As stock as possible
I like things pretty stock, but couldn't live without BLN, so I built this kernel for myself, but thought others might find it to their liking. The point of this kernel is to not be fully modded out. Apart from the backlight mods, it's pretty much stock.
I'm sure almost everyone knows what these mods are, but for those that don't:
BLN (Backlight Notifications): Since the Nexus S has no notification LED, this mod allows the 4 soft-button lights to act as a notification LED.
BLD (Backlight Dimmer): Normally, the 4 soft-button lights are always on as long as the screen is on. This mod will turn off the button lights after a set delay if they haven't been pressed.
Changes from stock:
- BLN (Backlight Notifications)
- BLD (Backlight Dimmer)
- CIFS module
- Init.d (requires busybox to work; use busybox installer from market)
- Insecure (ro.secure=0)
- Voodoo (*optional)
Based on stock kernel android-samsung-3.0-jb-mr0
Backlight mods by Neldar, Akent, Morfic, Ezekeel
Voodoo by Supercurio, project-voodoo
To configure BLN/BLD, edit the file /system/etc/init.d/88backlight and change the numbers after "echo". If you modify the script in Android, make sure it has execute permissions (chmod 0755). It looks like this:
# ---------- BLN (Backlight Notification) ---------- # Enabled (0 - Disable; 1 - Enable) echo 1 > /sys/devices/virtual/misc/backlightnotification/enabled # Blink (0 - Disable; 1 - Enable) echo 1 > /sys/devices/virtual/misc/backlightnotification/in_kernel_blink # Blink Interval (time in milliseconds between blinking ON and OFF) echo 500 > /sys/devices/virtual/misc/backlightnotification/blink_interval # Max Blink Count (number of times to blink before stopping; 0 - Indefinatly) echo 0 > /sys/devices/virtual/misc/backlightnotification/max_blink_count # ---------- BLD (Backlight Dimmer) ---------- # Enabled (0 - Disable; 1 - Enable) echo 1 > /sys/devices/virtual/misc/backlightdimmer/enabled # Delay (in milliseconds) echo 30000 > /sys/devices/virtual/misc/backlightdimmer/delay
BusyBox is required for the init.d script to work, which enables the mods. Use BusyBox installer from market to install BusyBox.
Run the app, press install, and then you can uninstall the installer.
Otherwise, you can use an app such as NSTools to enable.
SimpleKernel 1.40 (18th October 2012)
- Updated kernel to stock 4.1.2.
- Updated kernel to stock 4.1.1.
- Broken releases, due to outdated kernel source
- Updated kernel to stock 4.0.4.
- Built md4 into kernel instead of as module (required for CIFS)
- Removed a bunch of modules. For some reason the default kernel config builds a bunch of modules for TV tuners. I assume this was a mistake (OTA rom/kernel doesn't have these) so I removed them.
- Updated BLN (blink interval and blink limit added) Thanks to Ezekeel
- Initial release
For Nexus S i9020T/i9023 Stock ICS 4.1.2: