Holy Grab BAgs!!! The new 2.3.3 fixed my purplish tint issue!

Search This thread

silverwolf0

Apr 10, 2007
This bodes well for all Android superAmoled phones, present and future. The blue tint on white backgrounds is very apparent on all the youtube videos I've seen from various review sites, as well as personal experience with a Samsung Wave and Vibrant. Unless none of the reviewers got lucky enough to get a white/yellow screen that some users have reported, I would wager most* of the superAMOLED are blue and this fix flips the switch, helping most and screwing a few others.

But ultimately I don't think the screens really vary THAT much and it is really down to individual perception, some people more sensitive to blue and others to yellow. Someone needs to start a petition for multiple color profiles in Android or color controls. Every screen from TVs to laptop screens can be calibrated. Mobile devices need to get into the game. People actually watch movies on them now.

benrees21

May 31, 2010
Grays
I've always said there should be multiple colour profiles because then everyone is happy. Don't know what it would take to implement that though.

Sent from my Nexus S using stock Android 2.3.3 and XDA App.

princeasi

Sep 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Google is so sloppy, this is something that should have been addressed when launching a device, not two months after users have gotten accustomed to things.

I agree with this guy here, Google should've addressed this before launching this device and probably they wouldn't be having as many complaints about the new color adjustment. When I first purchased the NS, I knew right off the color balance was incorrect from my previous experience with the N1.

Sent from my Nexus S

mingkee

A screen capture application would do no good. It would capture the same image regardless of the kernel and display drivers. The image remains the same, the way the image is displayed is what changes. If you took screenshots with 2.3.2, 2.3.3, and voodoo color, they all all look the exact same on your computer.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

No, it does work. As I said to compare the screen capture on the computer with the phone.
I have about 10 phones to compare with NS 2.3.3 and I found NS is simply too "soft" for my taste.
The winamp widget should show dark grey and it shows correctly with other Android devices, but it shows light grey on NS.
Some may run the screen test under "soft white" environment so the "white" screen shows more blueish, but I tested under true daylight (same whiteness as outdoor in sunny day) environment so I can tell the color has really changed.
No matter 2.3.3 does some minor improvement for me (music control with iphone headset works), I may go back to 2.3.2 in order to get the color fits my requirement, but I have to keep the updated radio because cellular radio crashing problem apparently fixed.
The worst situation I simply sell my NS, no big deal.

benrees21

May 31, 2010
Grays
Now I've been using it awhile the yellow tint has disappeared. Whites look white. It takes a few days for your eyes to get used to it because your eyes are used to seeing more light blue. On my TV I have it on a "cool" setting which I thought looked best but it was because it adds more light blue to the colours. Trust me when I say the colours are better now.

mythamp

Nov 2, 2009
Toronto
www.munakib.com
I must also agree, the nexus s looks much better with this color update. I am a long time themer and also a graphics designer. Take it from me, google did the right job with bringing the phone to a more realistic color scheme. Just put an iphone 4 beside your nexus s on 2.3.2 and you could tell, somethings not right about the color on it. Now it looks much better. good job Google and android man.

phi303

Jan 2, 2011
Arvada
phinguyen.squarespace.com
I must also agree, the nexus s looks much better with this color update. I am a long time themer and also a graphics designer. Take it from me, google did the right job with bringing the phone to a more realistic color scheme. Just put an iphone 4 beside your nexus s on 2.3.2 and you could tell, somethings not right about the color on it. Now it looks much better. good job Google and android man.

agreed, as a graphic designer and an avid home theater enthusiast (TV Color calibration) the new color correction definitely is "truer" color - going from the cooler tint to a warmer tint was a bit hard after seeing it like that for so long but its a better color match

very similar to how HDTVs are set in stores and when you color correct them at home they're not so bright and over saturated

SupaDupaFly24

Feb 7, 2008
Those complaining about the color change give it time, Its been about 2 weeks since I updated and I don't even notice the yellow tint anymore. Whites are now white, and colors look more accurate.

princeasi

Sep 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I had posted this in another thread. This for some of the newbies. " The reason why colors looks washed out to some after the update is because, before the update most of us was used to the grays being purplish, so alot of images that had this certain shade of gray would display purplish. Now after the update, those images that we're used to looking at with the purplish issue are now all of a sudden displaying it's true color of grays, which causes the images to appear washed out. The update does provide the correct color calibrations. Also keep in mind the these screens are not consistently manufactured the same. So even tho the update provides the correct color calibration, the outcome still may vary depending on the condition of the manufactured screen which explains why some are experiencing extreme yellowish discoloration. "

Sent from my Nexus S

benrees21

May 31, 2010
Grays
Just on a side note, I've noticed that some things that were coloured black before now seem to be dark green with black patches and vise versa. Has anyone else noticed this? Not in Android itself but like cover art I've downloaded for my music is showing this and a wallpaper I downloaded as well.

j0hnZ

Nov 10, 2009
Seattle
Add me to the list of people who don't care if it's natural or not, I want it to look good to my eyes. So I'm thankful for supercurio and Voodoo.

blue.png