcircuit Ad-Free
20th October 2015, 05:35 PM |#7  
Member
Thanks Meter: 46
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthcircuit

So, the settings app is genius. Thanks a bunch for that. It will probably do all that I need it to, but I really like having the old launcher too just in case. So here's what I did:

Leanback Launcher in Kodi

What skin are you using? That looks awesome to me. Way better than the standard kodi theme (and several of the popular 3rd party ones I've tried).
20th October 2015, 05:43 PM |#8  
Member
Thanks Meter: 6
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakthestatic

What skin are you using? That looks awesome to me. Way better than the standard kodi theme (and several of the popular 3rd party ones I've tried).

It's called Eminence. I like it a lot.

It's in the default skin repo.

EDIT: Asadullah! I just noticed you updated your first post, so thanks for all the work you did That is marvelous!
The Following User Says Thank You to darthcircuit For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift darthcircuit Ad-Free
15th December 2015, 06:40 PM |#9  
Member
Flag Kolding
Thanks Meter: 11
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthcircuit

So, the settings app is genius. Thanks a bunch for that. It will probably do all that I need it to, but I really like having the old launcher too just in case. So here's what I did:

-Decompiled leanbacklauncher.apk with apktool
-Edited the manifest so it launches the activity like a normal app
-recompiled/signed the apk
-sideloaded
-Profit

The apk i've attached makes the app show up in Kodi's "Android Apps" list and allows me to launch leanback back to the launcher.

The downside of this is that Leanback is no longer a launcher option, so it cannot be made a permanent launcher again without uninstalling my apk and reinstalling the official one.

I've included the original launcher as well in case anyone wants it.

Hey, great work, but it does not work on my shield

Does it need to be rooted to function?

I accessed it on a USB drive through ES Explorer, but it could not install it unfortunately.

EDIT: I now see that this was for the Nexus Player, i did not notice, i google myself to this thread..
20th December 2015, 07:18 PM |#10  
Member
Thanks Meter: 6
 
More
I did have to root my nexus player for that to work, yes. I had to remove leanback from the system apps and install mine by itself. I'm sure something similar can be done with the shield tho.
28th December 2015, 02:29 PM |#11  
Asadullah's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag casselberry
Thanks Meter: 352
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthcircuit

I did have to root my nexus player for that to work, yes. I had to remove leanback from the system apps and install mine by itself. I'm sure something similar can be done with the shield tho.

new no root method added
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes