FORUMS

[Q] NFC detects my work ID/vending card

20 posts
Thanks Meter: 2

By 1979crazy, Junior Member on 11th March 2011, 07:25 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi

This is my first post on the forum but have used the forum for a while and its a great place.

By chance I put my work ID/Vending machine card (one that you top up with cash to use the vending machines) next to my Nexus S and it flashed up on the screen 'new tag collected' and 'unknown tag type'

Whats does this mean? and interestingly what can I do with it?

Has anyone else had this?

Cheers for looking
12th March 2011, 04:32 AM |#2  
Flag NYC
Thanks Meter: 604

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979crazy

Hi

This is my first post on the forum but have used the forum for a while and its a great place.

By chance I put my work ID/Vending machine card (one that you top up with cash to use the vending machines) next to my Nexus S and it flashed up on the screen 'new tag collected' and 'unknown tag type'

Whats does this mean? and interestingly what can I do with it?

Has anyone else had this?

Cheers for looking

I just did it as well.. same thing.. I think I'm going to try to use it to get past security and buy lunch Monday

Edit: never mind it won't let me 'share' the unknown tag

Edit2: there are apps that will let you store it and share it in market.. So trying this monday..

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk
12th March 2011, 05:18 AM |#3  
Flag Pittsburgh
Thanks Meter: 65

More
nfc is what most touch badges use ironically. You would have to have the nfc transmit or resonate the same signal as your badge for it to work
12th March 2011, 06:36 AM |#4  
Flag NYC

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by drksilenc

nfc is what most touch badges use ironically. You would have to have the nfc transmit or resonate the same signal as your badge for it to work

I figured that but I'll give it a shot anyway. maybe get dirty looks from security.

16th March 2011, 08:54 AM |#5  
Dubai
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by [hfm]

I figured that but I'll give it a shot anyway. maybe get dirty looks from security.

Even I am interested in this ... Any luck with swiping your phone to get past the door?

Also, if it did work, could you tell me what application you used to share the unknown tag? I am, right now, still waiting for the 2.3.3 OTA (yes, i am a bit of a noob)... but i guess if this thing works, i wouldnt mind being a bit adventurous and installing OTA via my SD card (yeah ... you're right..if i take that to be 'being adventurous' u know how big a noob i am )
16th March 2011, 10:19 AM |#6  
Flag NYC

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilashraj

Even I am interested in this ... Any luck with swiping your phone to get past the door?

Also, if it did work, could you tell me what application you used to share the unknown tag? I am, right now, still waiting for the 2.3.3 OTA (yes, i am a bit of a noob)... but i guess if this thing works, i wouldnt mind being a bit adventurous and installing OTA via my SD card (yeah ... you're right..if i take that to be 'being adventurous' u know how big a noob i am )

Didn't work.. at least it didn't work with the vending machines. I didn't try the security gate.

I tried a couple different nfc apps from the market. There isn't very many, could toy with all of them.

16th March 2011, 10:53 AM |#7  
Dubai
Thanks Meter: 8

More
aww maan...wud've been totally awesome if it'd worked though ..
i have to use an access card to get thru everything here.. entrances/carparks/doors/ office rooms ...

oww well..guess i still have to stay old school :P
thanks for the confirm though..
16th March 2011, 01:28 PM |#8  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Plainfield
Thanks Meter: 538

More
Just to shed some light here. It is possible for the Nexus S to push a message to a waiting device. However, it currently pushes NDEF messages.

Most of your "security" based RFID tags are probably not NDEF formated. Many use the MiFare Classic tags due to size and their low cost. These tags can be formated to NDEF for use with the Nexus S (that's how I use them), but likely aren't that way out of the gate.

Run a logcat when you touch the tag look at what the intent coming in says.

For an NDEF formated tag it will look something like this:
I/ActivityManager( 118): Starting: Intent { act=android.nfc.action.NDEF_DISCOVERED typ=text/plain flg=0x10000000 (has extras) } from pid 200
I/ActivityManager( 118): Starting: Intent { flg=0x10000000 cmp=com.android.nfc/.TechListChooserActivity (has extras) } from pid 200

Try NXP Tag Writer and see if it will read the card contents or identify the type of message stored.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)