FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[ROM] [TESTING] Mozilla Boot to Gecko -- 4-27-2012 CWM Flashable!

353 posts
Thanks Meter: 159

By uberamd, Senior Member on 11th April 2012, 02:49 AM
Post Reply Email Thread

General Info
  • It "worked", but don't set your expectations high (read the rest of the bullet points)
  • No hardware accleration (we knew this already)
  • I couldn't get a data signal (no 2G/3G), though it did see my AT&T SIM
  • Preferences/Settings are slim so I couldn't mess with APN settings to try to get data to work
  • Wifi will now connect (fixed in Build 2)
  • Couldn't test much at all due to no data connections working
  • Power button functionality was erratic. This seems to be fixed in Build 2.
  • Keyboard was actually very smooth
  • The OS became smoother after a few reboots, scrolling through windows felt Android 1.6ish, instead of being Windows Mobile 6ish
  • It shows a LOT of promise
  • Boots in about 5 seconds, shuts down in 1 second

Pictures of build 3 running on my Nexus S can be found here: http://uberamd.com/post/22200022691/...-boot-to-gecko

Changelog
Code:
Build 3:
- Code base from 4-27-2012
- Some tweaks made to get wifi working better (got some pages to load around 4-23-2012)
- Wifi now connects AND loads pages. This means that you can finally utilize the web browser and bundled apps.

Build 2:
- I now made it so the ROM can be flashed via CWM just like any Android ROM
- Code base from 4-12-2012
- Now connects to wireless (pages still won't load, looking into it)

Build 1:
- Initial release
- Restore via CWM "Backup/Restore"
Directions
  1. Ensure you have ClockworkMod on your Nexus S with a unlocked bootloader
  2. Boot into Android
  3. Copy b2g_nexuss_uberamd_signed.zip to your devices SD card
  4. Boot into recovery
  5. (optional) create a backup of your current setup
  6. Flash the b2g ROM
  7. Reboot
  8. Boom, B2G awesomeness

I tested it, and it works. It is a fresh B2G build for the Nexus S

Latest Download - Click Here!

Please do not use any version earlier than 2012-04-13! The earlier version is NOT flashable via CWM (it is a CWM backup archive).

About

These CAN now be flashed like any other Android ROM. Be sure to do a backup within CWM. You can always restore the CWM backup.

This ROM is compiled from official b2g sources, with occasionally modifications sprinkled in by me. Credit goes to those main b2g devs who are making awesome headway here!

These will be built and uploaded daily using the latest sources. The goal of this is to allow people to test B2G without having to setup a Linux build environment as well as download multiple gigabytes of code, and mess with udev. ulimits, and more.

You can follow any updates I have on this thread as well as the boot to gecko section of my website.
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to uberamd For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift uberamd Ad-Free
11th April 2012, 02:54 AM |#2  
Flag Nampa, Id
Thanks Meter: 46

Donate to Me
More
Will this work on the ns4g?

Sent via Tapatalk using a Nexus S 4G powered by Kangs ICS
11th April 2012, 03:16 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jralabate

Will this work on the ns4g?

Sent via Tapatalk using a Nexus S 4G powered by Kangs ICS

From what I understand, yes.
11th April 2012, 03:23 AM |#4  
Flag Nampa, Id
Thanks Meter: 46

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberamd

From what I understand, yes.

when u upload a flashable zip ill give it a shot
11th April 2012, 04:11 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 21

Donate to Me
More
I tried it on the ns4g and the wifi seems to be not working so im guessing that its only meant for regular ns? and it looks like its not connecting thru the 3g either so im guessing its not for the ns4g
11th April 2012, 04:25 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by t2noob

I tried it on the ns4g and the wifi seems to be not working so im guessing that its only meant for regular ns? and it looks like its not connecting thru the 3g either so im guessing its not for the ns4g

In my OP I state that 3G and Wifi also didn't work on the GSM Nexus S. Could be an issue with the current code base. I'm going to do a full rebuild tomorrow and see if it improves.
11th April 2012, 04:26 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 21

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

In my OP I state that 3G and Wifi also didn't work on the GSM Nexus S. Could be an issue with the current code base. I'm going to do a full rebuild tomorrow and see if it improves.

I should have read the whole post i just read certain things lol
MY BAD....
11th April 2012, 04:28 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by t2noob

I should have read the whole post i just read certain things lol
MY BAD....

No worries Hopefully we'll have more functionality in tomorrows build.
11th April 2012, 09:46 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:

to add on, the reboot is insanely fast, and i really mean it. shutdown is instant. NOT even almost. Yes instant.
11th April 2012, 11:25 AM |#10  
Flag Stuttgart
Thanks Meter: 32

More
Thumbs up
I'm quite impressed of how Boot to Gecko developed since it was announced. Although it has no hw acceleration it performs pretty well when scrolling through wondows. I hope that it will be developed to become something big.

What bothers me is that it wants an internet connection for apps like Cut The Rope - does that mean that it will need a permanent internet connection?

Edit: I tested it for half an hour and it only ate up only 8% of my battery.. wow.
11th April 2012, 02:35 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kostastoupas

I'm quite impressed of how Boot to Gecko developed since it was announced. Although it has no hw acceleration it performs pretty well when scrolling through wondows. I hope that it will be developed to become something big.

What bothers me is that it wants an internet connection for apps like Cut The Rope - does that mean that it will need a permanent internet connection?

Edit: I tested it for half an hour and it only ate up only 8% of my battery.. wow.

I believe it takes/will-take advantage of HTML caching to store applications offline after they are used once.

And yeah for having no HW acceleration, thus using a lot of CPU, it really was light on the battery. I'll see if the build today fixes anything, it'll be up this afternoon.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to uberamd For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift uberamd Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)