Who will be purchasing a Nexus S?

Search This thread

itrustme

Aug 1, 2010
miami
my first smartphone ever was a nexus one. I sold it for $400(worst mistake ever) and purchased a vibrant. I love my vibrant but to be honest the nexus was just a lot more stable all around. I sold my nexus thinking all android phones receive the same software treatment so naturally i went with the best hardware to date. Now the nexus s coming out, which i was hoping wouldve atleast had hspa+ but nonetheless its a vibrant with a ffc and flash but most importantly google supported which sounds like a must have to me. Now my question is this being that the nexus s is the same exact hardware will the vibrant have the same performance as the nexus s when it gets updated to gingerbread? Should i get a Nexus S or wait to see what the new year has in store?

Anderdroid

Dec 25, 2009
Palo Alto
ninjafighteronline.com
my first smartphone ever was a nexus one. I sold it for $400(worst mistake ever) and purchased a vibrant. I love my vibrant but to be honest the nexus was just a lot more stable all around. I sold my nexus thinking all android phones receive the same software treatment so naturally i went with the best hardware to date. Now the nexus s coming out, which i was hoping wouldve atleast had hspa+ but nonetheless its a vibrant with a ffc and flash but most importantly google supported which sounds like a must have to me. Now my question is this being that the nexus s is the same exact hardware will the vibrant have the same performance as the nexus s when it gets updated to gingerbread? Should i get a Nexus S or wait to see what the new year has in store?

Really? I feel the opposite. My Vibrant leaves my Nexus One on the shelf, collecting dust.

Other than that. Nexus S ftw. I was very let-down about the lack of the Orion and the lack of HSPA+ but it's cool.

In all honesty, Nexus S supports up to 7.2mbps. G2 supports up to 14.4mbps.

I have gotten 7.2mbps on my Vibrant and 10mbps on my G2.

If you're getting under 7.2mbps already, HSPA+ doesn't matter. Even then... 7.2 is plenty. The HSPA+ isn't big enough of a jump...yet.

With all this said: I will be at Best Buy on the 16th.

backslide311

Jul 15, 2010
Colorado Springs
I'm still on the fence! I might just wait and see if they can get a "GOOD" port to the Vibrant (my current device). If they can't seem to than I will buy one!

itrustme

Aug 1, 2010
miami
If u already have mt4g and use/expecting 4G in ur area. I dont see any reason why u shouldn't stick with mt4g. Its an amazing phone sans the loooks. Its ugly !! But technology > looks :)

Really? I feel the opposite. My Vibrant leaves my Nexus One on the shelf, collecting dust.

Other than that. Nexus S ftw. I was very let-down about the lack of the Orion and the lack of HSPA+ but it's cool.

In all honesty, Nexus S supports up to 7.2mbps. G2 supports up to 14.4mbps.

I have gotten 7.2mbps on my Vibrant and 10mbps on my G2.

If you're getting under 7.2mbps already, HSPA+ doesn't matter. Even then... 7.2 is plenty. The HSPA+ isn't big enough of a jump...yet.

With all this said: I will be at Best Buy on the 16th.

I really want the nexus s . bad. But id be extremely upset if 2 things were to happen , first being the vibrant getting 2.3 and performing exactly the same way as the nexus. and 2nd being when the new year arrives a dual core galaxy comes out only 2-3 months after purchasing the nexus s.

neok44

May 19, 2009
Florida

the performance will not be equal from the vibrant with 2.3 and the nexus s with 2.3

First off, this is assuming the vibrant gets 2.3, which god knows when that will be.

Basically the vibrant will always be running touchwiz software and use samsungs file system instead of the default google. both of these bring down the speed a bit, or a lot in some peoples.

My dad's vibrant runs smooth as can be, but even then there are sometimes where scrolling certain things can bring lag because of touchwiz.

the Nexus S, because it's running stock android, should perform perfectly smooth constantly because google has designed it that way, and the early tests from techcrunch and engadget say that it's the fastest phone they've ever used.

vapotrini

Dec 31, 2004
the performance will not be equal from the vibrant with 2.3 and the nexus s with 2.3

First off, this is assuming the vibrant gets 2.3, which god knows when that will be.

Basically the vibrant will always be running touchwiz software and use samsungs file system instead of the default google. both of these bring down the speed a bit, or a lot in some peoples.

My dad's vibrant runs smooth as can be, but even then there are sometimes where scrolling certain things can bring lag because of touchwiz.

the Nexus S, because it's running stock android, should perform perfectly smooth constantly because google has designed it that way, and the early tests from techcrunch and engadget say that it's the fastest phone they've ever used.

That's not necessarily true at all. There are many vibrant roms where touchwiz has been completely removed. And it's more than likely we'll eventually see a very close port on the Vibrant thanks to the devs here.

Infact, I'd say both of his concerns have an extremely high chance of coming true.

itrustme

Aug 1, 2010
miami

yes they did say it was the fastest compared to other android phones. But the reviews and hands on articles all agree that its still not up to par with the iphones responsiveness and overall ui speed. Im not saying its a deal breaker for me but i was expecting the nexus s to be god of the cellphone world. Naturally one would think ,if the nexus s is the fastest android out when it officially arrives, that dual core phones should be nothing short of groundbreaking. (which are apparently scheduled for release as early as February.)

stephenj37826

Jan 17, 2009
When cynagen gets finished I don't think the nexus will be any better.
When kit gets optimized for the nexus it will help the galaxy s as well.
Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

azzeh3

Sep 6, 2010
i still want the nexus s really bad i just dont want to regret buying a second vibrant.

Leave this idea of being a second vibrant way behind my friend....
You may think its the same but its not....

It has a working GPS first off(change in radios)...Also its running stock thats optimized to the exact spec of the hardware. This phone is Google's new baby as the iphone to Apple.

itrustme

Aug 1, 2010
miami
Leave this idea of being a second vibrant way behind my friend....
You may think its the same but its not....

It has a working GPS first off(change in radios)...Also its running stock thats optimized to the exact spec of the hardware. This phone is Google's new baby as the iphone to Apple.

The Gps on my Vibrant has always worked since day one but i do agree with you on the nexus s being tailor fitted with android 2.3. so ,in theory ,again shouldn't the vibrant perform the same with the same exact version of ginger?(untainted by carrier or samsung)

TZAR@

Jun 20, 2010
Los Angeles
No micro SD slot, no 720p recording, no dual core, no HSPA+, no DLNA or HDMI out, imo this phone doesn't deserve the Nexus name. I'm waiting for something juicy from HTC. Hopefully HTC can get some samoled screens when they ramp up the new screen plant next year or a good equivalent. This is a big disappointment. This phone doesn't offer a big enough leap for me to put down my Nexus One.

Sent from my Nexus One CM6.1.0 using XDA App

azzeh3

Sep 6, 2010
my only option is to wait it out.

I mean theoretically if you can get stock android on to the Vibrant it should operate the same..

Oh and the Gps issue is less for some like when I used to have one but I guarantee you if you open google sky map your internal compass is going to freakout majorly....so Its the built in compass thats faulty.

itrustme

Aug 1, 2010
miami
at this point the only reason id buy the nexus s is for the google support. Makes me regret selling the nexus one even more FFFUUUUUUUUUUU*********....

onthecouchagain

Aug 13, 2010
at this point the only reason id buy the nexus s is for the google support. Makes me regret selling the nexus one even more FFFUUUUUUUUUUU*********....

That's basically what buying the Nexus S is coming down to: essentially for the direct and clean Android experience. It's a shame that it comes at a hefty price, and I don't just mean the big $529 price tag. One has to give up HSPA+ support, expandable SD slot, and soon, dual-core processors. Of course, it's up to people's preferences how important those things are.

Anderdroid

Dec 25, 2009
Palo Alto
ninjafighteronline.com
I'm sure the Nexus S will fly. Who needs dual cores in phones anyways honestly. If the Nexus S really is so smooth, it won't matter. Get a dual core in 2 years when they're optimized.

Also if there's anything I regret, it's not getting the Nexus One when it came out. However now I have the option to get a Nexus phone that isn't a downgrade from my Vibrant. I do own a Nexus One now and the Vibrant outdoes it in almost every way except for the fact that the Nexus One is stock android.

Imagine merging a Vibrant and a Nexus One and adding Gingerbread, NFC, and an FFC, and a concave display all in a gorgeous package. Nexus S.