FORUMS

[MOD][29 MAR] Enable on-screen buttons in ICS roms

486 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,355

By evilisto, Senior Member on 25th November 2011, 04:23 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, for personal reasons, I don't have much time to update all my mods.
So from now on, I will update mods for stock(AOSP) ROM only.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

i know many people say this is useless and meaningless... but i like it because it is very nice for my eyes..
so if you don't like this idea, just don't use this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

updated to v3 : see changelog

for Deodexed IMM76D (GSM 4.0.4) : Download
Restore : Download

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

maybe you need Ezekeel's GLaDOS kernel and arifhn's NSTools to disable buttons backlight.
(enable backlight dimmer and set delay to 500)

and howto is here : [HOWTO] enable on-screen buttons in ICS rom

changelog [update log]

Code:
03/29
- IMM76D
- this is the last update from me. sorry!

03/26
- CM9 v4.0 and Pete 03-16-12

03/15
- CM9 nightly 20120314

03/03
- update HTC style mods to HTC "One" style :)

03/01
- add HTC style mods

02/28
- AOKP build 26

02/24
- CM9 v3.0~3.4

02/22
- AOKP build 25

02/21
- AOKP build 24

02/15
- AOKP build 23 version layout fixed

02/14
- AOKP build 23
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	evts1394.jpg
Views:	21102
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	794291  
The Following 35 Users Say Thank You to evilisto For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift evilisto Ad-Free
25th November 2011, 04:34 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 31

More
Yes!! I am so happy someone found a way to do this. While they can be considered completely pointless on a device that already has buttons, I find them really awesome on the Nesus S. Especially after disabling the backlight on the capacitive buttons.
25th November 2011, 04:43 AM |#3  
California
Thanks Meter: 515

More
Koush version works great on BM v5. I'll try the restore file out in a bit.

EDIT: I've removed the google search box before but wasn't able to use the screen space where it used to be. Is there any way to activate that space for widgets etc? I would be a nice tweak to add back a little more useable screen space after applying this tweak.

EDIT2: I noticed that widgets placed towards the of the screen will overlap with the google search box now (genie widget or power control widget as an example).

Backlight dimmer is a must. Looks great in the dark.
25th November 2011, 04:51 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 342

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishrally

Koush version works great on BM v5. I'll try the restore file out in a bit.

EDIT: I've removed the google search box before but wasn't able to use the screen space where it used to be. Is there any way to activate that space for widgets etc? I would be a nice tweak to add back a little more useable screen space after applying this tweak.

EDIT2: I noticed that widgets placed towards the of the screen will overlap with the google search box now (genie widget or power control widget as an example).

Did you change the LCD density to 210?

Sent from my Nexus S using xda premium
25th November 2011, 04:53 AM |#5  
California

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious_Beans

Did you change the LCD density to 210?

Sent from my Nexus S using xda premium

I did not. I was hoping I wouldn't have to. I don't like how things pull in towards the center of the screen too much with dpi that low.

EDIT: I just checked at the it's set to 220. I think it changed to 220 after flashing this mod.
25th November 2011, 05:40 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 287

More
I as well think that on-screen buttons aren't as useless and wasteful as everyone makes it seem. It changes the user experience a little bit for the better while sacrificing a little screen space.

For one, it allows you to access the task switcher without holding the home button. A simple tap and you're good to go. I find myself switching apps a lot more often when I had the button available as oppose to the long-press method.

Secondly, the 3 dots for the menu button allow you to see when the button is available in certain apps/screens. This is important in legacy apps as you don't have to guess if there are more options or not (advance settings for Wi-Fi anyone?).

I think everyone should try it at least for a little bit to see how the experience pans out. If nothing else, it give you a taste of how the Galaxy Nexus works which I assume will be many people's next phone.

For those of you that use it, I used 230dpi as my setting. Anything below that and my bookmark widget blends in with the search bar. Also, like someone said above, disable the soft key lights with Backlight Dimmer using NSTools. Just put it at a low value. If you really want to be fancy, you can change the soft keys to other functions. For example, I edit the /system/usr/keylayout/cypress-touchkey to have the Back and Menu button be Vol- and Vol+ respectively while the Search and Home buttons were the equivalent to the power button. This is just some functionality for the buttons so that those of you that don't like reaching up to the physical buttons can have those right at your fingertips.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enhanced For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Enhanced Ad-Free
25th November 2011, 05:41 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2,355

More
omg sorry. i changed lcd density to 210 so widget overlapping problem is solved now.
25th November 2011, 06:04 AM |#8  
Florida
Thanks Meter: 148

More
NS4g version pls.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
25th November 2011, 06:08 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 20

Donate to Me
More
How do you go to menu mode (when only used these 3 buttons)?
25th November 2011, 06:13 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 287

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcchan1

How do you go to menu mode (when only used these 3 buttons)?

There are three dots when there is a menu mode available. As for the home screen, go into settings through the notification drop down menu.
25th November 2011, 06:48 AM |#11  
California

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enhanced

If you really want to be fancy, you can change the soft keys to other functions. For example, I edit the /system/usr/keylayout/cypress-touchkey to have the Back and Menu button be Vol- and Vol+ respectively while the Search and Home buttons were the equivalent to the power button. This is just some functionality for the buttons so that those of you that don't like reaching up to the physical buttons can have those right at your fingertips.

Really cool that we can change this so easily. I got the back button to be the power button but I couldn't figure out the volume notation. I tried VOL+ +VOL VOLUP etc.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ics on-screen softkeys

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)