FORUMS

How can I stop NP attempting to apply ota?

5,570 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,382

By ben_pyett, Senior Member on 31st October 2015, 03:08 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I keep finding that my NP has rebooted itself into custom recovery TWRP.

My suspicion is that it's automatically attempting to apply the last security update and finding the custom recovery and therefore failing. This ultimately means it's rarely available to cast to and always has to be rebooted or unplugged so that it's restarted prior to any intended use - which as you can imagine is extremely frustrating.

My device is rooted running latest 5.1.1 with custom recovery.

How can I manually disable this ota application? Anyone know of any build.prop amendments or can i side load servicely and do anything....

Cheers

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
1st November 2015, 11:33 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I second the aforementioned question. Want to know the exact same thing. Currently running LolliRock 2.1 but considering going stock, rooted, and Xposed route possibly under 5.0 to keep the 3 dot menu support but wanted to disable OTA.
16th November 2015, 02:21 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by phreshjive

I second the aforementioned question. Want to know the exact same thing. Currently running LolliRock 2.1 but considering going stock, rooted, and Xposed route possibly under 5.0 to keep the 3 dot menu support but wanted to disable OTA.

Download an app called autostarts and I forgot where it is the app but something to do with otaupdate you disable, Google what I explained xD sorry its been a while wince I did it
16th November 2015, 03:10 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Best way I found is, just after you setup your NP, go on google and change your gmail password. That way your NP won't have connection with Google Play... but this has cons as well, as you won't have access to update/install new apps from google play, so only do this after you have setup your NP with all the apps you need.
16th November 2015, 08:10 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag London, Colchester, Wivenhoe
Thanks Meter: 2,382

More
Apologies, found a solution in another NP thread and forgot to post the answer.

I'm still on v5.1.1

See below, although as you read
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabbyWC

Yes. Sideload the "My Android Tools" app which is available at https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oidtools&hl=en. After it's installed on your Nexus Player, open and configure it as shown here by using a mouse but you will need root access for this to work.

Service >> System >> Search >> Google Play Services >> Disable SystemUpdateService.

Service >> System >> Search >> Google Services Framework >> Disable SystemUpdateService.

Unfortunately this also stops your applications from being able to update.

When updated through play they said 'install pending' when I re enabled the above services they updated.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to ben_pyett For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ben_pyett Ad-Free
17th November 2015, 04:32 AM |#6  
Flag Brampton, ON
Thanks Meter: 179

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_pyett

Apologies, found a solution in another NP thread and forgot to post the answer.

I'm still on v5.1.1

Unfortunately this also stops your applications from being able to update.

When updated through play they said 'install pending' when I re enabled the above services they updated.

I haven't encountered any issues with updating apps on my Nexus Player with Android 6.0 or my Nexus 5 with Android 5.1 after disabling SystemUpdateService through the My Android Tools app. The method I described has worked perfectly on both of my devices.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)