[DIY] Rubberized soft touch battery door

Search This thread

d_phekt

Oct 23, 2006
Minneapolis, Minnesota
I tried this and it looked great for about 2 days. It started to peel around the edges as everyone else stated. I am going to try and sand my cover since I have an extra and see if I can maybe get it to stick better. Love the look and feel of it after its all done tho. Will report back with results after sanding and reapplying plastidip.

megazac1

Sep 3, 2010
So I ended up going with the "brushed metal" look by sanding down the battery cover. I've been living with it for a few weeks and have really liked it. The only thing that has bothered me about it is that the cover is actually recessed a little bit from the edge of the phone (understandably because I did have to sand quite a bit). So I decided to try the plasti-dip again to see if 1) it will stick better to a sanded surface and 2) if the edges won't catch and peel because of the recession on the sides. Before when I sprayed right on the original finish, the edge of the cover was actually raised slightly from the phone, causing it to have more exposure. Now it's just a little recessed from being flush so nothing can catch on the edge to start peeling the plasti-dip off (i.e. in and out of your pocket all day long). I also let it dry for a lot longer than I did the first time (at least 12 hours) before handling it much.

Hopefully this will hold up as I am liking the grip and finish a lot! If it doesn't I think I'm going to end up spray painting it or clear coating to try and lessen the recession of the cover from the edge.

killj0y

Jul 2, 2011
Ok this will probably work but you need to sand it down to give the dip something to grab onto. Also an adhesion promoter would probably help a lot, maybe even a primer/adhesion promotor combo.

mc|stue

Nov 24, 2011
Itzehoe
i don't had car polish... so i tried it instead with disc scratch repair gel.
and for me it works! looks beautifull without the Samsung brand

sry for my bad english :)

Last edited:

tanner.jon

Dec 20, 2010
Galaxy Nexus?

Has anybody attempted this with the Galaxy Nexus? It has a textured back but is still quite slippery.

Maybe the textured back would allow it to adhere better. The cover is just on the back (not full wrap around like the Nexus S), so I'd be interested to see how this works.

infernox51

Jul 24, 2010
Downingtown, PA
Has anybody attempted this with the Galaxy Nexus? It has a textured back but is still quite slippery.

Maybe the textured back would allow it to adhere better. The cover is just on the back (not full wrap around like the Nexus S), so I'd be interested to see how this works.

I'm probably going to give this a go in the next week or so. Will let you know how it turns out.

Shark_On_Land

Sep 17, 2011
San Jose, Cali
Thanks for sharing and giving ideas. And thanks alot for taking such great pics.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using XDA App. Developer of brickROM, and OP of XDA Thread of The Year 2011.

sidearmG

Dec 18, 2011
Anyone try this on a Gnex yet? I'm very curious about how it will or won't peel with the texture on the battery cover.

Annnnd following

Last edited:

thejaredhuang

Jan 14, 2007
Did this on my Vibrant cover.

1st try, sanded down the gloss but none of the paint, plasti Dipped just the outside, edges came up pretty much immediately.

2nd try, sanded the crap out of the edges and lightly on the inside, 2 coats inside focusing mainly on the edges, 3-4 coats outside focusing mainly on the edges. So far its held up pretty well over the last 2 days including one trip tumbling in a backpack.

I don't think it matters how many coats you put on as long as you prep and sand.

csdibiase@gmail.com

Feb 24, 2009
Has anyone tried applying a coat of primer to the cover before spraying on the plasti dip? I'm thinking of giving this a go, but figured I'd ask first before trying to track down plasti dip primer. :)

ScratchC

May 3, 2011
know this thread is old but this is good info..
plasti dip when cured properly does not peel easily at all

Last edited:

Sean35

May 29, 2009
Just popping in, don't mind the bump. I bought a Nexus S 4G to screw around with on FreedomPop (very little luck getting it usable after 2 days, but I think I just now found the right combo of ROM/Kernel/mods to make it run smoothly), and decided to do this this morning out of boredom. I figured I was the first person to get the idea, then Googled "plastidip battery cover" and saw tons of links for this, seemingly only done on the Nexus S. The phone is nice for its age, but the battery cover is definitely too smooth for secure use.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I love my Nexus S. Yes, the build quality is plastic, yet anything but cheap. I've seen a lot of compliments on the slick back cover (battery door). However, it's not to my taste. I find it to be overly reflective, a fingerprint magnet, and slippery to the point where I would drop my phone if it were not for the reverse chin.

Solution: DIY Soft touch battery door (rubberized back cover)
    I simply applied four thin layers of spray on black PlastiDip. As in the instructions, make sure to shake the can thoroughly for a full minute and keep the can of PlastiDip a full 12-16 inches from the back cover of the phone. Wait a full 30 minutes between coats. Make sure to spray all the way around the edge of the battery door into the back of the cover. If you do not coat the edge your coating will eventually begin to peel at the edge. The easiest method is probably to mask off the contacts for the NFC antenna and spray the entire cover, inside and out. That way there is no rubber seam to peel at the edge.

Here are the results. I think the images phone2.jpg and phone3.jpg most accurately show the results. The closeups tend to make the cover look more textured than it actually appears.

PlastiDip is easily peeled off if you start at an edge, but difficult to peel off unintentionally. If I ever get bored with the finish or want to sell the phone I can remove the rubber within seconds.
    But what about other cases or the front of the phone? You can't fit a regular cases now or any sort of holster. How is it in the pocket?

Even with four thin coats, it doesn't add enough bulk to prevent another case from fitting on the phone. For the screen, I use a Zagg for now until something better comes out. As for the feel in the pocket it is a little tacky. It doesn't slide in and out of the pocket as smoothly as I'd like, but in my opinion it's a necessary trade off. I still prefer the rubberized back.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk
    But what happens if you put a holster/case on? Won't it degrade the rubber?
    Just make sure u hold can 12"-16" from cover I was too close on my first coat so I sprayed too much on there. But it looks fine

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA App

Many thin layers works best. Also, you have to make sure the rubber on the sides is as thick as the back, and spray it all the way around the lip of the battery door. If you don't coat around the edge into the inside of the battery door your rubber will eventually begin to peel at the edge.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk
    Thanks a lot bro.... I peeled off the the first try it wasnt bad but i got the hang of it now im trying to be perfect:p

No problem man. That's the best part about this stuff...it peels right off and you have your original battery cover. I actually had to reapply mine once because it started peeling at the edges. I covered the entire thing inside and out except a small cutout for the contacts for the NFC antenna. It doesn't peel at all that way.

Make sure you never use any solvent to get it off, just peel it. The solvent will discolor the inside of your battery door, damage the NFC antenna, and take off your oleophobic screen coating. I learned that the hard way. Fortunately I was already going to swap that unit out due to a hardware defect.