FORUMS

SNS Freezing - Help identify the cause

627 posts
Thanks Meter: 26

By xspyda, Senior Member on 4th April 2011, 08:52 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I'm trying to get to the bottom of this freezing issue affecting many users where the NS will not wake up from standby and requires a battery pull to rectify. As samsung or Google seem reluctant to do anything about this (or even acknowledge the problem) I wonder if we can narrow it down to what is causing the issue? If you are affected by this you will know what I am referring to without the need for further explanation.

If your NS is freezing, please copy and paste the following with your answers:

Length of ownership:
How long ago did freezing start:
Current software version:
Did you notice freezing before update:
Update method (Manual / OTA):
i9020 (SAMOLED) or i9023 (SCLCD):

Hopefully a colleciton of responses to the above might start to show a pattern so if as many of you can replay with your answers as possible we stand a better chance of narrowing this down.

note to mods: please don't move this to Q&A as with my other thread on the matter as this is not a question, more an attempt to gain more info. Thanks
4th April 2011, 09:17 PM |#2  
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter: 1,665

Donate to Me
More
stock ROM
ownership: since it came out in december
freezing: what freeze?
Did not notice any freeze, not before, not after
method OTA
i9020

same answer for custom ROMs, except for the OTA part
The Following User Says Thank You to AllGamer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AllGamer Ad-Free
4th April 2011, 09:30 PM |#3  
Flag Flowood, MS
Thanks Meter: 1,852

More
Length of Ownership: Since Feb 25, 2011
Freezing: yes, at random times have not pinpointed what/why (necessitating a battery pull every single time )
Version: 2.3.1 OTA
Noticed it shortly after the update (at least twice a week) but NOT before (the OTA update)
Edit: Stock
SAMOLED
Sent from either my Nexus S, N1 or telepathically using two tin cans and some string.
The Following User Says Thank You to Babydollll For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Babydollll Ad-Free
4th April 2011, 09:44 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
AllGamer are you on 2.3.3 or something else?

I'm hearing the issue effects all 2.3.x versions ... was there anything before this or is that what the NS released with - I can't recall from when I had mine at launch?
5th April 2011, 03:57 AM |#5  
Flag Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Hi,

My responses inline.

Length of ownership: 2 months
How long ago did freezing start: 1hr
Current software version: 233
Did you notice freezing before update: no
Update method (Manual / OTA): manual, on custom rom now
i9020 (SAMOLED) or i9023 (SCLCD): i9020

1 thing I noticed is that my freezing was not rectified even after puling the battery out, the only thing it responded was changing the sim card, then it took me phone registration screen and phone was fine after this even with old sim. Never encountered this problem after that.

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA App
5th April 2011, 04:44 AM |#6  
Flag Singapore
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Length of ownership: Jan 2011
How long ago did freezing start: Since Jan 2011 randomly
Current software version: 2.3.3 Cyanogen 7.0 RC4 with netarchy 1.3.0.1 CFS
Did you notice freezing before update: Yes
Update method (Manual / OTA): Manual , using custom roms

Additional comments : Personally, I think it has to do with both BLN and noLED apps and how the kernels are responding to them. BLN pro caused me more problems with the freezing as opposed to noLED so i moved back to noLED.

For me, the freezing is about once every 2-3 days and usually if i flash a non-netarchy CFS kernel. Once i'm on netarchy, it freezes less frequently. Maybe once a week and only if i overclock to 1.3 and charging at the same time. (Possible overheating problem?)

Hope my comments helps in your research. Thanks for doing this
5th April 2011, 02:21 PM |#7  
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter: 1,665

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xspyda

AllGamer are you on 2.3.3 or something else?

I'm hearing the issue effects all 2.3.x versions ... was there anything before this or is that what the NS released with - I can't recall from when I had mine at launch?

yes 2.3.3

have you guys tried wipe data + wipe cache?
5th April 2011, 11:47 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGamer

yes 2.3.3

have you guys tried wipe data + wipe cache?

I'm pretty sure that has been tried by many experiencing the problem to no avail. Seems that whatever causes the issue results in a hardware fault that neither Google or Samsung are willing to acknowledge.

I'd LOVE to hear of someone having actually fixed this problem.
6th April 2011, 06:37 AM |#9  
New York
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Length of ownership: 4 months
How long ago did freezing start: after 6 weeks
Current software version: 2.3|2.3.1|2.3.2|
Did you notice freezing before update: not sure
Update method (Manual / OTA): OTA

I bought my phone on 12/31/2010 with FW 2.3. The phone worked fine for about 6 weeks, maybe a bit less. At first I've noticed random reboot or freeze, but very very few of them. then it gradually escalated to unusable phone.

Quick summary of Samsung's service.
1.) I've send the phone for the 1st time - Samsung claims no issues found, restores phone to FW 2.3 and mails the phone back. I open a package a week later and cannot boot up the phone, the phone only displayed the while "Google" writing and a lock-pad on the bottom of the screen. After many and many retries I was able to boot up the phone but then it froze again.

2.) I've send the phone for the 2nd time - Samsung keeps the phone for a week and claims no issues found, restores phone to FW 2.3 and mails the phone back. I pick up my phone, put in my battery and the phone freezes within 5-10 minutes. So I mail it back again.

3.) I've send the phone for the 3rd time - They are evaluating I guess. I've called and some woman picked up (2nd level support here in US as i requested) very unfriendly and basically said to my face "we're evaluating your phone and you'll get your phone when you'll get it" and that she cannot do anything about this.

i will never buy a Samsung phone again.

They always reset to FW 2.3 which the phone still freezes on. Some Google guy claimed for a while that they are working on this but it seems doubtful.
here is the link:
http://www.google.com/support/forum/...db6d8e31129d4c
6th April 2011, 01:54 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
Wow, nasty experience with Samsung by the sound of it and from what. I've read this is all too common.

I'd personally be quite satisfied with the Nexus S but I don't think I could use one daily knowing that I could run into this problem at any time with no way to resolve and be at the mercy of Samsung who seemingly don't give a damn.

From the content of this thread I'm not seeeing any pattern as I'd hoped to. Shame, I really thought we might just learn something from this and sadly the only thing I am learning is to steer clear of Samsung.

Of course this issue doesn't affect every NS owner out there but is seems those tthat are unlucky enough to experience issues are left out in the cold.

Still interested to hear of other users' experiences. Thanks to all that have contributed so far, keep your reports coming guys.
8th April 2011, 11:03 PM |#11  
Flag Cupertino
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Length of ownership: Since the week of the US release
How long ago did freezing start: Roughly 2-3 weeks ago.
Current software version: 2.3.3
Did you notice freezing before update: No
Update method (Manual / OTA): OTA

I first noticed my phone randomly crash, reboot and then go to the recovery screen with the exclamation mark in the triangle. It was just sitting there when I saw it happen. Pulled the battery and booted fine.

The next day it crashed, rebooted and went into safe mode... which I had never even seen or used before. In safe mode it crashed again and rebooted and went into a crash > safe mode boot loop until I pulled the battery. Worked fine for a while and then the freezes started happening. I would go to power on the screen and nothing would happen. Pulled the batter and then it worked.

Sometimes it would freeze and the screen was just very dimly lit... sometimes I would see just the menu "buttons" lit. either way a battery pull was the only solution. Started happening more frequently... though again not if I was plugged in.

Tried full wipes a couple times including storage... even with just the standard apps installed it still would eventually freeze.

So using my Nexus One for now... I'm really not in a hurry to deal with Samsung so I've been putting off calling them. But I miss my NS in my hands...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)