FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Nexus S - i9023 Super Clear LCD

643 posts
Thanks Meter: 103

By Androyed, Senior Member on 20th January 2011, 04:08 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I think it is time for a separate thread about the i9023 Nexus S. The majority here is probably from the US, but I keep seeing flags from European countries at this forum.

So what is this i9023 Nexus S? A new and improved Nexus S? There were many speculations on the internet, like a 4G version, just a new Nexus or an improved Nexus S. I for one always thought that it would be the Super Clear LCD version of the Nexus S. Because of the shortage of Super AMOLED's, Google announced that most other countries besides the US and the UK would get a Super Clear LCD version: a Super LCD that's supposed to have some of the advantages of Super AMOLED, like a better viewing angle. It is a lot better than most Super LCD's, as you can tell if you look at the Wave II, the only existing smartphone that has the same display.

Most people on the internet still don't know that the i9023 is just the Super Clear LCD Nexus S, and are afraid that it will be a new Nexus and that Google will let the current Nexus S users in the dust. I found an offer at Belsimpel.nl, a Dutch webshop. It says it is selling the Google Nexus S i9023 Black Silver, and in description they are talking about the Super Clear LCD. Price: 500 euro. Release date in the Netherlands: March (7 weeks). I've asked them a question about the 'Black Silver', on which they answered that the device looks exactly the same as the normal Nexus S. Anyway, Belsimpel.nl also sells the US version of the Nexus S, with English menu's, Super AMOLED and a ridiculously high price, for anyone who don't want to wait 'till March. So there is a difference.

I'm really looking forward to March, because I'm totally in love with the Super Clear LCD. It looks gorgeous on the Wave II, and I think it is definitely better than Super AMOLED. Before we start a display war: I do like the colour saturation and the deep blacks of Super AMOLED, but I just prefer the advantages of Super Clear LCD.

So here you can talk about the i9023 Nexus S, the version most other countries will get. Talk about release dates in your countries, prices, and what you like about the display!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Androyed For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Androyed Ad-Free

20th January 2011, 05:53 PM |#2  
Flag chandigarh
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Smile
Heard that some parts of Asia would be getting this i9023 too.
So,definitely its going to be cheaper by 50-60$ or something.
But march ...
20th January 2011, 06:16 PM |#3  
Flag Memphis
Thanks Meter: 251

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Androyed

Most people on the internet still don't know that the i9023 is just the Super Clear LCD Nexus S

And where exactly did you get this from? Some random webshop claiming to sell a super LCD version in March? With all due respect, I'll take that with a grain of salt. I doubt that there's a new Nexus with 4g and what-not, but at the same time I'm skeptical that any hardware has changed.

Your post implies that you have some sort of insider knowledge and that this is a sure thing, and I don't buy it.
20th January 2011, 06:48 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmv

And where exactly did you get this from? Some random webshop claiming to sell a super LCD version in March? With all due respect, I'll take that with a grain of salt. I doubt that there's a new Nexus with 4g and what-not, but at the same time I'm skeptical that any hardware has changed.

Your post implies that you have some sort of insider knowledge and that this is a sure thing, and I don't buy it.

I have to admit, I'm not a 100% procent sure about this. There are a couple of things though that I'm sure off:

1. There will be a Super Clear LCD version. Not only in Russia; a Dutch site asked Samsung and they said that the Netherlands would also get Super Clear LCD. I suppose a lot of countries will get it, because of the shortage and all.
2. This webshop 'Belsimpel.nl' is a pretty big one here in the Netherlands, it is not really just a 'random webshop'. I know that what's big here, is tiny in the US, but they are always the first when it comes to smartphones. You can even pre-order the LG Optimus 2x now, which will be released here a week after the Nexus S.
3. I've asked them (Belsimpel) to be a 100% sure, and they confirmed it.

Combine those things, and it becomes very namely that this i9023 Nexus S will be the Super Clear LCD version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgo_sabby7

Heard that some parts of Asia would be getting this i9023 too.
So,definitely its going to be cheaper by 50-60$ or something.
But march ...

For some strange reason the Nexus line is a little bit expensive. I don't care, but I can't help but wonder: why is the LG Optimus 2x 45 euro cheaper than the Nexus S at Belsimpel.nl?

I don't really expect a price drop because of the Super Clear LCD, although Super AMOLED is more expensive to produce.

March sucks, I know. With the Nexus One it was not different. It was actually later, in June! By the time it was June, I had lost my interest: one of the main reasons I didn't buy the Nexus One. But I definitely want that Super Clear LCD, so now it is worth the wait! Hopefully they got rid of most of the bugs by that time, that would be another plus.
20th January 2011, 06:55 PM |#5  
Flag Memphis
Thanks Meter: 251

More
OK, thanks for the reference to engadget. I hope I didn't come off as an ass; I just didn't buy it without any reputable references whatsoever. I actually didn't notice your link to it in the first post. I'm curious as to whether this will hit the US. Regardless, I'm not taking my NS back or switching it out, unless Sammy came out with a brand new one with 4g, and I'd be selling mine to get a different brand phone because I'd feel cheated.
20th January 2011, 07:13 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmv

OK, thanks for the reference to engadget. I hope I didn't come off as an ass; I just didn't buy it without any reputable references whatsoever. I actually didn't notice your link to it in the first post. I'm curious as to whether this will hit the US. Regardless, I'm not taking my NS back or switching it out, unless Sammy came out with a brand new one with 4g, and I'd be selling mine to get a different brand phone because I'd feel cheated.

Doesn't matter, if I were you I would be sceptical too. I already thought you, and others, would not know that there was actually going to be a Super Clear LCD, so that's why I've put a couple of links in the first post.

I don't know about whether it will go to the US. The Nexus One did come with AMOLED to all countries, including the Netherlands, but after a while they started selling S-LCD versions. Now, with the Nexus S, it only comes with Super AMOLED in two countries (maybe more), and most countries will never get to see a Super AMOLED version. So maybe you are lucky this time (or unlucky, depending on your taste in displays), and the Nexus S will always have Super AMOLED as long as it is for sale in the US and the UK.
21st January 2011, 04:47 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Two new release dates!

- India - Early February. Price unknown. Strange thing though: they are talking about a i9003 version with Super Clear LCD. A quick search on Google with 'gt-i9003' brings you to this, which says that it is a Nexus S, release date Feb 2011 and display 'Super AMOLED. It gets stranger though: someone at the Galaxy S forums says it is the Russian version with Super Clear LCD, and searching that brings you here. I don't get it anymore...
- Canada - March. Price unknown.

There are now two 'new' Nexus S at FCC: the GT-i9023, and the GT-i9003, which was already known in November 2010. Then it was thought to be a Galaxy S series phone.

We'll just have to wait untill February and March, to see if they are not just the same.
21st January 2011, 07:11 PM |#8  
San Diego
Thanks Meter: 28

More
anything compatible with ATT 3G bands yet?
21st January 2011, 08:11 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 545

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by denimjunkie82

anything compatible with ATT 3G bands yet?

There has been speculation that Bell in Canada might be getting one of the Canada versions which would have the same bands as AT&T in America to my understanding so maybe in March you'll be able to go up to our northerly neighbors and get one.
21st January 2011, 08:30 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
As for the i9003/i9023, I think the i9023 is the real one, although the internet says different, except for that Dutch webshop. I think this because the original Nexus S is i9020, so it seems logical that a Super Clear LCD version would be i9023. Strange thing that they get a i9003 Nexus S in India. May be a type error?

The i9003 looks more like a Galaxy S series phone, since i9000 was the Galaxy S. When the i9003 first showed up at FCC, everyone thought it would be a Galaxy S series phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to Androyed For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Androyed Ad-Free
25th January 2011, 04:57 PM |#11  
Flag Milan
Thanks Meter: 234

More
Samsung Italy said:

- Super Clear LCD (instead of Super AMOLED)
- 720p HD video recording (!)

I think they could be wrong about 720p recording, however Samsung Italy said this.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
google, i9023, nexus s, samsung, super clear lcd

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)