FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[REF] List of apps that work with Nexus Player

51 posts
Thanks Meter: 35

Post Reply Email Thread
I've been scouring through the apps that I want on my Nexus Player trying to find out which ones need to be sideloaded and which ones will/won't work if sideloaded. To save all of us some time, I thought that I'd just post my findings here. Please post anything beyond this list that you find and I'll update the list accordingly.

Can't find your sideloaded apps? See this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexu...-apps-t2948785

This list is being moved and maintained in a publicly viewable Google Docs Spreadsheet: http://goo.gl/ZGVqpp

Apps available on Play Store via web browser but not on the Nexus Player store app

Apps that must be sideloaded and work well

Apps verified NOT to work even when sideloaded
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to bsara For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bsara Ad-Free

20th November 2014, 11:31 PM |#2  
Flag Lake Charles LA
Thanks Meter: 45

More
Nice list and can confirm a few of those in the work or works only with mouse, or not working...like the amazon stuff
20th November 2014, 11:33 PM |#3  
Flag Ludowici
Thanks Meter: 41

More
Google Maps, Poweramp and Showbox worked for me. Also, Nova Launcher.
The Following User Says Thank You to eko3484 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift eko3484 Ad-Free
20th November 2014, 11:43 PM |#4  
Flag Lake Charles LA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by eko3484

Google Maps, Poweramp and Showbox worked for me. Also, Nova Launcher.

Side loading or threw the PC play store?
20th November 2014, 11:47 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 20

More
XBMC installs and works beautifully. I tried the non-plexpass Plex app. It installs and puts an icon on the home screen. Have to activate w/ a pin. After activation it says it found my server right away but nothing actually ever shows up. It will eventually let you in to the settings screen but thats about it. Im thinking this is being blocked by the guys up at Plex for non plex pass subscribers. Installed the NFL GamePass APK from my phone. It installs and runs but the sign on and game selection screen is stuck in portrait. Also requires a mouse to click on anything. Once the feed starts though it swtiches to landscape and plays fine (GP subscription required. DNS service required if inside the US). Maybe the tablet version will work better but i bet you still need a mouse to select anything. Thats all for now. Just got it today and the kid is taking over for a minion rush session.

PS all sideloaded
The Following User Says Thank You to Munkee915 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Munkee915 Ad-Free
21st November 2014, 12:11 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 57

More
Google search , material browser, MX player beta. All work side loaded.

Sent from my Nexus 5
21st November 2014, 12:30 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 26

More
Thanks to bunchie and chainfire I was able to sideload limelight root and so far it works great. Had to set it up once then reboot the NP and now streaming works great.
The Following User Says Thank You to ggrammer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ggrammer Ad-Free
21st November 2014, 12:30 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkee915

XBMC installs and works beautifully. I tried the non-plexpass Plex app. It installs and puts an icon on the home screen. Have to activate w/ a pin. After activation it says it found my server right away but nothing actually ever shows up. It will eventually let you in to the settings screen but thats about it. Im thinking this is being blocked by the guys up at Plex for non plex pass subscribers. Installed the NFL GamePass APK from my phone. It installs and runs but the sign on and game selection screen is stuck in portrait. Also requires a mouse to click on anything. Once the feed starts though it swtiches to landscape and plays fine (GP subscription required. DNS service required if inside the US). Maybe the tablet version will work better but i bet you still need a mouse to select anything. Thats all for now. Just got it today and the kid is taking over for a minion rush session.

PS all sideloaded

I was also having issues with the non-plexpass Plex app, but I was able to sideload the newest version of the Plex for android app using es file explorer, and now it is working great! It even has the new android TV interface layout!
The Following User Says Thank You to Wozman For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Wozman Ad-Free
21st November 2014, 12:43 AM |#9  
Flag Ludowici
Thanks Meter: 41

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by djwyman

Side loading or threw the PC play store?

I used ES file explorer to transfer them from my phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to eko3484 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift eko3484 Ad-Free
21st November 2014, 12:56 AM |#10  
Flag Lake Charles LA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by eko3484

I used ES file explorer to transfer them from my phone.

OK I was just asking for the interest of the topic so everyone knows how to get said apps
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djwyman For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift djwyman Ad-Free
21st November 2014, 12:56 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 20

More
OK. I THINK Limelight works. I was able to install it through web Play store, Icon shows up on the home screen. App launches and sees my PC but I am getting handshake failures when I try to connect. I tried to connect on my phone and got the same errors so I think this is more a config/PC issue than the app. But man, if I can get this to work this is going to be a whole new time waster for me. I can stream my PC games to ANY TV IN MY HOUSE!?!?!?! Oh man...

EDIT: Yup, fixed it. Steam update disabled the beta option required for this? I dunno but after enabling it it works great! Plays very nicely w/ the game pad. Full PC games streamed to my NP. I'm going back to the play store to order 2 more for the other rooms in my house.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
apps, list, nexus player

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)