FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[HACK] Superboot Method for 2.3.2 (GRH78C)

124 posts
Thanks Meter: 14

By annndrewww, Senior Member on 25th January 2011, 01:54 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
The Superboot root method boot.img for 2.3.2 is now live thanks to Paul over at Android @ MoDaCo.

"Superboot is a boot.img that when flashed, will root your device the first time you boot (installing su and the superuser APK). No need to flash the system partition, no need to use ADB, no messing with the contents of your data partition, no overwriting the shipped ROM on your device, just flash the boot image using the instructions below and you're done!"

Using Superboot

- Download the zip file and extract
- Connect Nexus S via USB cable (with debugging enabled - Settings->Applications->Development->Check "USB Debuggging")
- Boot into bootloader mode - (Turn on while holding 'volume up')

- WINDOWS - double click 'install-superboot-windows.bat'

- MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-superboot-mac.sh' followed by './install-superboot-mac.sh'

- LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-superboot-linux.sh' followed by './install-superboot-linux.sh'

*Again, All credit goes to Paul at Android @ MoDaCo*
Attached Files
File Type: zip 1.0-GRH78-nexuss-superboot.zip - [Click for QR Code] (4.40 MB, 3981 views)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to annndrewww For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift annndrewww Ad-Free

25th January 2011, 02:16 AM |#2  
Flag Tampa,FL
Thanks Meter: 5

Donate to Me
More
Cool I'm rooted already but nice to see easier ways of doing it for the noobs. Appreciate the work.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk
25th January 2011, 03:21 AM |#3  
Flag Florida
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Updated today to 2.3.2 and lost root. Used this and I'm back up and running ! Thank you!!!

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA App
25th January 2011, 08:13 AM |#4  
Flag Coachella ca
Thanks Meter: 13

More
can u do this being rooted or do you have to revert to stock
25th January 2011, 08:15 AM |#5  
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 28

More
For some reason this didn't work for me. I tried it twice but each time the phone rebooted I still didn't have root. Do I have to unlock fastboot?
25th January 2011, 08:20 AM |#6  
Flag Coachella ca

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by qreffie

For some reason this didn't work for me. I tried it twice but each time the phone rebooted I still didn't have root. Do I have to unlock fastboot?

i think you would
25th January 2011, 08:34 AM |#7  
Flag Coachella ca

More
fastboot
fastboot satus failinvalid command
25th January 2011, 09:09 AM |#8  
Flag Hong Kong
Thanks Meter: 0

More
finally regain root, thank you!!!
25th January 2011, 09:27 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by qreffie

Yes. These instructions assume you have already unlocked your bootloader.

The Following User Says Thank You to annndrewww For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift annndrewww Ad-Free
25th January 2011, 09:55 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
maybe a noob question: if I just root my Nexus S using this method (no custom rom installation), will I still be able to get OTA updates from google?
25th January 2011, 10:08 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakiz71

maybe a noob question: if I just root my Nexus S using this method (no custom rom installation), will I still be able to get OTA updates from google?

Yes. You may have to re-root after updates but your phone will prompt you when OTA updates are available just like normal.

The Following User Says Thank You to annndrewww For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift annndrewww Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)