Stuck On Google Screen

Search This thread

GerrardO

Jul 30, 2018
Three Nexus Players stuck at Google loading screen

I have had 3 different Nexus Players get stuck at the Google loading screen in the past week. Recovery mode from the bootloader doesn't work. Has anyone else seen this? Any work around?

taino211

Feb 16, 2007
Orlando
I’m getting the same thing starting this week. Factory reset has done nothing. I’m running stock everything, unrooted Oreo. Someone help!

erehwon6811

Oct 15, 2010
I was wondering if anyone else has any ideas on this issue. If I plug in my nexus player, it takes around a minute to get up to the white google logo. I have tried holding the bottom button as I plug the player in, but I am unable to get to get any result out of it. I never get to the point where the droid is on his back. I am just stuck on a loop with a white google logo on a black background.

MallCop

May 27, 2011
Chicago
I wonder what happened that Google broke all our players. Mine is doing the same thing - stuck at the black and white 'Google' screen. Has anyone been able to recover and reboot?

superlou23

Jan 8, 2012
Has anyone been able to recover and reboot?
A good number of people have been reporting that they were able to flash back (either to stock or other options), but there haven't been a lot of details on if they were already unlocked. I haven't been able to get fastboot or ADB to identify my Nexus Player from Linux, and I wasn't unlocked and hadn't enabled USB debugging before this happened.

erehwon6811

Oct 15, 2010
I left my player unlocked and I can't remember if I enabled usb debugging. My problem is I can't even get into the recovery. Holding the bottom button down has yielded me nothing.

PJnetv5

Aug 3, 2018
I left my player unlocked and I can't remember if I enabled usb debugging. My problem is I can't even get into the recovery. Holding the bottom button down has yielded me nothing.

Getting to the recovery (android on his back ) screen yields NOTHING. I was in the same loop and just had to be patient. Hold the button, wait until the GOOGLE screen goes away, then it will come back and eventually for me, I got to the screen with the android on his back (took like 5 minutes). Problem is that when I did a factory reset, I am still have the same problem. I did not think Google was updating these anymore. I have 6 of these and 2 are bricks now. Unplugged the rest until I can tell what is going on.

erehwon6811

Oct 15, 2010
Best Buy has a offer where you can get a $30 coupon off of a nvidia shield for recycling a streaming media player. I'm tempted to see if they'd take the player in that condition. I hesitate since I haven't been able to clear my data from it. I just wonder if this a permanent brick.

jsgraphicart

Nov 25, 2011
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Mine just randomly restarted as I was navigating the menu and now I'm stuck on the boot animation as well. I never rooted the thing. I guess I'll start going through the recovery options. Hopefully it didn't die on me.

bigworm50

Mar 31, 2011
I was in the same boat...last week got the corrupt data message so I factory reset...seemed to work fine for a couple of days and then got stuck on the Google screen...factory reset didn't help this time..

I installed TWRP and loaded lineage 15...looks like I am back in business...

brymaster5000

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 9, 2012
New Hampshire
I just had the Google black screen as well. I did the following, as I was running into the same errors as everyone else here stating that the reset hadn't worked.
I started by using the button into the recovery and reset - didn't work.
I then went into fastboot, and tried manually flashing the latest image from google and didn't work.
I typed fastboot oem unlock (forgot it wasn't unlocked).
I then sent the flash all script and everything went great. Now working.

Hopefully that helps others.

Well today, it rebooted into the boot splash again. I guess this thing is cooked...

Last edited:

jessehclark

Jan 11, 2011
Orlando, Florida
Man we are all experiencing a very similar thing. This is too strange to be coincidence. I turned on my TV, saw the Nexus Player interface, then when I tried to interact the screen went black. I restarted the nexus player, and it went into the stuck on Google loop. It has been rooted / lineage rom in the past, but i have been running stock Android factory images on it for over a year now. I enabled debugging, so I connected it to my pc and checked that it was unlocked.... heres where it gets weird....

The unified android toolkit says it is locked, but when it tries to unlock it, it says its already unlocked. So i ran fastboot oem unlock manually and it says already unlocked, as does the bootloader screen. OK. Flash factory imaging using flash-all.bat, everything goes fine, then it sticks on Google screen again. I am going to try an older factory image then im going to try lineage brb...

jessehclark

Jan 11, 2011
Orlando, Florida
just had the same result with 7.1.2 and 7.1.1 and 7.0.0 factory images.

flashed twrp, booted into recovery, and flashed latest lineage.

stuck on lineage logo for 10 minutes now....

seems like google bricked out Nexus Players. I am pissed.

TechieInAK

Oct 14, 2012
Palmer
www.talltechtales.com
Man we are all experiencing a very similar thing. This is too strange to be coincidence. I turned on my TV, saw the Nexus Player interface, then when I tried to interact the screen went black. I restarted the nexus player, and it went into the stuck on Google loop. It has been rooted / lineage rom in the past, but i have been running stock Android factory images on it for over a year now. I enabled debugging, so I connected it to my pc and checked that it was unlocked.... heres where it gets weird....

The unified android toolkit says it is locked, but when it tries to unlock it, it says its already unlocked. So i ran fastboot oem unlock manually and it says already unlocked, as does the bootloader screen. OK. Flash factory imaging using flash-all.bat, everything goes fine, then it sticks on Google screen again. I am going to try an older factory image then im going to try lineage brb...

That's pretty much exactly what happened to me. I was navigating around the menu, got the black screen and when I restarted it, I got stuck on the Google screen. It's the only Android device I have that I never rooted so it's completely stock. To say that this is frustrating is an understatement. Although it's old, it gets used heavily by the kids.

Regulus49001

Aug 29, 2011
I keep having a similar issue but I've been able to flash back to 7.0. Nexus auto updates and within a week I'm back in the same boat having to reflash...

Ad1982

Jan 2, 2011
Yes, something seems to be up, mine died earlier today, too many people to just be coincidence. I was casting to it and it just rebooted and is stuck on the google startup animation. Stock, never unlocked or rooted, been rock solid up until now. I use it as a DVR so I figured maybe my external hard drive had crapped out and was causing a hangup since the light isn't on anymore, but same symptoms when unplugging it and trying to reboot.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I also reported this to Asus support. They wanted me to send my two units back so they could reimage them (they are stock and locked). I told the rep I was concerned that they would fix it, just to end up in this same position in a week or two since it appears that an update would have caused this issue in the first place. My ticket was escalated to engineering support and I was told it would be a couple of days for them to investigate and contact me. Will post results from that discussion when I get it.
    I had the same issues and had to use Nexus root tool to try and fix it. Never knew how to do this until now and that tool was a life saver.
    I think one of these 2 Google play store updates maybe the problem
    1)Abdroid TV Home= Version- 1.5.4-100-4935149f; Update Aug. 8, 2018
    2)Android System Webview= Version 68.0.3440.91; Updated Aug. 6, 2018
    And maybe this one as well, but this one is a big maybe
    3)Android TV Core Services= Version 1.4.5-100-4860530f; Updated Jun. 25,2018

I̶ ̶h̶a̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶n̶e̶x̶u̶s̶ ̶r̶o̶o̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶l̶ ̶3̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶s̶;̶ ̶ ̶
    [̶B̶]̶[̶U̶]̶1̶s̶t̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶[̶/̶U̶]̶[̶/̶B̶]̶ ̶I̶ ̶j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶l̶e̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶n̶e̶x̶u̶s̶ ̶d̶o̶ ̶i̶t̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶h̶o̶p̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶ ̶c̶l̶e̶a̶n̶ ̶i̶n̶s̶t̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶i̶x̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶b̶l̶e̶m̶ ̶(̶2̶ ̶d̶a̶y̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶b̶o̶o̶t̶l̶o̶o̶p̶)̶,̶ ̶
    [̶B̶]̶[̶U̶]̶2̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶[̶/̶U̶]̶[̶/̶B̶]̶ ̶I̶ ̶s̶t̶o̶p̶p̶e̶d̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶a̶u̶t̶o̶ ̶u̶p̶d̶a̶t̶e̶s̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶G̶o̶o̶g̶l̶e̶ ̶P̶l̶a̶y̶ ̶A̶p̶p̶ ̶S̶t̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶(̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶s̶t̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶r̶u̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶O̶r̶e̶o̶)̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶o̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶i̶n̶s̶t̶a̶l̶l̶e̶d̶ ̶N̶O̶N̶-̶G̶o̶o̶g̶l̶e̶ ̶L̶L̶C̶ ̶r̶e̶l̶a̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶u̶p̶d̶a̶t̶e̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶o̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶u̶p̶d̶a̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶a̶p̶p̶s̶.̶ ̶T̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶e̶d̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶e̶ ̶u̶n̶t̶i̶l̶ ̶I̶ ̶d̶e̶c̶i̶d̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶b̶r̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶s̶t̶a̶r̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶u̶p̶d̶a̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶G̶o̶o̶g̶l̶e̶ ̶L̶L̶C̶ ̶r̶e̶l̶a̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶u̶p̶d̶a̶t̶e̶s̶ ̶1̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶2̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶,̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶c̶r̶a̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶o̶o̶t̶l̶o̶o̶p̶ ̶a̶f̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶I̶ ̶u̶p̶d̶a̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶2̶ ̶G̶o̶o̶g̶l̶e̶ ̶L̶L̶C̶ ̶(̶u̶p̶d̶a̶t̶e̶s̶ ̶1̶ ̶&̶ ̶2̶ ̶l̶i̶s̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶v̶e̶)̶.̶ ̶T̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶b̶o̶o̶t̶l̶o̶o̶p̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶d̶a̶y̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶r̶e̶b̶o̶o̶t̶ ̶1̶ ̶f̶a̶i̶l̶e̶d̶ ̶
    N̶o̶w̶ ̶I̶'̶m̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶[̶B̶]̶[̶U̶]̶3̶r̶d̶ ̶r̶e̶i̶n̶s̶t̶a̶l̶l̶[̶/̶U̶]̶[̶/̶B̶]̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶s̶e̶e̶m̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶d̶o̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶k̶,̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶ ̶I̶ ̶s̶t̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶p̶u̶t̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶n̶o̶ ̶a̶u̶t̶o̶ ̶u̶p̶d̶a̶t̶e̶s̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶G̶o̶o̶g̶l̶e̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶y̶ ̶s̶t̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶o̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶u̶p̶d̶a̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶G̶o̶o̶g̶l̶e̶ ̶L̶L̶C̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶w̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶u̶p̶d̶a̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶b̶e̶f̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶J̶u̶n̶e̶ ̶2̶5̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶l̶o̶o̶k̶e̶d̶ ̶n̶o̶n̶-̶e̶s̶s̶e̶n̶t̶i̶a̶l̶.̶ ̶ ̶T̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶l̶e̶f̶t̶ ̶m̶e̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶3̶ ̶a̶p̶p̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶v̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶s̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶I̶'̶m̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶d̶a̶y̶ ̶2̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶n̶o̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶b̶l̶e̶m̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶b̶o̶o̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶a̶ ̶b̶u̶n̶c̶h̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶s̶e̶e̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶s̶t̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶r̶e̶s̶t̶a̶r̶t̶.̶
    (Will let you know in a few days how its going)
    Failed
    Hey . i recently tried Lollirock
    which i didnt like so wanted to go back to stock

I tried following https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

seemed that it went fine, how ever it left me with a Google Screen and it wont boot

then i tried this ,
    https://support.google.com/androidtv.../6121450?hl=en

which also went fine and did a factory reset ,

but still only the Google Screen,

any ideas on what to do next
    Just out of curiosity, how do you use it as a dvr?

I use it for OTA (Over-The-Air) recordings. AverMedia USB Tuner with an antenna plugged into it that plugs into a usb hub (since the Nexus Player only has Micro USB). The Live Channels app detects it as a TV tuner to pull in the program guide data for watching live TV. But to use the DVR part you have to plug a flash drive or hard drive in that's at least 64GB into that hub. There's support for another USB tuner, I believe Hauppauge and some of the HDHomerun Network tuners. It works great (or I should say "did" work great...since I'm stuck on boot haha).
    Seems to be a core services or server side update that's causing it. Nothing we can do to block that. Mine is 100% bricked. No boot, bootloader or recovery. Sucks...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Nothing can block that update? Did you even read my posts?
    It's too bad that you didn't prevent their demise.