[ROOT] 07/Mar GRI40 colour revert: Superboot - rooting the Nexus S

Search This thread

kyleds

Jun 12, 2009
Honolulu
damn it.. locked. lol

there anyway to just download files and flash it on the phone, without connecting to the comp. I am way to noob to connect to computer and use the sdk, avd, adb... :(

follow exactly what the OP says in his directions. i forgot to ask you if your BOOTLOADER is unlocked?

Reboot your phone go to in to the bootloader and look at the specs listed at the top of the screen. it should say whether its locked or unlocked. i remember mines said "awaiting for device" as well then i realized my bootloader was still locked.

Last edited:

ryan562

Feb 28, 2010
damn it.. locked. lol

there anyway to just download files and flash it on the phone, without connecting to the comp. I am way to noob to connect to computer and use the sdk, avd, adb... :(

all i did was follow this bootloader unlock thread for the nexus s found on this link:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=875580

the stickied thread on sdk, adb, drivers, etc will also be helpful to you here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=878786

i'm no fan of using adb either but these threads were extremely helpful.

Last edited:

allen099

Feb 22, 2010
New York
Thanks for the Superboot Paul. It worked like a charm!

However I'm having a problem getting back into bootloader with the volume up button. Anyone else having this? (I can adb reboot bootloader, but the point of this phone is to have on-the-go access to everything :) )

ryan562

Feb 28, 2010
I seem to have lost that ability as well. I had to use adb or cwm 3.0 to flash Paul's latest rom
Thanks for the Superboot Paul. It worked like a charm!

However I'm having a problem getting back into bootloader with the volume up button. Anyone else having this? (I can adb reboot bootloader, but the point of this phone is to have on-the-go access to everything :) )

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA App

heinrich

Nov 13, 2005
Paul, CHEERS, this was painless and worked perfectly for me on my Win7 x64 system. Thank you :)

heinrich

Nov 13, 2005
For wifi errors fixed

I had this problem as well, and let me be very specific:

1) stock T-Mo Nexus S
2) unlocked and rooted following Koush's method
3) wifi would not start (ERROR); camera crashed
4) tried everything including pushing a new wifi driver, did not work; errors about rom manager and SU not able to get root access
5) flashed boot again and this fixed camera but nothing fixed wifi
6) flashed Momohammed20's stock system and all roms he posted, following his write-up
7) full functionality returned to my Nexus S
8) remained unlocked, lost root
9) rooted using Paul's tool here
10) used ROM manager to reinstall clockwork
11) everything works. unlocked; rooted; clockwork works; superuser works; rom manager works

zephiK

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 23, 2009
New York, NY
Works fine. At first it was a hassle but many requirements are needed before double clicking the .bat file.

Make sure you have the 2.3 SDK installed properly along with the Nexus S drivers. The thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=878786 helped a lot.

Pretty much, install 2.3 SDK, Nexus S drivers.. then go into bootloader and go into the SDK folder with command prompt and type "fastboot devices" if the Nexus S is detected then you're good to go. Make sure the fastboot is unlocked as well (fastboot oem unlock)

allyn274

Apr 6, 2009
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Thank you thank you thank you!

I've been reading everywhere on how to do this, but this WORKED! Thank you!!!! Really excited to see what I can do now with my newly rooted phone!

stiefa00

Sep 19, 2010
Nuremberg
I'll update this for the OTA today.

P

thx paul, this one worked really good!
but what about OTA updates?

edit:

okay as I did this superboot trick today... my nexus still shows me the android version 2.3.1 and build number GRH78 like before rooting.

new ota updates can be done like always or do I have to install them manually? last one shoul be more fun?! :D

Last edited:

em5

Jul 20, 2007
So I followed the instructions here and my wifi and my camera dont work. Now i only have the stock recovery since i dunno how to get clockwork or anything else since I cannot go to market and download it cause I have no data plan - and wifi is not working.

What do I do to restore to stock - any suggestions please. got fastboot and when I tried to do fastboot flash recovery or boot imgs it always says Remote Write FAIL error.

Please assist

jamiemac1977

Jan 7, 2011
London, UK
Just spotted this after using one of the other methods. Great stuff again paul ... Love your work on the tab too..

Now enjoying my 2nd android device ....it's crazy coming from Maemo ...it's an awesome OS but its lonely out there lol...

Android = many, many people o_O

Last edited:

Wingzer

Jul 23, 2010
Color much better but is it true, once superboot has being used the device cannot be put back to absolute factory settings/state ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Introducing.... Superboot! :)

Superboot is a boot.img that when flashed, will root your device the first time you boot (installing su and the superuser APK). No need to flash the system partition, no need to use ADB, no messing with the contents of your data partition, no overwriting the shipped ROM on your device, just flash the boot image using the instructions below and you're done!

APPLY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Before download, you need to check your device 'about' screen to determine which superboot version you need.
    • Superboot for GRI40 - Superboot with pre 2.3.3 colour configuration - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid Load Balancing) - MD5: 668d8eb2fa2ff6b7f9bd26f1aa4f7923
    • Superboot for GRI40 - Superboot - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid Load Balancing) - MD5: 6069ea0f4f04f2d35d4a868b4bb886fd
    • Superboot for GRH78 - Superboot - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid Load Balancing) - MD5: a0c8b769986876bf5cb079b2fd9309ff
    • Superboot for GRH55 - Superboot - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid Load Balancing) - MD5: 809a8e41ae8f0bb88b870cf1865aedff
    The superboot image is also 'insecure', allowing you to use 'adb remount' as well as having full ADB root access to your device.

How to use Superboot - Windows, Linux and OSX

- Download the Superboot zip file above and extract to a directory
    - Put your device in bootloader mode - Turn off the phone then turn on with the 'volume up' button pressed to enter the bootloader
    - WINDOWS - double click 'install-superboot-windows.bat'
    - MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-superboot-mac.sh' followed by './install-superboot-mac.sh'
    - LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-superboot-linux.sh' followed by './install-superboot-linux.sh'

Note: If you are using a retail Nexus S, you may need to unlock the bootloader first, using './fastboot-windows oem unlock' (or the appropriate version for your PC). Note that the OEM unlock sequence wipes your device (including the internal SD storage!)

Enjoy! :)

P
    The Beauty Of The Sleeping Giant: Nexus S

You can 'fastboot oem lock' on the Nexus S anyway!

P

Preach Brotha Man! Preach!​