FORUMS

How to stop marshmallow update?

12 posts
Thanks Meter: 0
 
By gmjh, Junior Member on 13th November 2015, 12:44 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Marshmallow was automatically installed a couple of weeks ago and has no discernible improvements whatsoever and a whole host of problems (not least that the casting function is now either flakey or non existent and appears and disappears randomly) Because of the casting and dlna problems I want to do a factory reset and revert to lollipop. How can I stop the np automatically 'upgrading" to marshmallow? I know I have the option to turn off app auto updates on Google play but I can't see how to stop it installing marshmallow. Thanks very much.
13th November 2015, 11:04 AM |#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 17
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmjh

Marshmallow was automatically installed a couple of weeks ago and has no discernible improvements whatsoever and a whole host of problems (not least that the casting function is now either flakey or non existent and appears and disappears randomly) Because of the casting and dlna problems I want to do a factory reset and revert to lollipop. How can I stop the np automatically 'upgrading" to marshmallow? I know I have the option to turn off app auto updates on Google play but I can't see how to stop it installing marshmallow. Thanks very much.

Google how to use auto starts app for ota updates
The Following User Says Thank You to OathYvne For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift OathYvne Ad-Free
13th November 2015, 11:17 AM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by OathYvne

Google how to use auto starts app for ota updates

Ok thanks. But I said I knew how to stop app auto updates. I'm interested in seeing if I can stop auto system updates. It's easy on a phone or tablet. I can't see how it's done on the np. Thanks.
13th November 2015, 11:38 AM |#4  
GabbyWC's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Brampton, ON
Thanks Meter: 179
 
More
Sideload the "My Android Tools" app which is available at https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oidtools&hl=en. After it's installed on your Nexus Player, open and configure it as shown here by using a mouse but you will need root access for this to work.

Service >> System >> Search >> Google Play Services >> Disable SystemUpdateService.

Service >> System >> Search >> Google Services Framework >> Disable SystemUpdateService.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GabbyWC For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift GabbyWC Ad-Free
13th November 2015, 12:02 PM |#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 17
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmjh

Ok thanks. But I said I knew how to stop app auto updates. I'm interested in seeing if I can stop auto system updates. It's easy on a phone or tablet. I can't see how it's done on the np. Thanks.

Yes I know, you can stop system updates aswell,. ^ basically does what gabby said
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OathYvne For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift OathYvne Ad-Free
13th November 2015, 03:39 PM |#6  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Ok. Will do. Thanks very much to both. It's a pity I can't do it without rooting it though (which I don't want do) So it looks like I have no choice but to have marshmallow installed which is crazy really.
16th November 2015, 01:39 PM |#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 17
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmjh

Ok. Will do. Thanks very much to both. It's a pity I can't do it without rooting it though (which I don't want do) So it looks like I have no choice but to have marshmallow installed which is crazy really.

Yes, marshmellow is very buggy for me. I have constant error messages where it says this has stopped working, and external storage issues. Are you having the same issues?
16th November 2015, 04:27 PM |#8  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
My issues are all casting related. Casting is non existent on Ethernet and buggy as hell on wireless. Dnla is also awful and frequently won't work under marshmallow. On my phone I deliberately don't update to a new os until all the problems are sorted. With the nexus player I'm given no choice.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes