FORUMS

[APP] Linux Tool for Bricked Nexus S after firmware update

5,224 posts
Thanks Meter: 9,893

By AdamOutler, Retired Senior Recognized Developer on 17th December 2011, 06:40 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hey guys.. This tool will recover your bricked Nexus S after a bad firmware update. If your phone is showing anything on-screen, this tool is not for you. Don't forget to hit the donate button .. hey, it's Christmas and my kid could use some extra toys. Note: 1/2 of any donations received from the UnBrickable are split with Rebellos for firmware development.

Introduction
Last night I received a PM that Nexus S devices were getting bricked after applying a T-Mobile update. I responded by creating Revision 37 of the UnBrickable Resurrector. Rebellos and I have developed a software solution to get bootloaders back on what would otherwise be a Hard Bricked (or lucky bricked) Nexus S.

You Will Need
You will need some software on your computer to get started. Here's what you need
Software Based Resurrection
Now that we have all the prerequisites taken care of, let's resurrect your device.
  1. In Ubuntu, right-click the UnBrickableResurrectorR38.jar, click properties>Permissions>"Allow executing file as program"
  2. Plug in your Nexus S
  3. Right-click the resurrector, open with Java, and observe the following image
  4. Select "S5PC110 (Nexus S) from the drop-down box.
  5. Click the Download Mode button. The resurrector will ask for a password to access the Linux device.
  6. Enter your password, then hold the proper key combination on your device to access Fastboot or Download Mode.

Depending on the button combination you hold, your device will end up in Fastboot or Download Mode. For Download Mode you can use Heimdall or create a Windows Virtual Machine and launch Odin. Fastboot may be easier to use for you. See other threads in this forum for loading software in Fastboot or Download Mode.

Please note, I do not own a Nexus S, so please follow the advice and answers of others who help you with your particular model in this thread.
The Following 69 Users Say Thank You to AdamOutler For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AdamOutler Ad-Free
17th December 2011, 07:29 PM |#3  
Flag Philadelphia
Thanks Meter: 110

More
Great work Adam, glad to see you here!

Google Nexus S 4.0.3
The Following User Says Thank You to bdpyo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bdpyo Ad-Free
17th December 2011, 07:53 PM |#4  
Flag NYC
Thanks Meter: 5,771

Donate to Me
More
I screwed up my bootloader.img and it courrupted boot partition. When I use the tool, I just get booted back into Android and can not do anything with ROM Manager

Any suggestions?
The Following User Says Thank You to AndroidUser00110001 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AndroidUser00110001 Ad-Free
17th December 2011, 07:56 PM |#5  
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidUser00110001

I screwed up my bootloader.img and it courrupted boot partition. When I use the tool, I just get booted back into Android and can not do anything with ROM Manager

Any suggestions?

Hold a key combination while using the UnBrickable Resurrector
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AdamOutler For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AdamOutler Ad-Free
17th December 2011, 08:02 PM |#6  
Flag NYC

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamOutler

Hold a key combination while using the UnBrickable Resurrector

What do you mean by that? What key combo? I have the android shoveling dirt now and looking for the images to use with odin.
The Following User Says Thank You to AndroidUser00110001 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AndroidUser00110001 Ad-Free
17th December 2011, 08:14 PM |#7  
Flag cleveland
Thanks Meter: 1,071

More
wow adam! i havent hard bricked my phone but i love this.i love to have as many backup or recovery options as possible,thanks alot bud and i will certainly donate next payday and i hope others do also.
The Following User Says Thank You to mike216 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mike216 Ad-Free
17th December 2011, 08:19 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 36

More
Excellent work Adam

Though i am not in need of it, since my phone is not bricked.

But this dedicated thread will definitely help those who have bricked their phones, and stop them from opening up multiple posts regarding the same issue.

by the way, can you update the title to include ICS firmware update, so that people searching would know exactly what the thread is about. Just a thought.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ibn Saeed For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ibn Saeed Ad-Free
17th December 2011, 08:37 PM |#9  
Flag NYC

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamOutler

Hey guys.. This tool will recover your bricked Nexus S after a bad firmware update. If your phone is showing anything on-screen, this tool is not for you. Don't forget to hit the donate button .. hey, it's Christmas and my kid could use some extra toys.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!

I just bricked my device, stupid me screwed up my updater script and ****ed up the boot partition

Thank you once again for this tool, totally saved me today :D
18th December 2011, 02:48 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 50

More
Brilliant work!!!

Just contributed to your justifications to your wife of your time spent on phones.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to waterface For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift waterface Ad-Free
18th December 2011, 11:23 AM |#11  
Inactive Recognized Contributor
Flag C:\windows\system32\
Thanks Meter: 2,382

Donate to Me
More
cant open the file?
please help :..(

"The file '/home/ubuntu/Downloads/UnBrickableResurrectorR38.jar' is not marked as executable. If this was downloaded or copied from an untrusted source, it may be dangerous to run. For more details, read about the executable bit."
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)