[HOWTO] get root back after ota update!

Search This thread

radinjxu

Oct 8, 2009
Is it necessary to go back to stock to get the OTA? Won't it just be incorporated into future custom ROM's. Sorry, I'm somewhat new to the whole rooting community and am unsure of whether or not I need to flash back to stock, unrooted to get the update, or if I can just stick where I am and get it in an update to a custom ROM.

jroid

Jan 8, 2009
I just pushed everything and executed permissions manually. Got 2.3.1 by restoring /system and /cache while keeping my boot.img and it booted perfectly fine :)

jimmypopulous

Oct 11, 2010
I've got root back, but not by that method. I think it might be a mistake to flash that boot.img, as the 2.3.1 update patched boot.img... so replacing it with one from 2.3 might not be the best idea. But I guess no one really know what the changes might be.

I guess time will tell :p

The method I used was:

[snip]

These steps worked for me. Thanks!

jblade1000

Jul 19, 2009
No, it's a safety mechanism so you can't lose recovery... It has nothing to do with clockworkmod. Someone can make a root script or app that disables it easily. Or people can just do it themselves manually.

edit: actually, all that needs to be done is add some code to the update script inside su-2.3.6.1-ef-signed.zip so when it installs the update, it renames install-recovery.sh

so if all the future ota updates require stock recovery, we can just un-do the rename of that file and reboot to get stock recovery, then update, then re-flash CWM recovery from ROM Manager (assuming the ota retains root or you re-root)?

kramer987

Dec 22, 2010
having a bit of trouble here. i followed all the steps but when i go to rename the install-recovery.sh file i am told that it is a read only file and cannot be changed. how do i fix this?

i also tried this method and get the same error:
adb shell
su
mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.bak

EDIT:
nevermind. got it to work using this:

adb shell
su
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.bak

Last edited:

yungfresh

Aug 15, 2010
how do you go into adb? is it just through the terminal? i'm confused. I'm pretty new to the adb thing?

nyijedi

Jul 5, 2008
Long Island, NY
Does flashing a new recovery normally result in all data on the Nexus S getting wiped? This happened when I first flashed the clockwork recovery when I rooted and I wasn't expecting it. I'm currently rooted, but my recovery has reverted to stock. If I flash clockwork recovery back on (and then rename install-recovery.sh to install-recovery.sh.old), will my phone be wiped again?

DKYang

Mar 19, 2009
No, only unlocking the fastboot will erase everything. Possibly locking it will also erase everything, but I haven't done that so I'm just assuming. Flashing recovery images should not result in loss of data.

headsh0tshurt

Dec 21, 2010
Jersey City
i received an alert to update about the OTA. I allowed the system to run the update and upon reboot i got the droid logo w/ an exclamation point over its head. I pulled the battery and did a normal boot and everything appears fine...my version is "2.3".

Is this the lastest & greatest? if not, how can i get the OTA on my rooted phone.

G

GuestD0856

So if it wont let me rename the install recovery file, do i assume i dont have root?
Followed all the instructions but now it wont let me rename that file.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've got root back, but not by that method. I think it might be a mistake to flash that boot.img, as the 2.3.1 update patched boot.img... so replacing it with one from 2.3 might not be the best idea. But I guess no one really know what the changes might be.

I guess time will tell :p

The method I used was:

1. Boot into fastboot.

Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-3.0.0.0-crespo.img

3. Reboot from fastboot directly into recovery (not doing so will cause android to replace CWR).

4. Mount USB, copy su-2.3.6.1-ef-signed.zip to the /sdcard via windows/linux

5. Mount /system

6. Install update from zip (browse to were you put su-2.3.6.1-ef-signed.zip).

7. Install it, and reboot.

8. open root explorer, and rename /etc/install-recovery.sh to install-recovery.sh.old

9. open ROM Manager, reflash CWR.

now you are all done, rooted, w/ CWR :D
    I'm left with a broken wifi as well. Is there any way to fix it?

Or where do I find the stock boot.img?

i posted the stock boot.img in another thread.