[DISCONTINUED] Metal Dragon Overlord v11.10

Search This thread

Abdsyafii

Feb 4, 2009
kernel

Thank you, running smooth so far. What is better kernel, thalamus 8.20 or thalamus 8.21? at dropbox thalamus 8.21 deleted?

Big Dog KMc

May 11, 2010
Is this rom pre-Rooted?
or
Will we loose root and the boot loader be re-locked?

I ask because of the fact that you state in the op No busybox or even superuser.

I wanted to keep my NS (T-Mobile) stock for now and wanted to play with different Kernels but I could not find a Pure Stock (Un-Touched) Kernel anywhere.

If root is kept this rom might be my only way back from a buggy flash.

Anyone have the answer to my previous post??

1PATRIK

Oct 26, 2011
Anybody else missing music from the app and also ringtones missing? Anyway to get those ones show up again. They are still located on SD

Big Dog KMc

May 11, 2010
it's not pre-rooted and you don't lose root either.
Flash a su or supersu after flashing the rom and that's it.

Thank you very much for your quick response.

I just did not like the idea of trying new Roms/Kernels and not having any way back to true stock that does not required a fast boot image erasing everything and starting over.

Unless I am mistaken and doing a fast boot does not erase all of the SD card.

I'm still new to this Nexus S stuff and find that it is different than the vibrant in how Roms and root are handled.

With the vibrant, just Odin back to stock and done. All is still on the SD card.

Thanks again.

Sent from my Nexus S on OTA Jelly Bean.

p.pavljasevic

Sep 11, 2011
OnePlus 7T
Thank you very much for your quick response.

I just did not like the idea of trying new Roms/Kernels and not having any way back to true stock that does not required a fast boot image erasing everything and starting over.

Unless I am mistaken and doing a fast boot does not erase all of the SD card.

I'm still new to this Nexus S stuff and find that it is different than the vibrant in how Roms and root are handled.

With the vibrant, just Odin back to stock and done. All is still on the SD card.

Thanks again.

Sent from my Nexus S on OTA Jelly Bean.

Same is true for ns, but now you have to use fastboot. Or try rommanager. You can make an image of your install and restore without the need for a computer.

Sent from my Nexus S using xda app-developers app

Reactions: Big Dog KMc

Pik3no

Dec 13, 2011
Campinas
The links to _thalamus kernels are based on what version?
kernel-S5PC110-3.0.31-28JB_test-JB-20120810-205044.zip
or
kernel-i9023-S5PC110-3.0.39-27JB_rel-1-gfdf9f98.zip

You only added the BLN and CRT fix?

knzo

Nov 24, 2010
The links to _thalamus kernels are based on what version?
kernel-S5PC110-3.0.31-28JB_test-JB-20120810-205044.zip
or
kernel-i9023-S5PC110-3.0.39-27JB_rel-1-gfdf9f98.zip

It's based on the latest changes in his git which corresponds to his latest release (probably his first link).

You only added the BLN and CRT fix?

... I hate those questions.

Since I didn't say here I was running a thalamus-based kernel along with the AOSP (stock kernel) I built, then you must have found it in the directory listing url. Along with the zip files, there' a changelog.txt there which states every change made to the kernel. So tell me, if you read it why are you asking me something you already have the answer for?

Last edited:
Reactions: g33kt

Pik3no

Dec 13, 2011
Campinas
It's based on the latest changes in his git which corresponds to his latest release (probably his first link).

... I hate those questions.

Since I didn't say here I was running a thalamus-based kernel along with the AOSP (stock kernel) I built, then you must have found it in the directory listing url. Along with the zip files, there' a changelog.txt there which states every change made to the kernel. So tell me, if you read it why are you asking me something you already have the answer for?

I've read it. I was confirming because MadDog already had done this changes on thalamus kernels...
Sorry anyway.

madd0g

May 8, 2010
I have been alternating between CM10 and AOSP but I find the latter not only smoother but also more stable (obviously). I miss a few CM features though but I can't stand sluggishness. OCD.
Great then, I'm not the only one then who thinks CM10 is crap (sadly, I was a CM9 user before). Don't know what they added to it, it scrolls more ****ty and RAM management makes the phone slow down after more then couple hours. AOSP or stock Google OTA runs so good, that I'm surprised how they managed to do such great work on it.

jvpde

Aug 21, 2010
Washington
Don't know what they added to it, it scrolls more ****ty and RAM management makes the phone slow down after more then couple hours. AOSP or stock Google OTA runs so good, that I'm surprised how they managed to do such great work on it.

Really? I've had the exact opposite experience. I get app hangs galore on the OTA.

nexususer1

Jun 24, 2012
Gdańsk
I've been using this rom for a while and I'm still much impressed. Nexus S is s specific device. It needs 2566845 hours of reading, flashing, wiping and adjusting ROMs just to make it work properly... Your ROM combined with Launcher Pro 0.86 does the job just fine. It's fast, transition animations are finally working smooth (thanks to launcher pro, jelly bean stock is just too laggy). I suggest all you who are willing to find a daily driver to use this ROM with thalamus kernel included plus launcher pro launcher. It's really a different league. It just works.

apatal

Feb 27, 2012
Manila
Guys, any ideas on how to get G+ instant upload to work in this ROM? Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus S

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Metal Dragon Overlord, previously known as Strawberry - Android 4.1.2

This ROM is based on Rasbeanjelly but ports some essential CM features specific to our device such as the custom IOCTL and CM telephony. I also tossed in some other stuff like in-call transparency menu, the extended calculator by Xlythe and CM DeskClock (stopwatch + timer). It also combines with my own kernel based on the work by thalamus - hypothalamus. In short, it's a ROM combining the best features out there - it's smooth like AOSP, it has CM's essential features and battery but it's not overly bloated.

In development?: No.
    Last build: 10/11
    Includes gapps, superuser and hypothalamus kernel. Custom supported kernels: marmite, air, matrix - CM version.

Download area: By clicking here you irrevocably agree to transfer your soul's ownership to me, knzo. (source on my github @knzy)
    After using some 4.2 ROMs for a while, including CM10.1 which I've found to be absolutely horrible in terms of smoothness and battery, I'm back to MDO. What does this mean? I didn't have one good experience with a 4.2 ROM so I lost the already low interest I had for developing or using a ROM with such version and I'm back to 4.1.2. However, it is clear by now that NS can't keep up with 4.2 so I'm planning to get rid of mine as soon as I get some decent free time to analyze the market.

tl;dr - end of the line, it was a fun ride.
    Someone can do mods for 4.2? Like battery % and stuff?

I'll add the usual stuff to 4.2, in fact battery % and power menu is already added in my source.
    Meanwhile keep 4.2 out of this thread please.

Ah, for those who don't follow me on twitter (@mnlsrv), I have provided an ETA for the release: 18/01/2013. Why? Because I have a crazy amount of work to do til 14/01/2013. What I still want to do to 4.2 source to feel it's good for daily-driver: a) fix those padding issues on the lockscreen, countdown, etc. b) fix bluetooth (not confirmed), c) fix wlan/3g location (not confirmed), d) wait for CM's new solution for power toggles. Oh, I'm not theming it.

Probably CM is going to have a nightly available before I do though.
    Hit the thanks button if you found this thread from XDA's front page and found it to be an utter train-wreck. :rolleyes:

Nothing trainwrecky about it, 4.2 link has been up and I nuked it because most XDA users are idiots like yourself who make unnecessary posts asking repeated or already answered questions. Since I don't have the patience to deal with people who think this is a service they're entitled to I just thought it was better to upload it again when all the bug fixing is done.

Move along buddy, I don't get your point of not being from this section and posting unnecessary crap like that. This isn't Youtube for the "thumbs up if you also like it in the ass".

P.S. Yeah, we are moody in the crespo section.
    Ok well, latest AOSP Strawberry is out. However, I took a different approach this time.

Changelog:
    - Instead of building from my source, I built from rasbeanjelly source with the following changes:
    - CM telephony (to kill some wakelocks crespo has)
    - CM calculator and clock (you already know the changes for this, if you don't open the apps and swipe left/right)
    - Hypothalamus kernel based on thalamus, with ondemand + modded powerhal, BLN, disabled IDLE2, custom IOCTL (to kill the remaining crespo wakelocks), some updates in the 4.1.2 drop (panic fixes and what not) and some changes to fs flags from trinity kernel.

Like rasbeanjelly, this release includes superuser and gapps, you don't need to flash them. It also has the animations disabled by default (maybe that's why some people think it's weirdly and blowingly fast? haha) so in order to enable them back go to developer settings and change everything that says animation scale back to 1x. I don't want to see posts complaining about the lack of CRT effect when I just told you now how to fix it.

You can say this release is basically rasbeanjelly with a proper kernel and CM's custom IOCTL and telephony as I'm not taking credits for anything. It is also probably my last release as I don't have the time to keep doing this almost every weekend and it seems like crespo is arriving to its end. I plan to use this release until I change phone, I hope you do too.