[Q] Why is my Nexus S so slow?

Search This thread

deejaylobo

Feb 22, 2011
Abu Dhabi
Thanks for all your replies.

Sorry to bump up this thread but, I just wanted to report back. Flashing CO2 didn't go so well for me, and the lag came back. So then a few days ago, I decided to start fresh. I wiped my device and USB storage and flashed stock Android 2.3.4, I installed all my apps through the market. I'm at around 85 now.

So far, everything is running really smooth! I'm really surprised! Muffin Knight too! And some syncing apps that had stopped working due to my serial flashing, work fine again - Chrome to Phone is one of them. There was a cool video making app called Autodancer that would not work at all on the AOSP CO2 ROM, but it works great on stock. Actually, it does not seem to work well for most users and it's got a really bad rating because of that. Works well for me on stock.

I never really gave stock much of chance; rooted and flashed a different ROM as soon as I got my phone but, now I don't think I'll be flashing new ROMs anytime soon. Something is off about them(for me at least), and none of them have been able to provide as good an experience(EDIT: in the long run) as stock the way Google intended.

Last edited:

dhiral.v

May 27, 2009
London
Thanks for all your replies.

Sorry to bump up this thread but, I just wanted to report back. Flashing CO2 didn't go so well for me, and the lag came back. So then a few days ago, I decided to start fresh. I wiped my device and USB storage and flashed stock Android 2.3.4, I installed all my apps through the market. I'm at around 85 now.

So far, everything is running really smooth! I'm really surprised! Muffin Knight too! And some syncing apps that had stopped working due to my serial flashing, work fine again - Chrome to Phone is one of them. There was a cool video making app called Autodancer that would not work at all on the AOSP CO2 ROM, but it works great on stock. Actually, it does not seem to work well for most users and it's got a really bad rating because of that. Works well for me on stock.

I never really gave stock much of chance; rooted and flashed a different ROM as soon as I got my phone but, now I don't think I'll be flashing new ROMs anytime soon. Something is off about them(for me at least), and none of them have been able to provide as good an experience(EDIT: in the long run) as stock the way Google intended.

I had exactly the same problem as you did, on every custom rom I flashed I would get serious lag after a couple of days. I then decided to revert back to stock rom and have had no issues since, so seems that stock is best. I also think that third party launchers create lag after a while also so I would recommend sticking with stock launcher.

It's a shame because I really liked CM7.1 and all the extra customisations it brings.

I do also think that the nexus s does lack ram, if it did have 1GB or even 768MB of ram there definatley wouldn't be an issue.

tevil

Aug 10, 2011
New Haven, CT
Google Pixel 4a 5G
I flashed CM7 back around Feb / March but stability was an issue at that point still so I went back to stock. Since then I've never had any issues with running a rooted stock rom on the Nexus S so I never had any interest in most of the custom roms (outside of a few AOSP roms I built myself) as they all seem to introduce little bugs for the most part and I have little use for the "tweaks" and customizations included in most.

which stock do you use? Or do you just load stock and root it yourself?

as for the OP, 100 apps????? Do you ever go into running prog and shut some down? I dont even think i HAVE 100 apps. I hate app ratting reminds me of iphone users (used to be one and for like every 50th apps my freinds had i had 2)

Last edited:

deejaylobo

Feb 22, 2011
Abu Dhabi
which stock do you use? Or do you just load stock and root it yourself?

as for the OP, 100 apps????? Do you ever go into running prog and shut some down? I dont even think i HAVE 100 apps. I hate app ratting reminds me of iphone users (used to be one and for like every 50th apps my freinds had i had 2)

I shouldn't have to. Android is supposed to have good memory management, which is why Task Killers are not recommended. Shutting down running apps is the same thing. Besides, I checked the running apps and there was never anything out of the ordinary.

Also, if Android must compete with iOS, it needs to be able to handle a a lot of apps like iOS does. Anyway, I now believe there must be something off with memory management on all those custom ROMs, as my phone is running quite smooth on stock...despite my "app ratting".

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA App

I

iammagic

I agree.

I've been trying all roms.
I found stock rom is the best.

bingstring

Jun 20, 2011
I had exactly the same problem as you did, on every custom rom I flashed I would get serious lag after a couple of days. I then decided to revert back to stock rom and have had no issues since, so seems that stock is best. I also think that third party launchers create lag after a while also so I would recommend sticking with stock launcher.

It's a shame because I really liked CM7.1 and all the extra customisations it brings.

I do also think that the nexus s does lack ram, if it did have 1GB or even 768MB of ram there definatley wouldn't be an issue.

This all was happen with me!
STOCK ROM IS THE BEST !!!!!

fightingroost12

Oct 12, 2010
I shouldn't have to. Android is supposed to have good memory management, which is why Task Killers are not recommended. Shutting down running apps is the same thing. Besides, I checked the running apps and there was never anything out of the ordinary.

Also, if Android must compete with iOS, it needs to be able to handle a a lot of apps like iOS does. Anyway, I now believe there must be something off with memory management on all those custom ROMs, as my phone is running quite smooth on stock...despite my "app ratting".

everything has its limitations, stop sounding so entitled
"i shouldnt have to" yes you should, your phone cant figure everything out for you. 100 apps is A LOT i have like... 10 besides the stock apps and i never experience lag. We dont have magical black rectangles in our pockets they are phones. Little computers, and sometimes computers run poorly when pushed to their limits. Google has never been quoted to saying the nexus s is known for having 100 apps on the phone. Also dont forget that this phone is a year old, which means the apps your running are more advanced (by a little) than they were last year thanks to constant developer updates. when you have over 100 thats going to take a toll
be smart, think about what your doing, and for gods sake take care of your phone

Reactions: alx1xla

alx1xla

Aug 30, 2014
Should be the way to go!

I very much rely on the stock ROM. Running it along with CWM Recovery and CWM SuperUser. Nothing else. At times, it does show up with the lag. Like once in a year. ;)

(Update)] Seems like there is a issue off-late. After I posted this comment, I went ahead with a complete reset. Duh... It is sloooooooooooooow, now! OMG! What have I done?! :eek:

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So, no one else experiences lags after a few days of running all their apps? Maybe once they cross the 70 apps mark. No stutters in scrolling or gaming? No one else notices Android's poor multi-tasking? Poor app load times, poor widget response times?

I'm trying to figure out if it's just my phone or whether this happens to everyone.

EDIT: Maybe I should revert back to stock and if the lags continue, I could take it in to the shop under warranty?

No, No and No - > 100 apps - stock rom. Everything remains smooth and has for a long time. I reboot the phone maybe twice a month and never force clear the dalvik cache.
    Okay, I used to love this phone. I got it back in Feb when it was relatively new to where I live and the first thing I did was root and flash it with CM. This gave me a serious case of ORD and I couldn't stop trying out new ROMs on my phone. It was amazing! And fun! And everything was quick. Couple months down the line, I lost my phone and quickly replaced it with another Nexus S. More flashing ensued.

So, now 8 months down the line, I find myself getting a little bored with the constant flashing and I've been looking for something that will be stable. Now, here's the problem, after the first flash of a ROM everything seems super zippy! And it fills me with hope and brings a tear to my eye. But, then I start actually using my phone...load 25 apps...everything's fine...50 apps...going strong...75 apps, 4 days in...uh oh, OH HAI LAG!...*phone makes a trollface*...100 apps, a week in...the lag is so bad I can't do any gaming...my favourite game Muffin Knight makes me want to chuck my phone across the room; it lags so much that by the time I think I've got me a sweet muffin, I'm somehow teleported to a little rat's back. This is the case with any ROM - CM7, MIUI, several AOSP ROMs like Oxygen, CO2, SuperAOSP/OSR, NexusBread. All of them slow down after several days.

What causes this? Can it be a hardware issue? Do I have a faulty phone? Could it be I flashed too much? I never really was one for overclocking, my phone doesn't handle it well for the long haul. Is it Android's memory management that is poor? Oh, and while we're on the topic. What the heck is "True Multitasking"? Does it mean, when I'm playing a game, I get a call and when I hang up, the game has restarted? Or I load a page on my browser and when I go back it has to reload? Or pausing any game and pressing home to do something else, then coming back to it to see it has to restart? I don't think my phone can handle more than two tasks well.

Anyway, at this point, what do the XDAliens think I should do? A hard reset? Maybe format my SD card too? Or what else can I do? Any suggestions would help.

wipe your dalvik and try to reboot at least once a day,
    Thanks for the reply. I clear the dalvik ALL the time for flashing a new ROM or when my current one is feeling laggy. Maybe I shouldn't have. EDIT: I'm curious...Why do you not clear the Dalvik? Just because you've never had to?

Have you ever flashed other ROMs? Maybe bare AOSP ROMs like DevNull? Any issues there?

I'm thinking I should reset, reformat and return to stock...

I don't see a reason to clear the Dalvik cache on a regular basis - that advice just doesn't make any sense. After you clear it, it just gets rebuilt when you reboot anyway, and just leads to a really long start up time. Unless you are installing / uninstalling a massive amount of apps and you feel the cache is far too large it just doesn't make sense. Between rom flashes, sure. But as a regular thing to help performance? That just doesn't hold water for me.

I flashed CM7 back around Feb / March but stability was an issue at that point still so I went back to stock. Since then I've never had any issues with running a rooted stock rom on the Nexus S so I never had any interest in most of the custom roms (outside of a few AOSP roms I built myself) as they all seem to introduce little bugs for the most part and I have little use for the "tweaks" and customizations included in most.

everything has its limitations, stop sounding so entitled
    "i shouldnt have to" yes you should, your phone cant figure everything out for you. 100 apps is A LOT i have like... 10 besides the stock apps and i never experience lag. We dont have magical black rectangles in our pockets they are phones. Little computers, and sometimes computers run poorly when pushed to their limits. Google has never been quoted to saying the nexus s is known for having 100 apps on the phone. Also dont forget that this phone is a year old, which means the apps your running are more advanced (by a little) than they were last year thanks to constant developer updates. when you have over 100 thats going to take a toll
    be smart, think about what your doing, and for gods sake take care of your phone