FORUMS

[Q] Mount USB storage under ClockWorkmod Recovery 6.0.1.0

5 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By maxmalynowsky, Junior Member on 13th December 2012, 11:35 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello,

My phone had been experiencing a host of problems, so I formatted all partitions. (/sdcard, /system, /cache, /data, /boot)
I planned on using the "mount USB storage" to transfer a copy of CM10 to the sdcard and flash that from recovery,
but the device does not appear in my computer or device manager in windows, and Linux doesn't see it either.
In it's current state, it's soft bricked, is there anything I can do to fix it?
It now says "fastboot mode - no boot or recovery IMG", and I have no drivers to communicate with it under adb or fastboot.

Thanks,
-Max
14th December 2012, 03:18 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Thanks, but my issue is that I can't install the drivers, could it be a windows 8 thing?
Everything seems to require that I enter USB debugging first, which is impossible for me now.
I think the ADB driver is impossible to install, unless I can do it over CWM, and every fastboot driver I've tried has failed too.
15th December 2012, 06:30 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
How did you erase everything? Was it through fastboot or CWM?
15th December 2012, 02:38 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
I did it through CWM. I had just recently installed Windows 8, and hadn't connected it since then so no drivers are installed.
15th December 2012, 07:05 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmalynowsky

I did it through CWM. I had just recently installed Windows 8, and hadn't connected it since then so no drivers are installed.

In my opinion, its safer to erase everything from fastboot.

If fastboot recognizes your phone, then you can erase or install whatever you want.

If fastboot does not recognize your phone, then you can't erase it. You then need to find out why. Bad drivers, wrong folders, bad usb cable...In the meantime you phone will still work.

On my windows 7 box, under the administrator account, it took a while to set up the drivers, don't know why, but windows would not take it at first.

Maybe you can mail the phone to a xda member to get it going again...
15th December 2012, 10:28 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 31

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmalynowsky

Hello,

My phone had been experiencing a host of problems, so I formatted all partitions. (/sdcard, /system, /cache, /data, /boot)
I planned on using the "mount USB storage" to transfer a copy of CM10 to the sdcard and flash that from recovery,
but the device does not appear in my computer or device manager in windows, and Linux doesn't see it either.
In it's current state, it's soft bricked, is there anything I can do to fix it?
It now says "fastboot mode - no boot or recovery IMG", and I have no drivers to communicate with it under adb or fastboot.

Thanks,
-Max

I am sorry to hear about your phone. You are not alone I did the exact same thing a few days ago. Don't beat yourself up I have done that enough for both of us. Through my research into this i found there a few things that you might try (I don't own a PC so I haven't yet)
To get the drivers, I read a couple people had success downloading PDANet and installing them that way. I think they are located in "legacy drivers"
From the original "root, un-root" thread for your model download the stock boot img and try to flash that using ADB
follow the instructions to un-root and start over with rooting.
I also was going to look into Wug's toolkit (in the dev section) it looks like that may be an easy option to flash a working boot and recovery img.
I hope this helps please let me know.
I gave up to quick and ordered a GNex but I'm not touching that until I get my NS4G sorted out (my faith in my abilities is shaken and I could not handle bricking a brand new phone). I will be going to a friends house tonight to use their PC and try to get my NS running. I will be back to let you known what works and what doesn't. If you try or find anything would you please post? Two heads working on this issue are better then one. Thanks and good luck.

Sent from my temp PC36100 while my Nexus is sick using Tapatalk 2
16th December 2012, 07:08 AM |#8  

More
*** success ***
The solution was an easy one thanks to our developers, the hard part was finding the answer and of course, beating myself up for making the mistake in the first place. Here's what you do...
Leave your phone with the battery out for a while. Download "Wug's Nexus Toolkit" In found it in the NS4G dev section but I believe it covers all variants (not sure which you have) at the select your model and custom JB ROM download the drivers (from the actual toolkit) turn on, plug in and select flash stock img, relock boot loader, pick the stock ROM you want and press go and your phone will be flashed and reboot in under a minute. Sign in on your phone (the toolkit should auto populate your new ROM and then just follow the steps to unlock, flash and install a custom recovery then pick any ROM you want and start over.
I really hope this helps you as I'm sure you find the whole situation as stomach-churning as I did. Please PM me and let me know.
If it does work please leave a thank you or donation to the dev for creating such an awesome tool. Again, good luck hope you get your nex back online.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
16th December 2012, 04:21 PM |#9  
OP Junior Member

More
The Nexus Toolkit was actually my first option, it's helped me out before. I went back and tried installing the drivers using the 3 options it gives. # 3 & #2, RAW and Samsung signed drivers don't work. Option #1, the PDAnet drivers didn't work last time I tried it (all 3 options require USB debugging enabled). However, I just tried #1 again by turning on the device in CWM and that seemed to work, but I'm not sure (installation went according to the guide). However, once I tried to flash stock img, it gave me errors about not being able to reach the device in fastboot. Can you elaborate on those two steps, driver installation and flashing? As soon as I can get fastboot to recognize my device I can pretty much take it from there. BTW, I've got a i9020A and using NRT 1.6.1; and what's the significance of leaving the phone with the battery out for a while?
17th December 2012, 12:17 AM |#10  

More
Mine was in the box with the battery out overnight. When I had access to a PC and plugged it in it said something at the bottom of the fastboot screen in grey that it did not before and I actually think that was the trick (System normal or system OK or something like that and when replugged to the USB the message just repeated and stacked up on the lower left of the fastboot screen). Try letting the phone sit for a while. All driver options failed for me except the tool kit.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
17th December 2012, 05:30 PM |#11  
OP Junior Member

More
Tried your fix, but the phone remains unable to have it's drivers installed. It's always giving "USB device not recognized" errors no matter what I do. I'm just going to shelf it and accept my loss. Thanks for the help though!
edit: Tried using some Linux tools, much greater success! This guide finally got my device listed under fastboot: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1447040
edit2: Up and running again with the android-tools-fastboot package for Linux and a standard stock image flash: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1572307
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)