[FIX] for Status 7 Error in Nexus S 2.3.1 Upgrade

Search This thread

Amin Sabet

Aug 27, 2010
Boston, MA
Those of us who flashed rootboot.img to install a rooted/insecure boot image were unable to update via the 2.3.1 OTA (Status 7 Error). A few different solutions have been posted. Here's one which worked for me, courtesy of momohammed20 and Luxferro:

Step 1: Restore the "2010-12-22.21.06.07" Nandroid backup which momohammed20 shared in this thread. That wipes your phone completely and gives you stock 2.3.1 without root.

Step 2: Follow the steps provided by Luxferro in this post. That gets you back root along with ClockworkMod Recovery.

Worked perfectly for me. Again, the solution is already out there in a few other threads, but I thought this deserved its own thread since a lot of folks have been stuck with the Status 7 error when trying to update.

Thanks again to momohammed20 and Luxferro!

Last edited:
Reactions: sathyabhat

petep86

Feb 23, 2010
Philly
www.PancoGarage.com
U were runninr2.3 rooted and then nandroid the 2.3.1 and u didn't get a MD5 error? Hard to beloved BC I've tried 5 times. Can anyone else try this out n let us know? ?

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA App

petep86

Feb 23, 2010
Philly
www.PancoGarage.com
EDIT: just got it to work.. I re-downloaded it and it loaded. Seems the nandroid I dl from that thread the first time got renamed n it had a "(" in it, and recovery couldn't read the file...
Thanks alot tho, u were right!!

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App

Reactions: Amin Sabet

nsavani

Oct 19, 2009
Chicago
i also want to know if this will allow for future updates. i dont want to be reflashing my phone for every minor update.

petep86

Feb 23, 2010
Philly
www.PancoGarage.com
Yes it will. The bootloader remains unlocked. But it restores everything to stock 2.3.1, and will have stock recovery, so next time there's a OTA it won't get an error when Its flashing BC u will be using the stock recovery n not CWR

Oh btw there's no root, in case u didn't understand what Stock 2.3.1 meant.

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA App

Amin Sabet

Aug 27, 2010
Boston, MA
So will this allow the future flashing of OTAs without issue?

I don't know about that. For this particular OTA, it seems that the problem was the root boot. The method in the OP addresses that. However, I wouldn't assume that the next OTA will be compatible with a rooted device. My understanding (and I am no authority) is that the only way to know you're going to be getting OTAs is to revert to full stock. My intent was to have root and recovery in 2.3.1, not to get back to stock and stay there.

Last edited:

demo23019

Dec 9, 2007
Wish this was posted this morning before i gave up

between some people getting it to work and other not working. People posting methods with stock boot.img but come to find out it wont work with rootboot....ect
Then realizing some people are on one root method while other used another...too confusing and i gave up after countless tries and gave and flashed modaco GRH78 r2 and glad i did because its pretty good..

IMO guys if this is going to require to you wipe your data save your self from headaches and just flash modaco GRH78 r2 with supercurio's EXT4 tweak it also rooted has new market and other fun stuff

Last edited:

Luxferro

Nov 19, 2009
Long Island, NY
I don't know about that. For this particular OTA, it seems that the problem was the root boot. The method in the OP addresses that. However, I wouldn't assume that the next OTA will be compatible with a rooted device. My understanding (and I am no authority) is that the only way to know you're going to be getting OTAs is to revert to full stock. My intent was to have root and recovery in 2.3.1, not to get back to stock and stay there.

Nope, that is false. I had initially used superboot to root my phone when I first got it (w/ the pre-rooted modified boot.img). And I still got the prompt for the update. It will just give you a MD5 mismatch error when you accept the prompt and try to update.

Amin Sabet

Aug 27, 2010
Boston, MA
Luxferro, I think you misunderstood what I wrote. I too was rooted and got the prompt for this particular OTA, and some folks who were rooted (without root boot) were able to apply the OTA without an error. What I was trying to say was that the only way to be sure that they can receive and apply all future OTA updates would be to revert to stock (or have a means to revert to stock).

godsfilth

Mar 31, 2009
the status 7 error is a result of the patch process not finding a proper checksum for the things its patching if you have deleted system/framework apk's/odex's de-odexd the system/framework themed the system/framework changed the kernel this will cause status 7 error and will give you a hint on where the issue lies i.e. it will say somthing about calculator not match if you deleted it and error code 7

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Those of us who flashed rootboot.img to install a rooted/insecure boot image were unable to update via the 2.3.1 OTA (Status 7 Error). A few different solutions have been posted. Here's one which worked for me, courtesy of momohammed20 and Luxferro:

Step 1: Restore the "2010-12-22.21.06.07" Nandroid backup which momohammed20 shared in this thread. That wipes your phone completely and gives you stock 2.3.1 without root.

Step 2: Follow the steps provided by Luxferro in this post. That gets you back root along with ClockworkMod Recovery.

Worked perfectly for me. Again, the solution is already out there in a few other threads, but I thought this deserved its own thread since a lot of folks have been stuck with the Status 7 error when trying to update.

Thanks again to momohammed20 and Luxferro!
    EDIT: just got it to work.. I re-downloaded it and it loaded. Seems the nandroid I dl from that thread the first time got renamed n it had a "(" in it, and recovery couldn't read the file...
    Thanks alot tho, u were right!!

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App