FORUMS

[GUIDE] Root 2.3.3 On a Mac WITH OEM Unlock!

3,566 posts
Thanks Meter: 545

By kenvan19, Senior Member on 26th February 2011, 03:15 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
If you're looking for a guide on how to root on Windows, there is a fantastic guide here written by W0lv3r1n3!!

I know there is a stickied guide for this but it hasn't been updated since 2.3.1 so I decided to update it a little bit just to make things easier for people. Credit for this goes to Amin Sabet and DistortedLoop with a few changes/additions by me.

Warning: If you break your phone trying this, I am not responsible. I do not guarantee that the following is safe or that the steps are correct. Rooting your phone voids the warranty. I have no responsibility for anything that occurs as a result of your following these directions! I cannot provide any support nor guide you in undoing this process and restoring the phone to factory condition.

This process will wipe your phone. Ie, you will lose all your apps/data on your phone and have to reinstall them. It will also wipe your external storage, so back that up prior to proceeding if you want to keep anything.

1) Download this file (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22368847/adb-fastboot.zip) and unzip it to your desktop (Inside you'll find all the files you need to proceed including "adb", "fastboot", "recovery-clockwork-3.0.0.5-crespo.img", and "su-2.3.6.1-ef-signed.zip").

2) On your phone, go to Menu>Settings>Applications. Select "Development" and check the box next to "USB debugging"

3) Connect the phone to your Mac via the USB cable

4) Open a Terminal window on your Mac (Applications>Utilities>Terminal), and copy/paste the following into the Terminal:

Code:
~/Desktop/adb-fastboot/adb reboot bootloader
Hit "Return" and wait for your phone to to reboot into Bootloader/Fastboot mode

5) If your Bootloader screen says "LOCK STATE - UNLOCKED" then skip to Step 6. If it says "LOCK STATE - LOCKED" then copy/paste the following into the Terminal:

Code:
~/Desktop/adb-fastboot/fastboot oem unlock
Hit "Return" and on your phone will prompt you to confirm and warn you that you are going to lose everything. Confirm. At this point you will have an unlocked bootloader.

6) Copy/paste the following into the Terminal window:

Code:
~/Desktop/adb-fastboot/fastboot flash recovery ~/Desktop/adb-fastboot/recovery-clockwork-3.0.0.5-crespo.img
Hit "Return" again and wait for recovery to boot.

For the following steps while in Recovery, use "Volume Down" to highlight a selection and "Power" to choose that selection:

8) Choose "mounts and storage"

9) Choose "mount USB storage". Your phone should now be mounted on the Mac as a Device called "NO NAME"

10) Move the zip file "su-2.3.6.1-ef-signed.zip" from the "adb-fastboot" folder to the "NO NAME" Device on you computer.

11) Eject/unmount your phone in the Finder on your Mac.

12) On your phone, choose "Unmount"

13) Choose "mount /system"

14) Choose "+++++Go Back+++++"

15) Choose "install zip from sdcard"

16) Choose "choose zip from sdcard"

17) Choose "su-2.3.6.1-ef-signed.zip"

Some people with new Nexus S' are finding that the file discussed in the following steps does not exist. If you cannot find it but can still reboot into Clock Work Recovery Mod then don't worry, you're still rooted and fine!

At this point you have root, but your phone will continue to replace ClockworkMod Recovery on reboot. To prevent this, do the following:

1) Reboot your phone, and download the app "Root Explorer" from the Market

2) Open Root Explorer and navigate to the "etc" directory.

3) Tap on the gray box that says "Mount R/W"

4) Tap and hold on the file "install-recovery.sh" and rename this file to "install-recovery.sh.old"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Updated for ICS and included instructions in the zip!

5) Download the app "ROM Manager"

6) Open ROM Manager and choose "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery". At this point you are all set .
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to kenvan19 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kenvan19 Ad-Free
26th February 2011, 04:12 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Mods any chance we can get this stickied to replace the old one? There seems to be some confusion about using the old version to root.
The Following User Says Thank You to kenvan19 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kenvan19 Ad-Free
26th February 2011, 05:53 AM |#3  
Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 1,319

More
Nicely done.
26th February 2011, 06:11 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
any guides to root 2.3.3 for windows?
26th February 2011, 06:45 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by J__

any guides to root 2.3.3 for windows?

Honestly, its a very similar process. Just download a different version of the SDK and make sure you put the recovery image in the folder of the installed SDK called tools. Then when you get to executing the commands do this:

Code:
cd *remove the asterisks and type the file path to the directory for the tools folder of your SDK folder in program files*
Then remove the
Code:
desktop/adb-fastboot/
and just type the other parts.
The Following User Says Thank You to kenvan19 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kenvan19 Ad-Free
26th February 2011, 06:45 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlevy73

Nicely done.

You think its enough of a difference to switch this with the other stickied thread on rooting for a mac jlevy?
26th February 2011, 12:27 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 26

More
im getting this error message "cannot load 'recovery-clockwork-3.0.0.5-crespo.img'"

so stuck on step 6. any advice?

thanks

Also, curious because now I have an unlocked bootloader but nothing else has been done. This shouldn't be an issue I assume.....
26th February 2011, 09:51 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
I've never heard of someone having that issue. Try the command fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-3.0.0.5-crespo.img

Sent from my MattedBlues CM7 Google Nexus S!
26th February 2011, 11:05 PM |#9  
Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 1,319

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvan19

You think its enough of a difference to switch this with the other stickied thread on rooting for a mac jlevy?

I don't think it's enough but it would make a great add-on to the original rooting for mac thread.
26th February 2011, 11:26 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 26

More
-bash: fastboot: command not found
Is what it staid after trying that. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Have rooted several phones before.
26th February 2011, 11:31 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by owlmatt

-bash: fastboot: command not found
Is what it staid after trying that. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Have rooted several phones before.

Did you install the android SDK? I'm a little lost, I'm not sure what could be going wrong...I used this method to root both my and my wife's phones with no issues.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)