[ROM] [Omni-ROM] [UNOFFICIAL] Crespo [4.4.4], final build (22.08.2014)

Search This thread

lagloose

Feb 11, 2008
Unofficial crespo build of Omni-ROM using CM11 kernel. Flash at your own risk. Use latest CWM to flash. Don't know if it works with TWRP.

For additional information see post 2

Changelog 22.08.2014

- latest Omni sources (as of 21.08.2014)
- This is a 'blind' build. I couldn't test it out. So DO A BACKUP before flashing this build.

Changelog 23.07.2014

- latest Omni sources (as of 22.07.2014)
- adapted and added 'OmniTorch' to work on crespo

Changelog 25.06.2014

- latest Omni sources (as of 24.06.2014)
- Android 4.4.4
- ZRAM defaults to 96 MB

Changelog 13.06.2014

- latest Omni sources (as of 13.06.2014)
- Android 4.4.3
- removed all custom properties (original Omni code)

Notes on this release:
Due to the fact that Android has iterated to Version 4.4.3, i recommend to do a fresh installation. Use Gapps from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2397942 I personally used 'MICRO MODULAR PACKAGE' 4.4.3.

Changelog 30.04.2014

- latest Omni sources (as of 30.04.2014)

Changelog 31.03.2014

- latest Omni sources (as of 31.03.2014)

Changelog 17.03.2014

- latest Omni sources (as of 17.03.2014)

Changelog 28.02.2014

- latest Omni sources (as of 28.02.2014)
- new Bootanimation should work now
- This is a 'blind' build. I couldn't test it out. So DO A BACKUP before flashing this build.

Changelog 21.02.2014

- latest Omni sources (as of 21.02.2014)
- temporarily changed to old bootanimation
- once again back to self compiled kernel
- removed property 'ro.config.max_cached_apps'

Changelog 05.02.2014

- latest Omni sources (as of 05.02.2014)
- fixed camera
- fixed zram handling

Changelog 03.02.2014

- latest Omni sources (as of 03.02.2014)
- system and kernel seperated again
- fixed ART runtime

Changelog 24.01.2014

- latest Omni sources (as of 24.01.2014)
- system and kernel build from sources again.

Changelog 10.01.2014

- latest Omni sources
- seperated system and kernel building. Using latest CM11 kernel as 'default' now
- cache is back again on /cache
- internal apps2sd fixed
- fixed graphical glitches and 'sudden reboots'
- removed property 'ro.config.force_highgfx' (see 'High Mem settings' in post 2)
- added properties 'ro.config.max_recent_tasks' and 'ro.config.max_starting_bg' (see 'High Mem settings' in post 2)
- changed default wallpaper

Changelog 27.12.2013

- fixed kernel flashing error
- latest Omni sources
- fixed SIM-pin and security keypad layout
- enabled KSM like described here: http://source.android.com/devices/low-ram.html#ksm
- enabled memory cgroups in kernel for zram like described here: http://source.android.com/devices/low-ram.html#zram
- added possibility to enable zram (see post 2 for instructions)
- temporary linked /cache to /data/cache (due to kernel problems not mounting cache partition)
- reset build.prop props so that phone behaves as a 'low memory' device

Known issues:

- Performance/VM-Settings are reset to default values after reboot.

Standard Installation:
- Download ROM and GAPPS
- Boot into recovery
- Do a backup
- if not already done, do a backup..
- Wipe Data/Factory Reset
- Mounts and Storage -> format /system
- Flash ROM
- Flash GAPPS
- Reboot

ART runtime Installation:
- Download ROM and GAPPS
- Boot into recovery
- Do a backup
- Flash ROM
- Reboot and 'Setup'
- Enable developer settings in the usual way by quickly tapping on 'Build Number' several times in 'About Phone'.
- Enable ART in developer settings and let it reboot.
- Wait... It will take some time. After round about 5 minutes Omni logo should dissappear and you should see 'Optimizing ...'
- After ROM has booted, reboot to recovery
- Flash GAPPS
- Reboot

For root, flash SuperSu, which can be found here at XDA.

build 7 DOWNLOAD: HERE
build 8 DOWNLOAD: HERE
build 9 DOWNLOAD: HERE
build 10 DOWNLOAD: HERE
build 11 DOWNLOAD: HERE
build 12 DOWNLOAD: HERE
build 13 DOWNLOAD: HERE
build 14 DOWNLOAD: HERE
build 15 (final) DOWNLOAD: HERE

For GAPPS package for 4.4.2 builds search XDA or use this minimal GAPPS (from Mokee ROM): http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407566631
For 4.4.3 builds use a package from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2397942
For 4.4.4 builds use Gapps from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2397942 I personally used 'MICRO MODULAR PACKAGE' 4.4.3.

And now for some rules:

- I won't implement special wishes. So don't ask for it. I will simply ignore such requests.
- I'll try to update every 2 weeks, except there are significant changes or fixes from Omni team. But read again: 'i'll TRY..'.
- And please don't flood my PM box. If you have problems installing/running, search XDA first...

A big and warm 'Thank you' and Credits go to 'DerTeufel1980' for creating his kernel and allowing me to use it.

Enjoy, lagloose

Last edited:

lagloose

Feb 11, 2008
Additional installation instructions

Naturally a clean install is always the best thing to do, but a 'dirty' flash shoud be ok, as long as you didn't install scripts or anything else which reside on /system partition. However, flashing a new release overwrites Gapps. So what you can try is:

!!! In every case make sure you are on 'dalvik' runtime before trying a dirty flash !!!

Without wiping anything:

- flash new release
- flash Gapps
- flash 'SuperSu'
- reboot

ROM should boot now and show you the usual 'updating' and 'optimizing' app's (blah.. blah...) dialog. Afterwards try if everything is like 'before'. Of course i'll can't guarantee

ZRAM

To enable zram i've integrated an 'init.d' script which looks for special properties in build.prop and enables or disables zram depending on the values of this properties. These properties are 'sys.zram.size' (in Mb) and 'sys.zram.swappiness'. If 'sys.zram.size' ist set to '0', zram will be disabled. For those who want to enable it, i'd recommend to reserve 64Mb of memory for zram. So set 'sys.zram.size=64' in build.prop. I'd recommend ro leave swappiness at 20 because this seems to be a good 'balanced' value, but if you want to try around with swappiness, feel free.

People who are not familiar with 'adb' and setting properties can download 'build.prop editor' here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jrummy.apps.build.prop.editor from playstore. BUT DON'T CHANGE ANY OTHER VALUE THAN MENTIONED ABOVE, UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING !!! To check if and 'how' zram works you can use this one from playstore: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=id.co.ptskp.android.zs (Note: there seems to be a bug in that app which fc's and gives you back a large negative number. Just wait some time and start the app again. It should work than.)

High Mem settings

Due to too much problems with using 'ro.config.force_highgfx=true' in conjunction with low_mem device setting i decided to remove this property. Instead i've added and used three other properties to get our Nexus S running in 'high mem' mode without loosing too much performance. To change to high mem mode i recommend to set/change the follwing properties in system/build.prop:

ro.config.low_ram=false
ro.config.max_recent_tasks=10
ro.config.max_starting_bg=2

This can be done by using 'adb' or 'build.prop editor' from Playstore. See notes on 'build.prop editor' in ZRAM section of this post. Additionally you should consider downloading and flashing 'Devil Kernel' from here: http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2314244&d=1381362960
For people who know about OOM settings, I suggest to set OOM values to 2048,3584,14080,17920,21760,25600. I won't do bigger explanations here on what all this does. Those of you, who are able to read source code are free to inspect Android source to find out...
Anyway, I'd be glad if someone does a post in this thread what OOM settings are and how they can be set.

Battery life

to increase battery life, you don't have to turn off Location services completely. However, i strongly recommend to turn off Location reporting and Location history in 'Google location settings'. Also turn off 'Scanning always available' in Advanced Wi-Fi settings.

Last edited:

Setting.Out

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Mar 10, 2013
Sèvres
Okay, I need to know what I am doing wrong.. I have downloaded this rom 4 times with both my computer and phone.. I have tried CWM 6.0.4.3, Philz 6.01.0 (cwm6.0.4.5), TWRP 2.6.3... I did full wipes each time, no error messages on flashing with CWM's, failed message on TWRP.. and when I try to boot, I am knocked to boot loader every time.. I just reflashed EuroSkank CM11 with no issues.. So, what didn't I do?..

( for anyone new, I have flashed a few thousand times and know how to do it..)

chaoslimits

Mar 19, 2010
Okay, I need to know what I am doing wrong.. I have downloaded this rom 4 times with both my computer and phone.. I have tried CWM 6.0.4.3, Philz 6.01.0 (cwm6.0.4.5), TWRP 2.6.3... I did full wipes each time, no error messages on flashing with CWM's, failed message on TWRP.. and when I try to boot, I am knocked to boot loader every time.. I just reflashed EuroSkank CM11 with no issues.. So, what didn't I do?..

http://download2.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.4.3-crespo.img
Flash the latest touch recovery in fastboot prior to flashing. It should flash after that.

Edit: Whether or not it boots is a another story. Mine's been sitting on the boot screen for 10 minutes.

Last edited:

Setting.Out

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Mar 10, 2013
Sèvres
Could I get a mirror please from someone who got it to boot??

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Zahih

Feb 28, 2012

Same with me,
Always back to bootloader

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Unofficial crespo build of Omni-ROM using CM11 kernel. Flash at your own risk. Use latest CWM to flash. Don't know if it works with TWRP.

For additional information see post 2

Changelog 22.08.2014

- latest Omni sources (as of 21.08.2014)

Changelog 23.07.2014

- latest Omni sources (as of 22.07.2014)
    - adapted and added 'OmniTorch' to work on crespo

Changelog 25.06.2014

- latest Omni sources (as of 24.06.2014)
    - Android 4.4.4
    - ZRAM defaults to 96 MB

Changelog 13.06.2014

- latest Omni sources (as of 13.06.2014)
    - Android 4.4.3
    - removed all custom properties (original Omni code)

Notes on this release:
    Due to the fact that Android has iterated to Version 4.4.3, i recommend to do a fresh installation. Use Gapps from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2397942 I personally used 'MICRO MODULAR PACKAGE' 4.4.3.

Changelog 30.04.2014

- latest Omni sources (as of 30.04.2014)

Changelog 31.03.2014

- latest Omni sources (as of 31.03.2014)

Changelog 17.03.2014

- latest Omni sources (as of 17.03.2014)

Changelog 28.02.2014

- latest Omni sources (as of 28.02.2014)
    - new Bootanimation should work now

Changelog 21.02.2014

- latest Omni sources (as of 21.02.2014)
    - temporarily changed to old bootanimation
    - once again back to self compiled kernel
    - removed property 'ro.config.max_cached_apps'

Changelog 05.02.2014

- latest Omni sources (as of 05.02.2014)
    - fixed camera
    - fixed zram handling

Changelog 03.02.2014

- latest Omni sources (as of 03.02.2014)
    - system and kernel seperated again
    - fixed ART runtime

Changelog 24.01.2014

- latest Omni sources (as of 24.01.2014)
    - system and kernel build from sources again.

Changelog 10.01.2014

- latest Omni sources
    - seperated system and kernel building. Using latest CM11 kernel as 'default' now
    - cache is back again on /cache
    - internal apps2sd fixed
    - fixed graphical glitches and 'sudden reboots'
    - removed property 'ro.config.force_highgfx' (see 'High Mem settings' in post 2)
    - added properties 'ro.config.max_recent_tasks' and 'ro.config.max_starting_bg' (see 'High Mem settings' in post 2)
    - changed default wallpaper

Changelog 27.12.2013

- fixed kernel flashing error
    - latest Omni sources
    - fixed SIM-pin and security keypad layout
    - enabled KSM like described here: http://source.android.com/devices/low-ram.html#ksm
    - enabled memory cgroups in kernel for zram like described here: http://source.android.com/devices/low-ram.html#zram
    - added possibility to enable zram (see post 2 for instructions)
    - temporary linked /cache to /data/cache (due to kernel problems not mounting cache partition)
    - reset build.prop props so that phone behaves as a 'low memory' device

Known issues:

- Performance/VM-Settings are reset to default values after reboot.

Standard Installation:
    - Download ROM and GAPPS
    - Boot into recovery
    - Do a backup
    - Flash ROM
    - Flash GAPPS
    - Reboot

ART runtime Installation:
    - Download ROM and GAPPS
    - Boot into recovery
    - Do a backup
    - Flash ROM
    - Reboot and 'Setup'
    - Enable developer settings in the usual way by quickly tapping on 'Build Number' several times in 'About Phone'.
    - Enable ART in developer settings and let it reboot.
    - Wait... It will take some time. After round about 5 minutes Omni logo should dissappear and you should see 'Optimizing ...'
    - After ROM has booted, reboot to recovery
    - Flash GAPPS
    - Reboot

For root, flash SuperSu, which can be found here at XDA.

build 7 DOWNLOAD: HERE
    build 8 DOWNLOAD: HERE
    build 9 DOWNLOAD: HERE
    build 10 DOWNLOAD: HERE
    build 11 DOWNLOAD: HERE
    build 12 DOWNLOAD: HERE
    build 13 DOWNLOAD: HERE
    build 14 DOWNLOAD: HERE
    build 15 (final) DOWNLOAD: HERE

For GAPPS package for 4.4.2 builds search XDA or use this minimal GAPPS (from Mokee ROM): http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407566631
    For 4.4.3 builds use a package from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2397942
    For 4.4.4 builds use Gapps from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2397942 I personally used 'MICRO MODULAR PACKAGE' 4.4.3.

And now for some rules:

- I won't implement special wishes. So don't ask for it. I will simply ignore such requests.
    - I'll try to update every 2 weeks, except there are significant changes or fixes from Omni team. But read again: 'i'll TRY..'.
    - And please don't flood my PM box. If you have problems installing/running, search XDA first...

A big and warm 'Thank you' and Credits go to 'DerTeufel1980' for creating his kernel and allowing me to use it.

Enjoy, lagloose
    Additional installation instructions

Naturally a clean install is always the best thing to do, but a 'dirty' flash shoud be ok, as long as you didn't install scripts or anything else which reside on /system partition. However, flashing a new release overwrites Gapps. So what you can try is:

!!! In every case make sure you are on 'dalvik' runtime before trying a dirty flash !!!

Without wiping anything:

- flash new release
    - flash Gapps
    - flash 'SuperSu'
    - reboot

ROM should boot now and show you the usual 'updating' and 'optimizing' app's (blah.. blah...) dialog. Afterwards try if everything is like 'before'. Of course i'll can't guarantee

ZRAM

To enable zram i've integrated an 'init.d' script which looks for special properties in build.prop and enables or disables zram depending on the values of this properties. These properties are 'sys.zram.size' (in Mb) and 'sys.zram.swappiness'. If 'sys.zram.size' ist set to '0', zram will be disabled. For those who want to enable it, i'd recommend to reserve 64Mb of memory for zram. So set 'sys.zram.size=64' in build.prop. I'd recommend ro leave swappiness at 20 because this seems to be a good 'balanced' value, but if you want to try around with swappiness, feel free.

People who are not familiar with 'adb' and setting properties can download 'build.prop editor' here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jrummy.apps.build.prop.editor from playstore. BUT DON'T CHANGE ANY OTHER VALUE THAN MENTIONED ABOVE, UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING !!! To check if and 'how' zram works you can use this one from playstore: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=id.co.ptskp.android.zs (Note: there seems to be a bug in that app which fc's and gives you back a large negative number. Just wait some time and start the app again. It should work than.)

High Mem settings

Due to too much problems with using 'ro.config.force_highgfx=true' in conjunction with low_mem device setting i decided to remove this property. Instead i've added and used three other properties to get our Nexus S running in 'high mem' mode without loosing too much performance. To change to high mem mode i recommend to set/change the follwing properties in system/build.prop:

ro.config.low_ram=false
    ro.config.max_recent_tasks=10
    ro.config.max_starting_bg=2

This can be done by using 'adb' or 'build.prop editor' from Playstore. See notes on 'build.prop editor' in ZRAM section of this post. Additionally you should consider downloading and flashing 'Devil Kernel' from here: http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2314244&d=1381362960
    For people who know about OOM settings, I suggest to set OOM values to 2048,3584,14080,17920,21760,25600. I won't do bigger explanations here on what all this does. Those of you, who are able to read source code are free to inspect Android source to find out...
    Anyway, I'd be glad if someone does a post in this thread what OOM settings are and how they can be set.

Battery life

to increase battery life, you don't have to turn off Location services completely. However, i strongly recommend to turn off Location reporting and Location history in 'Google location settings'. Also turn off 'Scanning always available' in Advanced Wi-Fi settings.
    build 15 (final) is up.
    As earlier announced this is my final build of Omni for the Nexus S device. I've changed to Nexus 4. If someone want's to continue this thread, feel free to contact me by PM. I'll hand over all necessary files (device tree, repo references..). But please don't contact me asking how to compile Android/Omni. There are a lot of threads and 'How To's' here at XDA.

Thanks to all of you and enjoy my final build :)
    New build is up.
    New build is up...