FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor 9 Lite

[Q] Faulty Screen? (large images)

179 posts
Thanks Meter: 7

By dirk1978, Senior Member on 22nd December 2010, 12:30 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Can anyone with a Nexus S have a look at these photos and compare against their own? I want to be sure my screen is faulty before taking it back. Thanks.

Left: Galaxy S i9000 Right: Nexus S. Both with auto-brightness on.

Nice sharp clear text on the i9000:

The same text on the Nexus S:

Looking from an angle, the screen turns even more green/yellow:

Then with brightness turned up full on both:

Now looking from an angle the screen has a very blue tint on the NS, where the i9000 doesn't discolour at all:

The screen starts to look much better after about 50% brightness. Auto-brightness makes it look awful which makes me think the colour profile for the panel is wrong as if the brightness is set to full it's overly bright and has a blue tint.

Does anyone else see this behaviour?

22nd December 2010, 01:45 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 47

More
I do have a vibrant so I can compare in the same way... but again there's also differences among Vibrant panels. Anyway, my Vibrant is a bit more blue tinted than my Nexus S, and overall the Nexus S display seems nicer. However, as for viewing angle, the Vibrant doesn't distort at all, while the Nexus S changes color slightly, which I think is due to the gorilla glass in the Vibrant and lack of it in the Nexus S.

Your first pictures... I don't know if it's because of your camera's white balance, but the Nexus S is way too green. If anything, the Nexus S should be warmer (redder/yellower) than the Vibrant, which is what I see and was also reported by many reviewers. Also it should have exactly the same sharpness, so I think your display is kind of messed up... exchange if you can.
22nd December 2010, 02:08 AM |#3  
Flag Palo Alto
Thanks Meter: 106

Donate to Me
More
It's faulty. I have 3 Vibrant's in my hands right now due to my internal speaker stop working and getting warranty replacements. The warrant replacements both have blue tinted screen, so I asked for yet another. The original Vibrant I had has no blue tint and is gorgeous, but the Nexus S is even more vibrant and gorgeous.

You got a SAMOLED dud exchange it!
22nd December 2010, 11:53 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Yeah, your nexus S needs to be exchanged.

My S Screen looks even better than your i9000 phone. The colors on the i9000 look a little washed out, or not as vibrant. Of course that could just be the camera your using
22nd December 2010, 12:05 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bromsgrove, UK

More
Samsung QC appears to be utterly awful.
22nd December 2010, 12:13 PM |#6  
Flag Cleveland
Thanks Meter: 37

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk1978

Samsung QC appears to be utterly awful.

For the amount of phones they put out in what seemed like a rush, I think they did a decent job.
22nd December 2010, 01:24 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 40

More
Quote:

Can anyone with a Nexus S have a look at these photos and compare against their own? I want to be sure my screen is faulty before taking it back. Thanks.

Left: Galaxy S i9000 Right: Nexus S. Both with auto-brightness on.

Nice sharp clear text on the i9000:

The same text on the Nexus S:

Looking from an angle, the screen turns even more green/yellow:

Then with brightness turned up full on both:

Now looking from an angle the screen has a very blue tint on the NS, where the i9000 doesn't discolour at all:

The screen starts to look much better after about 50% brightness. Auto-brightness makes it look awful which makes me think the colour profile for the panel is wrong as if the brightness is set to full it's overly bright and has a blue tint.

Does anyone else see this behaviour?

to be honest i am kinda tired of going on repeat about this. but there are many bad screens. check my post history. you will find your aswers.

what i can say is there is warm yellow white " defective screen " and cool blue white " good screen "

one of your phones is defective.
The Following User Says Thank You to ll_l_x_l_ll For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ll_l_x_l_ll Ad-Free
22nd December 2010, 02:47 PM |#8  
Flag Los Angeles, CA
Thanks Meter: 427

More
Ok I'd say your screen is defective. Funny I placed my nexus one next to the S at the store, and the store unit had exact same issue as yours. My nexus one whites blew it away, it wasn't even close it was that bad. It's screen had some weird tint color like yours. Must have been a bad unit as well.
22nd December 2010, 02:49 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bromsgrove, UK

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ll_l_x_l_ll

to be honest i am kinda tired of going on repeat about this. but there are many bad screens. check my post history. you will find your aswers.

what i can say is there is warm yellow white " defective screen " and cool blue white " good screen "

one of your phones is defective.

Then don't.

My original post about the issue got lost in wrong thread so I've put in the right place. Your advice there was very much appreciated thanks. Now I know what I'm looking for.
22nd December 2010, 02:53 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 40

More
Quote:

Then don't.

My original post about the issue got lost in wrong thread so I've put in the right place. Your advice there was very much appreciated thanks. Now I know what I'm looking for.

sorry. i didnt mean to be rude . its just i explained it few times. and i am lil lazy so type it again but i wanted to help you out so i pointed you to my msg history. all good tho
22nd December 2010, 03:09 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bromsgrove, UK

More
No worries dude. Thanks for the help. Hopefully more people will know what to look for now.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)