FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Overscan Calibrator - How to Launch

305 posts
Thanks Meter: 50
 
By saeba, Senior Member on 1st January 2015, 02:10 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Here's something I stumbled on that I haven't seen mentioned... Found it very helpful.....

Problem: On my Samsung HDTV set, I found that many apps (particularly Chrome) were getting key parts of their screens cut off by overscan. But I couldn't find a way to set the overscan on my HDTV or in the Nexus Player.

Solution: While I was playing around with Nova Launcher on the Nexus Player, I found a way to launch something called "Overscan Calibrator" which fixed the issue!

Here's how I did it:

(1) Install Sideload Launcher (so you can launch Nova Launcher)
(2) Sideload Nova Launcher
(3) Use Sideload Launcher to launch Nova Launcher
(4) In Nova Launcher, long click on the screen to bring up the "Add to Homescreen" menu
(5) Shortcuts -> Activities
(6) Scroll down to find "Overscan Calibrator"
(7) Click on it to open the selection and click on the revealed item to add it to the home screen
(8) Now launch "Overscan Calibrator" and adjust the screen so that then entire screen is visible

Then... your entire Chrome screen will be visible !
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to saeba For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift saeba Ad-Free
 
 
2nd January 2015, 02:32 AM |#2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
More
How exactly do I long press on the home screen? I tried long pressing the select button on the remote but that didn't help
2nd January 2015, 03:48 AM |#3  
midnightzak's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Normal, IL
Thanks Meter: 107
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusNow

How exactly do I long press on the home screen? I tried long pressing the select button on the remote but that didn't help

You'll have to get an OTG cable and hook up a mouse. Just about any wired mouse works, and many wireless do too. I use the Logitech K400 keyboard/touch pad combo unit.
The Following User Says Thank You to midnightzak For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift midnightzak Ad-Free
2nd January 2015, 07:59 PM |#4  
Junior Member
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
On my Samsung TV, I just switched the picture size to best fit and the picture being cut off is longer an issue.
11th January 2015, 08:27 PM |#5  
sidepart's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag No man's land
Thanks Meter: 36
 
Donate to Me
More
This is fantastic. Wonder if we could extract the calibrator out somehow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfortrenox

On my Samsung TV, I just switched the picture size to best fit and the picture being cut off is longer an issue.

Older TVs don't have this option. I'm in the same boat with my Samsung. There's no best fit or just fit option. Sounds like they added it to my TV's updates model in 2007. It's been driving me nuts.
29th January 2015, 07:18 AM |#6  
Senior Member
Flag Las Vegas
Thanks Meter: 70
 
Donate to Me
More
How I did it!
I currently don't have an otg cable or a compatible bt mouse but I was able to get the same result.
I sideloaded nova launcher and airdroid and use the desktop client of airdroid to mirror it to the computer.

first I navigated in airdroid to login with the nexus remote. Maneuvering is kind of wonky but you should be able to login with username and password. I couldn't login using google+.
After logging in on the nexus player, I logged into airdroid on my desktop and Mirroring worked! but it looks bad lol but you can still tell what you are doing which is the important part.
Use the nexus remote to open sideload launcher and open nova launcher.
Then on the mirror you can right click with the PC mouse!
Then follow the rest of OP instructions starting at #4

Note: I am using a Panasonic Plasma tv. I have options on the remote for different "Aspects" but no options that auto adjust like "best fit".
There are picture options that I was able to tweak but not for overscan.
The Following User Says Thank You to xcheljd For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift xcheljd Ad-Free
1st February 2015, 06:51 AM |#7  
bennyz86's Avatar
Junior Member
Flag St. Cloud MN
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
If you go into Nova settings -> gestures and buttons -> home button -> shortcuts - activities -> scroll to overscan calibrator, then press once, then press and hold the center button on the remote you can launch the app. No mouse needed.
16th March 2015, 08:41 PM |#8  
Ambious's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Haifa
Thanks Meter: 483
 
Donate to Me
More
Alternatively, without needing to sideload anything, just type this into adb shell:
Code:
am start -n com.google.android.tungsten.overscan/.CalibratorActivity
The Following User Says Thank You to Ambious For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ambious Ad-Free
21st March 2015, 06:26 AM |#9  
AdamUpNorth's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 100
 
More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by saeba

Here's something I stumbled on that I haven't seen mentioned... Found it very helpful.....

Problem: On my Samsung HDTV set, I found that many apps (particularly Chrome) were getting key parts of their screens cut off by overscan. But I couldn't find a way to set the overscan on my HDTV or in the Nexus Player.

Solution: While I was playing around with Nova Launcher on the Nexus Player, I found a way to launch something called "Overscan Calibrator" which fixed the issue!

Here's how I did it:

(1) Install Sideload Launcher (so you can launch Nova Launcher)
(2) Sideload Nova Launcher
(3) Use Sideload Launcher to launch Nova Launcher
(4) In Nova Launcher, long click on the screen to bring up the "Add to Homescreen" menu
(5) Shortcuts -> Activities
(6) Scroll down to find "Overscan Calibrator"
(7) Click on it to open the selection and click on the revealed item to add it to the home screen
(8) Now launch "Overscan Calibrator" and adjust the screen so that then entire screen is visible

Then... your entire Chrome screen will be visible !

You Sir, just made my night.
29th March 2015, 01:51 PM |#10  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
I tried the screen calibration, but now it messes up some of the emulators I have on the Nexus Player, and I can't restore things to normal.
29th March 2015, 04:11 PM |#11  
Turge's Avatar
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Hamilton
Thanks Meter: 20,526
 
Donate to Me
More
Here's an apk I quickly slapped together to run the Overscan Calibrator.

Run it from Sideload Launcher.
Attached Files
File Type: apk Overscan_Launcher.apk - [Click for QR Code] (348.0 KB, 10324 views)
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Turge For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Turge Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes