[Q] [NS4G] Getting weird texts from Sprint via 9016

Search This thread

rougegoat

Jul 26, 2010
I have received two very unusual texts that don't seem to make much sense to me.

//ANDROID:${from} has sent you a Sprint Voice Message. Call ${callbackno} to listen. CFGs1840.105f53c3ffe2cafd3961pAZFdYeN//CM

Not entirely sure what this one is referring to. I don't use Sprint Voice mail because I use Google Voice. So my voice mail messages should be on that instead. I've never even bothered to set up the Sprint voice mail as I never have any intention of using it.

//ANDROID:provisioning successful CFGv320c.0=07c5/tHGbo5//CM

Not entirely sure what this one means. Googling it showed that it meant a text was successfully sent and for some reason my phone didn't filter out the message. I didn't send a text when I received this one though.

Both of these were sent from the phone number 9016. Looking it up this seems to be a Sprint number of some sort. I asked some other Sprint Android users if they got anything similar, and they had not. So is anyone else with a Nexus S 4G getting weird texts like this?

herbthehammer

May 16, 2010
Sounds like sprint spam. That's weird that your phone is displaying code. I'd just ignore it.

joeykrim

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 9, 2009
I just received this today also. Messages exactly same as the OP and on the same phone and carrier ...
Not sure what it is all about either .. any detailed answers?

drtdiver83

Feb 9, 2010
the message is how sprint handles visual voice mail. did you happen to have a phone before that had visual voice mail and never reset your voice mail settings when you got your nexus?

snandlal

Apr 14, 2010
Joeykrim, big fan.

Try going to messaging app and do the following: send a text to 9999 and as the message type: Block 9016. You will get a text confirming blockage of that #

Uncle Jimmy says hello

rougegoat

Jul 26, 2010
the message is how sprint handles visual voice mail. did you happen to have a phone before that had visual voice mail and never reset your voice mail settings when you got your nexus?

Had an Evo for 29 days, but I'm brand new to Sprint beyond that. I never set up any voicemail beyond Google Voice though.

Haven't had another instance of these texts yet though, so I'm just assuming a glitch on Sprint's side.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G "Lore" using XDA Premium App

glitchd

Feb 12, 2010
multiple 9016 text messages.

I think i have found a fix for this annoying problem.
Ive found that it happens when u install some other text message app to handle your text messages instead of the stock messaging system.
I believe the 9016 messages are suppose to be hidden or silent messages and not actually get displayed, but when you set another program to handle all the messages, it doesnt know its not suppose to display it.
*So the FIX that i found that works is to,
tell the new text message program to Not Disable other message notifications. Meaning, remove the check mark associated with that option.