[I9020T][REF] All OTA and Available Full ROM Packages

Search This thread

oldblue910

Jan 1, 2011
Durham, NC
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I HAVE CEASED UPDATING THIS THEAD.

The old information contained below will remain for posterity, but will no longer be updated. From this point forward, all updates to this information will be found at http://www.randomphantasmagoria.com/firmware/nexus-s
Below is a list of all available OTA and full ROM packages for the Nexus S, model I9020T.

THIS IS FOR I9020T ONLY. IF YOU HAVE ANOTHER VARIANT, PLEASE FIND THE THREAD FOR YOUR VARIANT.

Typical disclaimer where I tell you that all of this stuff is at your own risk and I'm not responsible if you mess up your phone, yadda yadda.

These updates are 100% stock and are NOT rooted.

HOW TO FLASH

I'm not giving instructions on how to flash ZIP files or fastboot images. If you don't know how to do that, you probably shouldn't be looking for stuff in this thread. There are plenty of threads on how to flash fastboot images or how to flash zips through recovery. Do a little reading before proceeding.

The recovery-flashable full ROM packages will only flash if your phone has no ROM, any custom ROM, or a stock ROM that's older than the version you're trying to flash. For instance, the 2.3.4 full ROM package will flash over the stock 2.3.1 ROM, but not over the stock 2.3.6 ROM.

With fastboot images, you can flash any version over any other version.

WHAT HAPPENS IF I GET AN ERROR WHILE FLASHING?

If you get an error flashing a recovery-flashable full ROM package, it means that you are running a stock ROM that's newer than the version you're trying to flash. If you're trying to downgrade, then you must install ClockworkMod recovery, then wipe system, boot, data, cache, and Dalvik cache. You will then be able to flash the older version. Optionally, you can also flash fastboot images of a version older than the version you're trying to flash.

If you get an error flashing an incremental update, it means one of four things. Either you don't have an I9020T, you aren't running a stock ROM, you have changed something with your stock ROM (this includes build.prop changes, radio or bootloader changes as well), or you're running Android 4.X and trying to update manually. These incremental updates only work if you are running a completely, perfectly stock ROM exactly the way Google provides it, with the right radio and the right bootloader. There are no exceptions to this rule. Furthermore, Android 4.X ROMs can no longer be updated manually in stock recovery. See below.

A NOTE ABOUT ANDROID 4.X OTAs

Beginning with Ice Cream Sandwich, Google has made a change to stock recovery that prevents you from flashing future OTA updates manually. Instead you are now required to wait for the OTA notification on your phone and then tap "Reboot and Install."

If this pisses you off, you have the option of unlocking your bootloader, installing either a stock Gingerbread recovery or ClockworkMod recovery, and then flashing the OTA updates manually.

LATEST VERSION

The latest Android version available for I9020T is Ice Cream Sandwich version 4.0.4, build IMM76D.

BUILD REFERENCE

GRH55 - Android 2.3
GRH78 - Android 2.3.1
GRH78C - Android 2.3.2
GRI40 - Android 2.3.3
GRI54 - Android 2.3.3 (shipped on some non-USA I9020T devices)
GRJ22 - Android 2.3.4
GRK39F - Android 2.3.6
IML74K - Android 4.0.3
IMM76D - Android 4.0.4

FULL ROMS

FASTBOOT IMAGES

If you're comfortable with fastboot, you can flash these images to return your phone back to raw stock. FLASHING FASTBOOT IMAGES WILL ERASE ALL OF YOUR PHONE'S DATA AND WILL RETURN YOU TO A FACTORY STOCK, UNROOTED STATE.

Android 2.3.1/GRH78/XXJK8 Radio/JK1 Bootloader
Official factory fastboot images, must be flashed using fastboot on an unlocked bootloader. Contains recovery, radio, and bootloader.
THESE IMAGES MUST BE FLASHED USING BOOTLOADER VERSIONS I9020XXJK1 OR I9020XXKA3

Android 2.3.3/GRI40/XXKB1 Radio/KA3 Bootloader
Official factory fastboot images, must be flashed using fastboot on an unlocked bootloader. Contains recovery, radio, and bootloader.
THESE IMAGES MUST BE FLASHED USING BOOTLOADER VERSIONS I9020XXJK1, I9020XXKA3, OR I9020XXKL1

Android 2.3.3/GRI54/XXKB3 Radio/KA3 Bootloader
THESE IMAGES MUST BE FLASHED USING BOOTLOADER VERSIONS I9020XXJK1, I9020XXKA3, OR I9020XXKL1

Android 2.3.4/GRJ22/XXKD1 Radio/KA3 Bootloader
THESE IMAGES MUST BE FLASHED USING BOOTLOADER VERSIONS I9020XXJK1, I9020XXKA3, or I9020XXKL1

Android 4.0.4/IMM76D/XXKI1 Radio/KL1 Bootloader

RECOVERY-FLASHABLE ROMS

Android 2.3/GRH55/XXJK8 Radio/JK1 Bootloader
Unofficial, unsigned, must flash through ClockworkMod Recovery. Contains recovery, radio and bootloader.

Unofficial, unsigned, must flash through ClockworkMod Recovery. Contains recovery, radio and bootloader.

Android 2.3.2/GRH78C/XXJK8 Radio/JK1 Bootloader

Official, signed, can flash with ClockworkMod or stock recovery. Contains recovery, radio and bootloader.

Official, signed, can flash with ClockworkMod or stock recovery. Contains recovery, radio and bootloader.

Android 2.3.6/GRK39F/XXKF1 Radio/KA3 Bootloader

Android 4.0.3/IML74K/XXKI1 Radio/KL1 Bootloader

Courtesy of XDA forum member kibmcz.

INCREMENTAL UPDATES

The links provided here are to Google's official update package for each version. Sometimes Google provides a small incremental update package for upgrading between versions, other times they just provide full ROM packages for bigger version upgrades. For instance, Google pushed a small incremental update to upgrade from 2.3.4 to 2.3.6. If your phone was running 2.3.1, there is no 2.3.1 to 2.3.6 incremental update, so Google would push the 2.3.6 full ROM package.

If you don't see an upgrade path from your version to your desired version, it means you need to use a full ROM package above instead.

Android 2.3 (Build GRH55/XXJK8 Radio/JK1 Bootloader)
2.3 -> 2.3.1

Android 2.3.1 (Build GRH78/XXJK8 Radio/JK1 Bootloader)
2.3.1 -> 2.3.2
2.3.1 -> 2.3.3 (GRI40)
2.3.1 -> 4.0.4

Android 2.3.2 (Build GRH78C/XXJK8 Radio/JK1 Bootloader)
2.3.2 -> 2.3.3 (GRI40)
2.3.2 -> 2.3.4

Android 2.3.3 (Build GRI40/XXKB1 Radio/KA3 Bootloader)
2.3.3 (GRI40) -> 2.3.4

Android 2.3.3 (Build GRI54/XXKB3 Radio/KA3 Bootloader)
Neither of these following OTA updates actually work. Both of them require an unknown radio, and will fail if you try to flash them on a phone running 2.3.3/GRI54 with the XXKB3 baseband. The 2.3.3->2.3.4 update has since been pulled by Google and the link is only provided here for posterity and reference. The only way to properly update 2.3.3/GRI54 is to flash a full ROM over it.

2.3.3 (GRI54) -> 2.3.4 (Update requires an unknown radio and will NOT update build GRI54 with XXKB3 radio.)
2.3.3 (GRI54) -> 4.0.4 (Update requires an unknown radio and will NOT update build GRI54 with XXKB3 radio.)

Android 2.3.4 (Build GRJ22/XXKD1 Radio/KA3 Bootloader)
2.3.4 -> 2.3.6
2.3.4 -> 4.0.4

Android 2.3.6 (Build GRK39F/XXKF1 Radio/KA3 Bootloader)
2.3.6 -> 4.0.3
2.3.6 -> 4.0.4

Android 4.0.3 (Build IML74K/XXKI1 Radio/KL1 Bootloader)
4.0.3 -> 4.0.4

Last edited:

zrutichun

Jan 15, 2012
Is There An Official Repository For These ROM Packages?

I am from the west coast of the US and received the OTA ICS update on my Nexus S. I have been waiting for this update just as many of us but I was concerned about the battery issues the update caused for other users... finally I applied the update.
My battery with moderate usage lasted about two days (applications installed: Orbot, Firefox, Skype) with Gingerbread latest version. I was very satisfied with the performance of the device. After the upgrade to ICS 4.0.3 my battery life went to 9 hours at most.
I have read many forums on the net but none give a definitive explanation on the issue. Finally I found one that explained some known CPU bug.
I decided to downgrade to Gingerbread but could not find the official stock ROM.

Thank you very much for posting them. :)
Is there an official repository for these versions?

_android_

Jan 15, 2011
Toronto
The explanation of what each model variant is (eg. I9020T, AWS/2100, T-mobile, Windmobile, Mobilicity...) is missing from the main and sub thread.

Reactions: mrjimyjohn

mrjimyjohn

Dec 25, 2011
toronto
Updated from 2.3.4 Gingerbread to ICS, everything is running smooth except the android market won't work over 3G. (works fine with a wifi connection) Any suggestions on what might be causing the problem?

oldblue910

Jan 1, 2011
Durham, NC
I've been told that it's usually a good idea to run the right radio paired with the right ROM. Is there some reason why you want to run XXKF1 with IML74K?

etrain2

Jan 17, 2012
Wuhan
theetrain.ca
I've been told that it's usually a good idea to run the right radio paired with the right ROM. Is there some reason why you want to run XXKF1 with IML74K?

I'm not sure if your comment was directed towards me, but I thought by matching the Build Number, I could have a nice upgrade. I can't attach images, but my information are as follows:

Android Version: 2.3.6
Baseband Version: I9020XXKF1
Build Number: GRK39F

I'm also not rooted.

sysadmn

Jan 13, 2012
Also, check Market settings. There is an "Update over Wi-Fi only" checkbox. I don't remember if 2.3 had that or not.

jebarooney

Jan 31, 2012
@mrjimyjohn

To fix the 3G Market downloads problem on Mobilicity, go to Settings -> Wireless -> Mobile Networks -> Access Point Names.

Click on the MOWAP and MOMMS entries and delete anything that’s in the proxy field for each one.

You may need to reboot after doing this to see a change.

eben0

Dec 4, 2010
Hi,
ia hve cyanogen 7 ver. 2.3.7
and the baseband is I9020XXKD1.

can i flash stock 2.3.6 and then flash ics with the posted links?

eben0

Dec 4, 2010
so.. can i flash the stock 4.0.3 via the recovery without going back to stock 2.3.6 ?

jkyfrm

Feb 24, 2012
Hi I have a nexus s i9020. is it different from i9020T or i9020A? Which one should I use for my device?

bozzykid

May 1, 2011
Hi I have a nexus s i9020. is it different from i9020T or i9020A? Which one should I use for my device?

If it doesn't have a A (check behind the battery), then it is a i9020T. They just use the T & A to distinguish in the US between the T-Mobile and AT&T versions since they support different bands but the T is implied unless it is the A version.

markkeny

Mar 12, 2007
Could you give me a few pointers please....

I bought my google nexus s from carphone warehouse and its on the vodafone network in the UK.

The details from the phone are:
Android version 2.3.6
Baseband version I9020XXKF1
Kernel version 2.6.35.7-gf5f63ef android-build@apa28 #1
Build number GRK39F

My phone has not been rooted, and is completely stock (apart for the apps ive installed). The only updates that have been applied are those that come OTA. Im doing this because Vodafone UK seem to have no interest in updating the nexus s with the latest ICS.

From looking at these threads, I think this thread has the correct software to download and install on the phone, so I downloaded the incremental update 2.3.6 > 4.0.3 - firstly could you confirm that this is the correct rom ?

So then I renamed the file to update.zip, and copied it onto the root of the sd card.

I then powered off the phone and turned it back on whilst holding the power button and volume up to get to the bootloader.

I selected recovery and then phone reboots and shows the google logo for a second or two, then a box being unpacked for a second, and then an exclamation mark with a droid underneath it.

Could someone please give me some pointers as to what Im doing wrong here ? If its a stock update, then I dont think I have to unlock the bootloader.

I can then pull the battery and it will reboot as normal.

Thanks in advance.

DarkhShadow

Sep 25, 2011
Essex
I bought my google nexus s from carphone warehouse and its on the vodafone network in the UK.

Android version 2.3.6
Build number GRK39F

My phone has not been rooted, and is completely stock (apart for the apps ive installed). The only updates that have been applied are those that come OTA. Im doing this because Vodafone UK seem to have no interest in updating the nexus s with the latest ICS.

From looking at these threads, I think this thread has the correct software to download and install on the phone, so I downloaded the incremental update 2.3.6 > 4.0.3 - firstly could you confirm that this is the correct rom ?

So then I renamed the file to update.zip, and copied it onto the root of the sd card.

I then powered off the phone and turned it back on whilst holding the power button and volume up to get to the bootloader.

I selected recovery and then phone reboots and shows the google logo for a second or two, then a box being unpacked for a second, and then an exclamation mark with a droid underneath it.

Could someone please give me some pointers as to what Im doing wrong here ? If its a stock update, then I dont think I have to unlock the bootloader.

Thanks in advance.

Once you choose recovery hold volume down and tap power once the Droid pops up, then it should enter, oh and fyi our updates come from Google directly, not carries

Sent from my ice cream powered Nexus S

Reactions: Harbb

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I HAVE CEASED UPDATING THIS THEAD.

The old information contained below will remain for posterity, but will no longer be updated. From this point forward, all updates to this information will be found at http://www.randomphantasmagoria.com/firmware/nexus-s
    Below is a list of all available OTA and full ROM packages for the Nexus S, model I9020T.

THIS IS FOR I9020T ONLY. IF YOU HAVE ANOTHER VARIANT, PLEASE FIND THE THREAD FOR YOUR VARIANT.

Typical disclaimer where I tell you that all of this stuff is at your own risk and I'm not responsible if you mess up your phone, yadda yadda.

These updates are 100% stock and are NOT rooted.

HOW TO FLASH

I'm not giving instructions on how to flash ZIP files or fastboot images. If you don't know how to do that, you probably shouldn't be looking for stuff in this thread. There are plenty of threads on how to flash fastboot images or how to flash zips through recovery. Do a little reading before proceeding.

The recovery-flashable full ROM packages will only flash if your phone has no ROM, any custom ROM, or a stock ROM that's older than the version you're trying to flash. For instance, the 2.3.4 full ROM package will flash over the stock 2.3.1 ROM, but not over the stock 2.3.6 ROM.

With fastboot images, you can flash any version over any other version.

WHAT HAPPENS IF I GET AN ERROR WHILE FLASHING?

If you get an error flashing a recovery-flashable full ROM package, it means that you are running a stock ROM that's newer than the version you're trying to flash. If you're trying to downgrade, then you must install ClockworkMod recovery, then wipe system, boot, data, cache, and Dalvik cache. You will then be able to flash the older version. Optionally, you can also flash fastboot images of a version older than the version you're trying to flash.

If you get an error flashing an incremental update, it means one of four things. Either you don't have an I9020T, you aren't running a stock ROM, you have changed something with your stock ROM (this includes build.prop changes, radio or bootloader changes as well), or you're running Android 4.X and trying to update manually. These incremental updates only work if you are running a completely, perfectly stock ROM exactly the way Google provides it, with the right radio and the right bootloader. There are no exceptions to this rule. Furthermore, Android 4.X ROMs can no longer be updated manually in stock recovery. See below.

A NOTE ABOUT ANDROID 4.X OTAs

Beginning with Ice Cream Sandwich, Google has made a change to stock recovery that prevents you from flashing future OTA updates manually. Instead you are now required to wait for the OTA notification on your phone and then tap "Reboot and Install."

If this pisses you off, you have the option of unlocking your bootloader, installing either a stock Gingerbread recovery or ClockworkMod recovery, and then flashing the OTA updates manually.

LATEST VERSION

The latest Android version available for I9020T is Ice Cream Sandwich version 4.0.4, build IMM76D.

BUILD REFERENCE

GRH55 - Android 2.3
    GRH78 - Android 2.3.1
    GRH78C - Android 2.3.2
    GRI40 - Android 2.3.3
    GRI54 - Android 2.3.3 (shipped on some non-USA I9020T devices)
    GRJ22 - Android 2.3.4
    GRK39F - Android 2.3.6
    IML74K - Android 4.0.3
    IMM76D - Android 4.0.4

FULL ROMS

FASTBOOT IMAGES

If you're comfortable with fastboot, you can flash these images to return your phone back to raw stock. FLASHING FASTBOOT IMAGES WILL ERASE ALL OF YOUR PHONE'S DATA AND WILL RETURN YOU TO A FACTORY STOCK, UNROOTED STATE.

THESE IMAGES MUST BE FLASHED USING BOOTLOADER VERSIONS I9020XXJK1 OR I9020XXKA3

THESE IMAGES MUST BE FLASHED USING BOOTLOADER VERSIONS I9020XXJK1, I9020XXKA3, or I9020XXKL1

RECOVERY-FLASHABLE ROMS

Android 2.3/GRH55/XXJK8 Radio/JK1 Bootloader

Android 2.3.2/GRH78C/XXJK8 Radio/JK1 Bootloader

Android 2.3.6/GRK39F/XXKF1 Radio/KA3 Bootloader

Android 4.0.3/IML74K/XXKI1 Radio/KL1 Bootloader

Courtesy of XDA forum member kibmcz.

INCREMENTAL UPDATES

The links provided here are to Google's official update package for each version. Sometimes Google provides a small incremental update package for upgrading between versions, other times they just provide full ROM packages for bigger version upgrades. For instance, Google pushed a small incremental update to upgrade from 2.3.4 to 2.3.6. If your phone was running 2.3.1, there is no 2.3.1 to 2.3.6 incremental update, so Google would push the 2.3.6 full ROM package.

If you don't see an upgrade path from your version to your desired version, it means you need to use a full ROM package above instead.

Android 2.3 (Build GRH55/XXJK8 Radio/JK1 Bootloader)
    2.3 -> 2.3.1

Android 2.3.1 (Build GRH78/XXJK8 Radio/JK1 Bootloader)
    2.3.1 -> 2.3.2
    2.3.1 -> 2.3.3 (GRI40)
    2.3.1 -> 4.0.4

Android 2.3.2 (Build GRH78C/XXJK8 Radio/JK1 Bootloader)
    2.3.2 -> 2.3.3 (GRI40)
    2.3.2 -> 2.3.4

Android 2.3.3 (Build GRI40/XXKB1 Radio/KA3 Bootloader)
    2.3.3 (GRI40) -> 2.3.4

Android 2.3.3 (Build GRI54/XXKB3 Radio/KA3 Bootloader)
    Neither of these following OTA updates actually work. Both of them require an unknown radio, and will fail if you try to flash them on a phone running 2.3.3/GRI54 with the XXKB3 baseband. The 2.3.3->2.3.4 update has since been pulled by Google and the link is only provided here for posterity and reference. The only way to properly update 2.3.3/GRI54 is to flash a full ROM over it.

2.3.3 (GRI54) -> 2.3.4 (Update requires an unknown radio and will NOT update build GRI54 with XXKB3 radio.)
    2.3.3 (GRI54) -> 4.0.4 (Update requires an unknown radio and will NOT update build GRI54 with XXKB3 radio.)

Android 2.3.4 (Build GRJ22/XXKD1 Radio/KA3 Bootloader)
    2.3.4 -> 2.3.6
    2.3.4 -> 4.0.4

Android 2.3.6 (Build GRK39F/XXKF1 Radio/KA3 Bootloader)
    2.3.6 -> 4.0.3
    2.3.6 -> 4.0.4

Android 4.0.3 (Build IML74K/XXKI1 Radio/KL1 Bootloader)
    4.0.3 -> 4.0.4
    The explanation of what each model variant is (eg. I9020T, AWS/2100, T-mobile, Windmobile, Mobilicity...) is missing from the main and sub thread.

Android version 2.3.6
    Build number GRK39F

Thanks in advance.

Once you choose recovery hold volume down and tap power once the Droid pops up, then it should enter, oh and fyi our updates come from Google directly, not carries

Sent from my ice cream powered Nexus S
    @markkeny: Hold the power button and either volume up or volume down. This will get you past that splash screen with the android and exclamation mark, then continue with the updating. If it's not vol. up, it's vol. down, it's been way too long since i've done it.
    GRI54 -> IMM76D:
    android.clients.google.com/packages/ota/google_crespo/Qq8Q7Y36.zip