Post Reply Email Thread
13th January 2011, 01:37 AM |#31  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap3604

Soooo...

Samsung has held back 2.3 from the Nexus One to help sales of the Nexus S

Samsung is holding back 2.2 from the Vibrant to help with sales of the Vibrant Plus

Samsung now going to hold back 2.4 from the Nexus S to help sales of the Nexus S Plus?

History indicates yes

I don't know how Samsung can hold back 2.3 from the Nexus One when
1) Google is the one that releases OTA updates on that phone and
2) Nexus One wasn't built by Samsung. HTC manufactured it.

Samsung is not going to hold back 2.4 from the Nexus S to help Nexus S Plus. Google is the one that controls the OTA updates... not Samsung. If anything, it would be Google holding back the update.

As for the Vibrant for the sale of the Vibrant Plus, that's all speculation.

I don't see how updating the original vibrant to 2.2 will cause anyone to pick the original vibrant over the vibrant plus. If they both have the same android OS version, the vibrant plus will still the better phone spec wise. There's no competition between the two since the vibrant plus is superior in every way.
13th January 2011, 01:38 AM |#32  
OP Member
Flag Brooklyn
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinan

Would be annoying... but if it has an amoled plus screen I'd be all over it... **** pentile matrix

I agree.

All I know is I have about 4 days (technically 3) to get this refund. I really don't want to have to get it and find out that it's really a Vibrant 4G. Although the picture is in the shape of a Nexus S.
13th January 2011, 01:39 AM |#33  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 94

More
Damn, so many cry babies in this thread. If your Nexus is good enough for you today, why wouldn't it be a few days, weeks, months from now. No one is putting a gun to your head forcing you to buy a slightly improved phone.
13th January 2011, 01:40 AM |#34  
Flag York/Wrightsville/Hanover
Thanks Meter: 53

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishrally

I'm saying it won't be a Nexus phone, it will be a Samsung phone that is almost identical to the Nexus S, like the HTC Desire and Nexus One. Google will not release another Nexus phone that is almost identical to the Nexus S. That wouldn't make any sense, but I suppose anything is possible.

I'm with you on this. Same thing that happened when I got my Nexus One then the desire came out, same phone slightly different features nothing major enough to switch
13th January 2011, 01:40 AM |#35  
OP Member
Flag Brooklyn
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wangjt

1) Google is the one that releases OTA updates on that phone and
2) Nexus One wasn't built by Samsung. HTC manufactured it.

Samsung is not going to hold back 2.4 from the Nexus S to help Nexus S Plus. Google is the one that controls the OTA updates... not Samsung. If anything, it would be Google holding back the update.

As for the Vibrant for the sale of the Vibrant Plus, that's all speculation.

I don't see how updating the original vibrant to 2.2 will cause anyone to pick the original vibrant over the vibrant plus. If they both have the same android OS version, the vibrant plus will still the better phone spec wise. There's no competition between the two since the vibrant plus is superior in every way.

The original Vibrant is running Eclair (2.1) not Froyo. Samsung hasn't made a Froyo push to the Vibrant yet. Probably because of the Vibrant Plus.
13th January 2011, 01:42 AM |#36  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
my 30 day return policy window is slowly closing in... I hope these shennanigans are figured out soon.
13th January 2011, 01:46 AM |#37  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menace II Society

The original Vibrant is running Eclair (2.1) not Froyo. Samsung hasn't made a Froyo push to the Vibrant yet. Probably because of the Vibrant Plus.

Yes I know that. I never said it had Froyo.
13th January 2011, 01:50 AM |#38  
Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 1,319

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menace II Society

That's mostly because of the network which is why they push out low speeds. I have a G2, I know. And us not being able to hit them RIGHT NOW doesn't mean we can't want it. Whenever T-Mobile fixes their network to be able to actually push out HSPA+ speeds then we can have a device ready to take it.

The FCC doesn't require new filings for minor changes so I'm quite curious to know what this really is because at the moment it's speculation. If it it a Nexus S+ I'll fire bomb Samsung's HQ's

Even if it's just the addition of full HSPA+ support I'd be pissed because I live in a very strong HSPA+ area (Los Angeles). When I was playing with MT4G at Best Buy before deciding to pick up the NS I was getting DL speeds of 9-11mb. Ok, I got 11 once and mostly 9 but still, I'd take it.
13th January 2011, 01:56 AM |#39  
California
Thanks Meter: 515

More
I'm sure the HTC Desire had a separate filing than N1 and there were very minor changes for that.
13th January 2011, 01:58 AM |#40  
Thanks Meter: 152

More
If this truly is a Nexus S+ then developers can and most likely will easily port whatever new Android iteration is released over - sometimes which run better and are more feature-rich than stock.

Some of you may have read my other posts in other threads, but I'm beginning to reevaluate the value of the Nexus line (and to a lesser degree, the Android experience in general). Maybe you're a developer, and of course people have different preferences so I cannot say what's the right phone for who, but I'm discovering the Nexus line may not be for me. It's a shame the alternatives aren't very inviting as well.

And if the Nexus S+ or whatever is true, it's just another problem with the Android experience: too disorganized and fractured.
13th January 2011, 01:58 AM |#41  
Thanks Meter: 443

More
Quote:

1) Google is the one that releases OTA updates on that phone

Samsung was working directly 1 on 1 with Google to make the Nexus S. You REALLY think they wouldn't ask Google to hold back 2.3 from the Nexus One for 3-4 months in order to increase peoples desire of the Nexus S???

If you don't think Samsung is a company that would do that then you need to see how they handled the Behold II update and Vibrant update they are holding back in order to increase desire for the Vibrant Plus...

Quote:

Samsung is not going to hold back 2.4 from the Nexus S to help Nexus S Plus. Google is the one that controls the OTA updates... not Samsung.

"Hey Google, please hold back 2.4 ota update from the Nexus S so we can sell this new phone some more" - signed, Samsung

Sounds pretty easy to me

Then again I'm all about the conspiracy theories
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)